Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 2,609 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I would have started with a Good Morning to All, but I’ve spent the last 3 hours waiting for my ticket to be called at the Happauge DMV office for my upgrade to the enhanced DL due to domestic travel within our great country of ours. Apologies for my ignorance, but I’ve not been up to date regarding the new “Green Light” laws that have created this massive jam of people trying to conduct business here at the DMV. My anger and frustration levels are beyond belief, 3 hours and most likely another 1hr to go before I can upgrade my NYDL as federal regulation dictates to travel. I don’t know if anyone here either works for the DMV or has friends/family that work for the DMV, but I don’t understand why they can’t just separate the lines for individuals that are trying to upgrade their drivers license to comply with federal regulations vs others that are trying to leverage the new “Green light” laws that allow for any undocumented individual to apply for a NYDL. I’m not here to complain and argue the law that was enacted by NYS, but it’s more geared to the DMV that should have prepared for the onslaught of folks that want to apply for a NYSDL under the new laws. It’s frustrating to no end, and to be honest not fair for those individuals that want to comply with federal regulations in order to board commercial airlines within the US. Just to give you perspective, it appears there is only 1 “booth” that is calling on the upgrades, while all other open booths are available for the green light drivers license applicants.

I don’t know when this will let up so word to the wise, avoid the DMV at all costs until they get their act together. Apologies for my rant - I’m going to sit silently for another hour or so until we are called.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM

732 posts, read 884,877 times
Did you make a reservation?

If not, you'll have to wait until the people who reserved are finished.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:19 AM

I did not unfortunately- I’ve had to come here twice prior and it was a “pleasant” experience, spending only about 30 minutes of my life. I should have done my research prior to coming...

Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 PM

376 posts, read 311,120 times
The real question and issue is why are so many people available to go to DMV during normal working hours day in and day out?

Old 01-14-2020, 01:22 PM

I had to take a full day off from work for the festivities. I do have an update. Total time spent at DMV to upgrade my drivers license - 5 hrs and 18 minutes - not bad for a full days off from work.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
The real question and issue is why are so many people available to go to DMV during normal working hours day in and day out?
Because there is no other choice really … although I heard now some DMV's will have Saturday hours.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Because there is no other choice really … although I heard now some DMV's will have Saturday hours.
The passport card is way easier you mail it no going to the damn dmv and it’s good for 10 years and costs $30.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:08 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Get a passport. Make an appointment at a post office and get it done quickly. Screw Cuomo and his pandering to illegals.

Last edited by NSHL10; 01-14-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The passport card is way easier you mail it no going to the damn dmv and it’s good for 10 years and costs $30.
Yeah I already have a passport so I don't need to go to the DMV to get the enhanced one.

Passport cards limits you for international travel though … but yeah for ID purposes, I guess you're right.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:25 PM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
I've been trying to return plates for weeks.
Every time I drive past there is absolutely no parking and the line is out the door and down the block. Thanks Andy. Hope you get ass herpes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island