Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 10:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I've been involved in new construction, I can 110% guarantee you that Baldwin house will not look like that, all that molding, trim, coffered ceilings will be upgrades. No one builds with baseboard heat , it costs way more $$ than forced air. I like how the builder shows the photos for "workmanship" He puts all fancy trim work etc but has photos of some cheap crap $35 sq ft absolute black granite and a bathroom with a one piece counter top and sink. He couldn't spring for real stone and under mount sinks for a few hundred more.
Where is the link for the Baldwin house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommutinJoe View Post
That area is Oceanside and a hospital is on that corner. Nothing remotely scary about it unless you have iatrophobia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Baldwin gets a unfair bad rap sometimes. The harbor & bay colony is absolutely beautiful. I think it's a great alternative if you want to be near the water but can't afford the Merrick McMansions.
It does. Would I ever move there? No way. But that's me and I have issues, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from considering it.
TBH I think Baldwin was actualy rougher in the 80's, at least from my experience. It definitely has sketchy areas and some blight but I'd say it's no better or worse than Oceanside or Valley Stream.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM

24 posts, read 19,066 times
Quote:
I've been involved in new construction, I can 110% guarantee you that Baldwin house will not look like that, all that molding, trim, coffered ceilings will be upgrades. No one builds with baseboard heat , it costs way more $$ than forced air. I like how the builder shows the photos for "workmanship" He puts all fancy trim work etc but has photos of some cheap crap $35 sq ft absolute black granite and a bathroom with a one piece counter top and sink. He couldn't spring for real stone and under mount sinks for a few hundred more.

the photos posted are from another house in merrick.. the house is baldwin is not def not going to have some of the details but they say that pretty will have the similar finishes.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It does. Would I ever move there? No way. But that's me and I have issues, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from considering it.
TBH I think Baldwin was actualy rougher in the 80's, at least from my experience. It definitely has sketchy areas and some blight but I'd say it's no better or worse than Oceanside or Valley Stream.
Baldwin isn't as 'pretty' as other towns when you're driving through it, but the homes especially up North are very charming. It's solid. Is it the best? Course not, but I wouldn't discourage it either.

Be a good person. Be considerate. Stay out of trouble & likely a person will be fine there.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:42 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,939 times
I've usually found that you can tell a lot about the quality of life of a town by their downtown. Is it clean and well-maintained? Are there a lot of empty storefronts? Are there cute little shops and restaurants, or just a collection of big box store stores and franchises? Are people just hanging around outside of these establishments, or are they actually patronizing them? Is it walkable?

Old 01-09-2020, 11:55 AM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Most of LI doesn’t have downtowns.
Not many "Main Street USA" places left.
It's mostly major roads with big box, or run down strip malls. And the zip code doesn't really matter. It all looks the same everywhere.
Now when you go down the residential streets that is more telling...

Old 01-09-2020, 12:13 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where is the link for the Baldwin house?
google!! or Zillow etc only one new construction home in the OP posted price.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM

450 posts, read 387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I've usually found that you can tell a lot about the quality of life of a town by their downtown. Is it clean and well-maintained? Are there a lot of empty storefronts? Are there cute little shops and restaurants, or just a collection of big box store stores and franchises? Are people just hanging around outside of these establishments, or are they actually patronizing them? Is it walkable?

I go by financial institutions and type of chain restaurants, if the main street (not downtown, but the main road of the town, because these days a lot of places don't have downtown, especially parts of Suffolk) has banks, and like you said coffee shops, leisure places rather than 99c stores or nail salons or pawn shops, it's always a good sign. There are towns like Dix Hills with no downtown, and if you considered Deer Park the downtown for Dix Hills, you would mistaken it for a worse town, while it's a great place to live (from what I've seen so far looking at properties) but that downtown area also serves many lower income neighborhoods, some of the worst in terms of SD like Wyandanch. Sadly also attracts a lot of out of towners due to the outlets, and it's hell to travel through during holidays.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,172,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
That's a good point, looking at a house for $560k vs $620k your monthly payment can vary greatly depending on taxes and other factors. I always go to county website and never rely on what listing has.

Elke, how realistic are the homeowner insurance estimates on places like Zillow? That's another factor Nikki needs to be aware of. I am seeing for $600-$800k houses showins $2500-$3000/year for HOI. That sounds pretty high. I don't pay nearly that much for 2-family property that's worth double those in the boroughs.
There could be a number of reasons, and price isn't necessarily one of them.
It's about improvements, overall coverage, does it include replacement value and automatic increase? These are just a few things that go into it.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
google!! or Zillow etc only one new construction home in the OP posted price.
Found it.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Baldwin/22...home/169389205

Looks nice. Curious to see the front.

Really nice inside. I'd buy that.

New construction is hard to come by in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island