Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 07:14 PM

155 posts, read 101,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
SMH at the lack of common sense.
My wife is super pissed that she is cooped up at home because she knows its her and our children duty to protect the elderly and vulnerable. Yet a lot of these old folks we are trying to protect seem to be out and about and not caring.

It's not just the elderly. It seems it's every age group. I have been self isolating for over two weeks now and have not left the house. My husband and teenage daughters will not sit still. All of them have been laid off from their jobs because of the virus and have a lot of free time on their hands. My husband is the type of guy who cannot sit idle for one minute. He is going stir crazy and is restless. My kids are climbing the walls.

One of my teenage daughters who is a senior in high school has been whining that she might not get to go to the prom. She's annoyed because the virus is impeding on her social activities . I explained to them they need to stop taking risks and deal with the fact that they just need to stay home. They refuse to listen to me and keep running all over town to the whatever stores are still open, to friends houses, picking up food at restaurants, etc.. In other words they are just living their lives like they always do and could care less about catching or spreading the virus. My husband keeps calling it "just the flu".

On Saint Patrick's Day to my objection they still invited a bunch of people over the house. I spent the whole day upstairs in my bedroom and refused to come down and greet company. I could give a $#@! if they think I was being rude. These people are idiots for coming over. I am the only one who is self isolating. It would really #@$% me off if I get the virus because my family can't sit the hell still and just stay home. A lot of people aren't taking this situation serious at all nor seem to care. Sadly, this is going to spread a lot worse because of this. It is because of people like this that we are going to need a mass lock down soon.
And that is why China nailed folks into their homes. Your invincible kids may lose a good part of their lung capacity because their lungs are permanently scarred. You and grandma will be dead. I think my sis saw your family out her window, the Darwin's, on the long beach boardwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 07:46 PM

855 posts, read 451,897 times
Part of me hopes this gets worse as America deserves a rude awakening and wakeup call.

How comfortable and ignorant can a society be when arguing about pronouns and crying for safe spaces is at the top of the list of complaints.

Too many think their phones and feelings are what matter. Let's see life smack some reality back into the equation.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Part of me hopes this gets worse as America deserves a rude awakening and wakeup call.

How comfortable and ignorant can a society be when arguing about pronouns and crying for safe spaces is at the top of the list of complaints.

Too many think their phones and feelings are what matter. Let's see life smack some reality back into the equation.
LI does not need it worse. When you have very dense areas with limited access to/from and near the end of many distribution chains it could lead to very bad things.

It will get bad enough as it is.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:

Old 03-22-2020, 07:45 AM

294 posts, read 744,051 times
Sad to see churches cancelling services. "Where two are more are gathered, I am with them..."

Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 AM

155 posts, read 101,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
LI does not need it worse. When you have very dense areas with limited access to/from and near the end of many distribution chains it could lead to very bad things.

It will get bad enough as it is.
Even with the numbers being under-counted the data has some predictive value.

A cursory view of the Nassau county map shows its widely distributed with concentration sin Hempstead, Uniondale East Meadow Roosevelt and Elmont. So the less money you have the harder you will be hit.

It also shows a doubling overnight. This conforms to the L shaped curve.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times

From USGS, 2010 data.

The US overall has less than 100 people per square mile.

Long Island (including the boroughs as viruses don’t understand borders) has 5,595 per square mile.

Manhattan is nearly 71000 per square mi.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:30 AM

7,938 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
Sad to see churches cancelling services. "Where two are more are gathered, I am with them..."
There are plenty of places to watch religious services. TV and livestream are readily available.
Churches and synagogues have been spreading this virus like crazy. It is necessary they be shut down to prevent the spread. So chill out at home and enjoy the services in an electronic form with God sitting by your side.

"I am a God who is everywhere and not in 1 place only"
Jeremiah 23:23

Old 03-22-2020, 09:20 PM

430 posts, read 557,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why would the power go out tomorrow?

Seriously? When did everyone's power ever go out for a week?

Where are "jails being emptied?"

And most of all, where are you getting this information?
Perhaps a hurricane or a even a blizzard. My power was out for 10 days after Sandy. I'm not saying it's likely, but one natural disaster would put people over the edge in many ways. NYC is currently emptying Rikers Island and being pressured to release even more inmates. Other cities have announced that they are no longer enforcing low level crimes. All information is from Newspapers...

Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 AM

615 posts, read 448,852 times
Quote:

No. Hoping for more chaos is not the answer. Let's all try to pull through this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island