Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 01:32 PM

430 posts, read 557,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
actually over 50 is 95% 60 and over is 85% of NYS deaths. Under 20 is statistically irrelevant

Thank you for actually posting credible information, unlike most people that responded to this thread shooting from the hip. The most recent antibody test and the links provided are what I am referencing with my numbers. Again, 95% of deaths are people who were over 70 OR people with known preexisting conditions. It would appear that many in their 50's had a preexisting condition in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 01:35 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Link please.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.van...rm-weather/amp

Old 04-27-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I think smacking people like you in the chops would ease his stress a little. Your "special, secret" facts are wrong and your notions about what actually took place in our hospitals is vastly daft. Many died due to lack of equipment or were hastily relocated, again, with no family support. Ventilators were jerry-rigged to serve multiple patients. MANY health care workers got sick and SOME DIED due to a lack of PPE. What planet are you living on?! You are an extreme conspiracy theorist. The worst kind, the one who cannot smell his own BS brewing and finds his selective "facts" to be paramount.
Your threat of violence is pathetic and discredits any point you may be trying to make. In any case, come find me internet tough guy.

I do have inside information on that one particular statistic that I mentioned without being able to cite a source, however we can completely disregard it and my point doesn't change. A 0.6% fatality rate for the entire population is not terribly scary. Especially when it is almost completely comprised of people known to be vulnerable or elderly. We can protect them going forward. I know it to be even lower than that, but we can assume it's 0.6% for arguments sake because that it the governments new official figure. I'm not sure why some people want to pretend the most recent data doesn't exist. It's like many are afraid to admit that their self-righteous rage at those who want to start working towards opening up our society was misguided.

I'm not saying quarantine was bad. It did prevent our hospitals from being overrun. It worked and accomplished it's goal. Clearly some facilities lacked enough PPE, but there are zero cases on anyone being denied medical treatment in NY. Nobody of any credibility ever said we were quarantined in an attempt to irradiated the virus. That is simply not possible in America. Another poster seemed to be under the impression that we were waiting for a vaccine to be developed and produced. Not feasible.

Again, I'm not denying that a terrible thing occurred and a lot of lives were lost. We are now better prepared with more information and our Healthcare facilities are ready. New COVID hospitalizations have completely dropped off. It's time to start working towards a complete reopening of society.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP, what line of medicine are you in? It's good that we can have our health professionals weigh in.
I do not work in medicine, however I do work in statistical analysis and policy.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:53 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I do not work in medicine, however I do work in statistical analysis and policy.
Are you in desperate need of a haircut?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:56 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
So you're confident no relapse will occur? Or you don't care if it does?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-27-2020, 02:02 PM

I don't care about the "most ppl that get it experience mild symptoms" garbage

Thats not the point

The point is

America teaches you to eat like crap

Thats why so many have underlying conditions to begin with

And if they get infected they need care, they overflow the hospitals

Now the guy with a broken arm isn't priority

Or anything that would require an ER visit

So anything that will help prevent the people from having underlying conditions catching this until this thing is nipped in the bud, I will support

For the overflowing of the ERs reason.

In conclusion, have a little patience. Nobody likes this but we have to handle this situation as carefully as possible. I'm not talking about the govt. I'm talking about us as individuals. Stay clean.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So you're confident no relapse will occur? Or you don't care if it does?
I'm not a medical expert, but if by relapse you mean that the virus will begin to spread again, yes I do think that will happen. Not as quickly as the first round, because now people are far more cautious and are practicing better personal hygiene. The latest information also indicates that the warm humid weather will slow the spread.

20% of our local population already had COVID-19. 0.6% of them died. That is a tragedy, but we are better prepared now. It seems to me that the best course would be to let healthy people get back to work and allow herd immunity to kick in. So to answer your question, no. In a sense I don't care if the virus makes a resurgence (which it certainly will) as long as we are protecting the vulnerable from infection and practicing some common sense mitigation methods.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
i think all of us armchair microbiologists should read the recent story in Newsday about the COVID crisis at South Nassau Community Hospital in Oceanside.
Quite sobering.
Know a handful of people who work there. What story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
Get used to it. You will be wearing masks in high density areas forever, as many has been the case in asia for years. Does that mean every day at Costco? Probably not. But on LIRR, at sporting events, malls, concerts, etc., sure. The virus density was higher on long island than anywhere in the world. It is naive to say this is a NYC problem, or a city problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if more Americans wear masks on planes and trains/buses as the norm after this. There's a reason we have 80k die from the flu every single year... but people don't think twice. Now more will.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not a medical expert, but if by relapse you mean that the virus will begin to spread again, yes I do think that will happen. Not as quickly as the first round, because now people are far more cautious and are practicing better personal hygiene. The latest information also indicates that the warm humid weather will slow the spread.

20% of our local population already had COVID-19. 0.6% of them died. That is a tragedy, but we are better prepared now. It seems to me that the best course would be to let healthy people get back to work and allow herd immunity to kick in. So to answer your question, no. In a sense I don't care if the virus makes a resurgence (which it certainly will) as long as we are protecting the vulnerable from infection and practicing some common sense mitigation methods.
We can only hope

There's no scientific data to show that ppl "care" more

I'll be social distancing even after all of this is done to the best of my ability

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island