Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:38 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Your alarmist post is valid in that we faced a difficult crisis, however you assertion that the hospitals were overrun is inaccurate. Yes we had a terrible spike in deaths due to the virus, but not a single patient died due to a lack of medical care or equipment. We had large emergency hospitals built that are now sitting vacant in NYC and on Long Island. 95% of those who died suffered from a known per-existing or were over age 70. That doesn't make the deaths less painful, but it does put things into the proper perspective for those who are healthy. Your friend didn't sign up for a job where he expected to see death on that scale and his reaction is totally understandable. I hope he finds a way to cope with the stress.
I think smacking people like you in the chops would ease his stress a little. Your "special, secret" facts are wrong and your notions about what actually took place in our hospitals is vastly daft. Many died due to lack of equipment or were hastily relocated, again, with no family support. Ventilators were jerry-rigged to serve multiple patients. MANY health care workers got sick and SOME DIED due to a lack of PPE. What planet are you living on?! You are an extreme conspiracy theorist. The worst kind, the one who cannot smell his own BS brewing and finds his selective "facts" to be paramount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
#ReOpenNY now, all of it

Old 04-27-2020, 09:13 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
95% is over 70 AND pre-existing conditions combined... as it states in my links

actually over 50 is 95% 60 and over is 85% of NYS deaths. Under 20 is statistically irrelevant

Old 04-27-2020, 09:16 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Alright, so don't believe me on that particular point and take the numbers at face value. We would come to the same conclusion I think.
I'm not sure of the conclusion you're referring to... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
There will always be deniers (deny the hospital ships and the Javits Center and the massive Stony Brook tents were unnecessary...deny the hospitals were not overrun). And more deniers (deny we can open up the economy without each American receiving a safe and effective vaccine). And more deniers (deny there is a certain and severe medical cost to an economic Depression). And even more deniers (deny the NYC area and nursing homes are outliers).

The odd experiment of quarantining so many of the healthy and those least at risk of death is one that future statisticians/epidemiologists will doubtlessly debate.

Perhaps they'll decide the opposite would have been the best tactic (quarantining only the unhealthy and those most at risk of death...with exceptions in a handful of outlier locales).
You got it backwards denier... the denial is not what you listed. Every reasonable person realizes that we over prepared in some areas. It flattened the curve and we didn't have to use most of the emergency standby measures. Reasonable people are thankful it was there in case we needed it... and it's there to ramp up again should things turn for the worse. Your argument is like having an emergency savings that you never use "is a waste". Additionally, nobody is denying that this isn't hurting the economy - not a single person.

You are denying that what was done matter(s/ed)... you are denying how hard this hit some areas and some countries. You are denying that Americans by and large were never actually "quarantined". You are denying this saved lives... that is how a denier operates.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
I’m surprised you’re even entertaining this moron after his comments. The only time I have heard things like this are from folks in like Iowa who haven’t been affected at all with corona. Just mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I think smacking people like you in the chops would ease his stress a little. Your "special, secret" facts are wrong and your notions about what actually took place in our hospitals is vastly daft. Many died due to lack of equipment or were hastily relocated, again, with no family support. Ventilators were jerry-rigged to serve multiple patients. MANY health care workers got sick and SOME DIED due to a lack of PPE. What planet are you living on?! You are an extreme conspiracy theorist. The worst kind, the one who cannot smell his own BS brewing and finds his selective "facts" to be paramount.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
I'm seeing a lot of doubting like Y2K showed. It wasn't worse because of actual measures taken. Meanwhile people believe nobody did any work and everything was fine anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
#ReOpenNY now, all of it
Paint us a picture. Are you also picketing outside in a crowd, without a mask, and with an AR-15 on your shoulder?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
#ReOpenNY now, all of it
Yeah right. Upstate will open up before us. Drive on up if you want.

Plenty of supermarket jobs available down here if you feel like working.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
I am my own source on that one, however if you prefer 99% of all deaths by natural causes we can go with that. I have inside knowledge of that particular statistic and the rate of deaths due to COVID are being inflated by roughly 20%. You will have to take my word for it for now, but my information is correct and will eventually be brought to light. I'm no info wars conspiracy theorist. If anything, the people now clinging to many of the initial inaccurate statistics and probabilities seem to be denying the obvious. It is becoming clear that we overreacted, which is perfectly fine. Better that than to under react. Now the curve is flat and the hospitals never got overrun. It's time to responsibly get back to our lives.
I find you to be extremely ill informed, but I do agree that we have to get back to our lives responsibly. Thus far Covid has killed more American's in two months than flu has in 8 months. Fact. Other countries like Singapore handled this much better than we did. Fact. On April 26th Singapore had spike of 931 cases because they missed the import cases coming in with migrant workers. This is what happens when you have it under control with aggressive measures early on and miss one key element. Singapore had 14,423 cases with 12 deaths, pretty darn good for a country of 6 million. They have since gone into lock down because they missed that one key step.

Lets look at Taiwan. Currently 429 cases with 6 deaths. Taiwan has 23 million citizens and was hit hard in 2003 with the SARS outbreak. They have since developed a first class National Health Command Center, much like we had a pandemic office with "all the best people" on the ready up until 2018. Taiwan took action immediately after Wuhan reported an unknown pneumonia outbreak. They took 124 actions including allocating resources to produce 4 million masks a day. What are we doing in the richest country in the world? Making our own. Taiwan institutes fines for disinformation. One of the WHO's guidelines is transparency and honesty. Our leadership preferred lying and gas lighting about it and praising Xi even when he lied about it and tried to cover it up. Taiwan did extensive tracing and isolating tracking down potential import cases. Read the article Time: "Taiwan has been shut out of Global Health discussions, Its participation could have saved lives."
What have we learned from Italy with their do nothing about it until it's too late? We were warned to take this seriously. Did we? No. Our response is late and third world. We have more deaths than the top 5 countries with Covid combined. We are in this mess because of leadership that chose to lie, spin, and was more focused on messaging than preparing.

You can try and convince yourself that this is nothing, you can drink the koolaid and demand to be free, or, you can research and become informed. Low information is not the way to be during a global pandemic. It could cost you your life or one of your loved ones.

Being responsible is the key here. This is not a political pandemic, it is a global pandemic with a very dangerous SARS virus. Spinning numbers is futile. Open your eyes and look around.

It doesn't matter what you or I want. It is what it is and no amount of anger or crying about it is going to change the situation we are in now. It's going to take sacrifice and being responsible. Follow the medical experts, not the political spin.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:47 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm not sure of the conclusion you're referring to... lol

You got it backwards denier... the denial is not what you listed. Every reasonable person realizes that we over prepared in some areas. It flattened the curve and we didn't have to use most of the emergency standby measures. Reasonable people are thankful it was there in case we needed it... and it's there to ramp up again should things turn for the worse. Your argument is like having an emergency savings that you never use "is a waste". Additionally, nobody is denying that this isn't hurting the economy - not a single person.

You are denying that what was done matter(s/ed)... you are denying how hard this hit some areas and some countries. You are denying that Americans by and large were never actually "quarantined". You are denying this saved lives... that is how a denier operates.
I guess you are not one of those folks who deny we can open our economy back up without a vaccine or deny we can treat different areas of the country differently or deny we can function without the dingbat 'immunity cards' or deny we have plenty of ventilators and beds or deny NYC-area and nursing homes are outliers here in the US . It is undeniable those denial folks are out there.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,820 times
Get used to it. You will be wearing masks in high density areas forever, as many has been the case in asia for years. Does that mean every day at Costco? Probably not. But on LIRR, at sporting events, malls, concerts, etc., sure. The virus density was higher on long island than anywhere in the world. It is naive to say this is a NYC problem, or a city problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island