Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 01:32 AM

430 posts, read 562,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Here is LI at its finest. Gathering in groups to buy guns

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/new-yo...irus-outbreak/
Why buy guns? Everyone around us is now hoarding goods. People everywhere are acting out of irrational fear and fighting over things like toilet paper. Police aren't arresting anybody. Jails are being emptied because of the coronavirus. We are one natural disaster away from a real crisis. Imagine if the power went out tomorrow and wasn't coming back on for a week or more. Things could get ugly very fast. I can see why people are buying guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 08:55 AM

1,540 posts, read 2,441,276 times
Those “older folks” are the Fox News, Rush and Hannity crowd who heard it is like the common cold and/or a hoax.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,201,323 times
You watch wayy to many movies!

Breathe a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Why buy guns? Everyone around us is now hoarding goods. People everywhere are acting out of irrational fear and fighting over things like toilet paper. Police aren't arresting anybody. Jails are being emptied because of the coronavirus. We are one natural disaster away from a real crisis. Imagine if the power went out tomorrow and wasn't coming back on for a week or more. Things could get ugly very fast. I can see why people are buying guns.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,558,960 times
UPDATE: MY FAITH IN HUMANITY IS RESTORED.

For the past 2 days, only patients with true issues showed up.
I may have been premature on Monday to vent my frustration with non urgent visitors since it was just the beginning of mass social distancing. Seems as the days go by, more people are getting the message.

Now if we can get those damn spring breaking millennials to listen.
Get off my lawn (I'm a Gen X'er).

Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,652,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
As a millennial, where do you think the stereotypical spoiled "me generation" behavior came from? The parents. Who are mostly from the boomer generation

I know it does no good to point fingers at a time like this, but seriously, the stuff that gets thrown at us all came from parent "advocacy":
  • Participation trophies.
  • Multiple valedictorians.
  • Etc.

It's not like we actually had the power as kids to make schools do these things.

Plus, to the extent these things happened, I think it was mostly to Gen Z (whose parents are mostly from Gen X). I graduated from high school in the 2000s, and we didn't have participation trophies or multiple valedictorians.
I totally agree with you. My kids are millennials too (graduated 2004 and 2008), and so I went to many Board of Ed. meetings out in Three Village, and watched parents talk about self esteem much of the time. They felt their children needed to have their self esteem built up and stroked. The result is it's been my experience dealing with know-it-all millennials that they think they know about everything. They truly believe they do. Unfortunate. In general most have such a lack of experience in life that their know-it-all attitude smacks of arrogance and much stupidity. If only they could see themselves from my point of view, they would cringe. Sometimes what they say along with their attitude is absolutely hilarious.

There's a large difference between good self esteem and conceited egoism. I don't think the parents realized what they were creating besides good self esteem. The proponents of pushing the good self esteem were the ones pushing for trophies and all kinds of rewards for mediocre achievement. Don't get me wrong, good self esteem is very healthy; when it dumps over into conceit and arrogance, that's when things have gone too far in the wrong direction.

It even got to the point where about 20 years ago out in Three Village CSD where the Board of Ed./Superintendent (J. Sonedecker - embezzler-in-chief) wanted an average student with average grades in regent level classes to be the valedictorian of the class. Crazy. There was no logic to it. Probably lots of envy going on. Like now. Envy is timeless. The average students and their parents were very envious of the top end kids, and wanted their own average kids to have top grades in AP/honor courses, and of course those average students couldn't handle the work load, and weren't in those top classes. Which is where the heterogeneous classes idea came from, besides the $ savings from such.

The most notorious event that took place during our public school years out in Three Village CSD regarding boosting self esteem was at my son's 9th grade moving up to high school assembly at Murphy Junior High. The school administration/parent committee actually gave out two awards for "most improved students" or some such title which amounted to giving out 2 most improved thug awards. No kidding. The two students (boys) went up to accept their awards stepping with their gangster glides. To me it was horrifying - rewarding thug kids for not getting in trouble with the police and society as much as they had previously? Are you kidding me???? I couldn't believe it when all the parents actually applauded these two criminal types. Horrifying. They're probably in jail today.

I certainly agree with you that parents are to blame for some selfish attitudes that probably carry through a lifetime. Once they're ingrained they're pretty much there for good. Too bad. The rest of us will have to put up with them. And continue to be astounded by some peoples' lousy, uncaring, selfish, stupid behavior that puts the rest of us at risk.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:28 PM

22,731 posts, read 36,974,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
UPDATE: MY FAITH IN HUMANITY IS RESTORED.

For the past 2 days, only patients with true issues showed up.
I may have been premature on Monday to vent my frustration with non urgent visitors since it was just the beginning of mass social distancing. Seems as the days go by, more people are getting the message.

Now if we can get those damn spring breaking millennials to listen.
Get off my lawn (I'm a Gen X'er).
I took my son to the pediatrician today for HPV vax booster. Unfortunate timing but I think it has to be given on the schedule and today was the last one. Office is only allowing one parent into exam room with child. If other parent came they must wait in the car. Well visits in the morning and sick visits in the afternoon. I really can't stand this practice but my kids are older and it's walking distance away, but I was impressed with the precautions they are taking.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:21 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,893,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Why would the power go out tomorrow?

Seriously? When did everyone's power ever go out for a week?

Where are "jails being emptied?"

And most of all, where are you getting this information?

Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,937,333 times
Surprised not more people are out at parks where there's plenty of space. The weather has been great for the most part. If there's 1 thing LI has plenty of... green space.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 AM

171 posts, read 449,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why would the power go out tomorrow?

Seriously? When did everyone's power ever go out for a week?

Where are "jails being emptied?"

And most of all, where are you getting this information?
Not emptied, but for sure prisons and jails will let some out. Iran and Europe have been doing the same.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:21 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,893,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Not emptied, but for sure prisons and jails will let some out. Iran and Europe have been doing the same.
Exactly my point; some may wisely get let out if they are in for minor offenses or are near the end of their sentences. "Emptying the jails" is alarmist rhetoric which is not at all helpful. I doubt that many here find such actions in Iran and Europe relevant to the situation in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island