Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM

19 posts, read 8,553 times

Advertisements

After doing a lot of research and weighing the pros and cons of different places I still find LI to be pretty decent and upwardly mobile. True the roads in the inner neighborhood / sidewalks are becoming an eye sore but overall highways and parkways are well maintained and done.

With milder winters LI is becoming a place to be as far as weather is concerned. Climate change and other factors like excessive rains/ storms / hurricane / fires are all making few of the traditional good weather areas problematic to say the least. Taxes are a problem all over the USA as more and more counties have started to rip their residents and find them easy meat.

My two cents !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 AM

450 posts, read 388,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post
After doing a lot of research and weighing the pros and cons of different places I still find LI to be pretty decent and upwardly mobile. True the roads in the inner neighborhood / sidewalks are becoming an eye sore but overall highways and parkways are well maintained and done.

With milder winters LI is becoming a place to be as far as weather is concerned. Climate change and other factors like excessive rains/ storms / hurricane / fires are all making few of the traditional good weather areas problematic to say the least. Taxes are a problem all over the USA as more and more counties have started to rip their residents and find them easy meat.

My two cents !!

Better neighborhoods will have high taxes, not only because everything is nicer (sometimes it's not, look at Syosset, roads crumbling) but also people want to be among their income level of people, further, area living costs always go hand in hand with income for the area. Sometimes I look at random places, you can buy almost a whole town for the price of some of the "needs work" homes in Nassau and Suffolk. That is awesome if you can live that lifestyle.

Regarding climate change, hot places are getting hotter, cold places are getting colder, and hurricanes and super storms are regular occurrence now. Raising see levels is another threat to LI, so for people like us deciding to stay, I would at least move away from water front and go for higher ground.
Despite extreme summers and winters, places like Arizona, Nevada and Utah are gaining residents while NY, CA, IL lose residents. I don't have the historical data, but I feel like there is always someone leaving New York.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:23 AM

19 posts, read 8,553 times
Yes roads are a big eye sore if not just bumpy ride considering the taxes we pay. There is something wrong in this department as I keep seeing the same roads being done again every few year even with minor wear and tear whereas the rest of the roads are left unattended for more than 10 years to say the least.

Beyond that things are still under control in terms of living in big cities if you compare is what i meant to say here.

Weather patterns have assisted LI this place had amazing weather for last 2 years and one can enjoy all the season to the fullest. I am big on mild winters and we have been blessed last 2 years so let see how the weather pattern moves ahead.
Its the job which will move people and not so much as living conditions.

But true this is not a place to retire.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:36 AM

20,135 posts, read 20,929,615 times
3/4 of our tax money is tied up in salaries.
The last 1/4 is what's left for infrastructure.
That's why the roads and public properties are in 3rd world condition.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2012 View Post

My two cents !!
Have to concur with this 2 center. Despite whatever the experts and deniers say, I am using less and less heating oil and earning more and more solar credits. Never had credits carry me through January until this year and last.

And the expats fleeing to the no-tax southern 'burbs are also running for office there, in effect importing the same ponzi tax employment and self-dealing benefits/pay schemes they learned here. Taxes in the 6th borough (Broward) in decent school areas (say Weston/Parkland) are creeping up to LI levels...with no beaches or bagels, even.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Northerners are like a cancer.
They bring everything they allege they are escaping with them. The south has been ruined. Most of the desirable areas have been all pooped up by northern transplants.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post

And the expats fleeing to the no-tax southern 'burbs are also running for office there, in effect importing the same ponzi tax employment and self-dealing benefits/pay schemes they learned here. Taxes in the 6th borough (Broward) in decent school areas (say Weston/Parkland) are creeping up to LI levels...with no beaches or bagels, even.
This is one of the biggest misnomers about what is happening in other suburbs... it's almost like a feel good thought for LIers, but it's not based in reality. "southern 'burbs" will never reach "LI levels". The reason is nobody is going to make the same mistake of A level salary and benefits for their civil servants. Nobody is coming from LI, running for office, and recreating that. In fact, it is just the opposite... LI has even changed away from it, but the problem is that the damage is already done. They have to perpetually support the salaries and sweet retirement packages of the old timers... who won't be dying soon enough.

Now, I won't speak directly for a county in FL, but in general if higher end suburbs see increases in taxes it is because they are building new schools, building new roads, getting shiny new things. They aren't paying out the nose for cops, teachers, and their retirement packages while still having 40-50 year old crumbling infrastructure they can't afford to fix... and they won't be saddled with that circular paradigm.

It is a very big distinction that gets lost with incorrectly believing other places will reach "LI levels" in taxes. They simply won't.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:41 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,338,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Have to concur with this 2 center. Despite whatever the experts and deniers say, I am using less and less heating oil and earning more and more solar credits. Never had credits carry me through January until this year and last.

DING DING, I have a relative that went to Parkland, the prices now WOW. The taxes are no bargain anymore. a 550k 2800 sq ft home in parkland has a tax bill between 8-12k these days. You probably have to pay an HOA and sewer and garbage are not included in your taxes and your water bill is $200 a month. Florida is no longer the bargain it once was. There are plenty of beaches deerfield beach is nice and a short drive. Of course you can live in a cheaper area, in Florida when you go cheap its very apparent.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is one of the biggest misnomers about what is happening in other suburbs... it's almost like a feel good thought for LIers, but it's not based in reality. "southern 'burbs" will never reach "LI levels". The reason is nobody is going to make the same mistake of A level salary and benefits for their civil servants. Nobody is coming from LI, running for office, and recreating that. In fact, it is just the opposite... LI has even changed away from it, but the problem is that the damage is already done. They have to perpetually support the salaries and sweet retirement packages of the old timers... who won't be dying soon enough.

Now, I won't speak directly for a county in FL, but in general if higher end suburbs see increases in taxes it is because they are building new schools, building new roads, getting shiny new things. They aren't paying out the nose for cops, teachers, and their retirement packages while still having 40-50 year old crumbling infrastructure they can't afford to fix... and they won't be saddled with that circular paradigm.

It is a very big distinction that gets lost with incorrectly believing other places will reach "LI levels" in taxes. They simply won't.
Florida is humid, swampland and flat. No character. Different strokes for different folks, but ick. I'll take my corrupt politicians and overpaid teachers & cops here any day of the week.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:49 AM

If you're starting from scratch it's all relative.
When you had a crappy LI job or limited job skills, you move south and end up in the same boat. A low paying job and still can't afford a house. The only way to do it and make it work is to make a mint here and bring that with you.

Most morons make the mistake of selling their 500k house here and buying a 500k house there, you know because they need to be a bigshot and brag on Facebook about their glorious new home to all the family and friends they left behind, who in all honesty probably couldn't care any less because it's just pictures of a house 1000 miles away.

So now you've got your Florida or NC mansion that you can't afford because the job market sucks and you realize that the only thing really cheaper is the actual cost of the home. Groceries, insurances, etc all pretty much cost the same as here. Then you can't come back because you will take an acid bath selling your home, if you can sell it.

It's common advise ad nauseum to all who dare the move to really think it through and do your homework.
Many people just get blinded by the dream of endless summer and 250k dollar 3 bed 2 bath houses and really don't do the proper due diligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island