Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 PM

430 posts, read 559,051 times

Advertisements

People are relentlessly attacking others on social media and on these boards with posts about COVID. It seems to be out of some odd sense of duty or support of unnecessary overbearing government regulations while using completely innaccurate information. I just want to lay out a few facts and relay some stats released this week in New York. Some people on here need to hear this. Obviously, not everyone.

First, most masks are not meant to protect the wearer. They are to protect others from the wearer, so please stop telling people that they will die and infect their whole family if they leave the house without a mask.

Second, masks are NOT REQUIRED outdoors if you can maintain social distance. So, please stop telling bikers and joggers that they should be wearing masks. It just makes you sound unintelligent. It would also be dangerous to the wearer to exercise like that... unlike the pretend danger that you are yelling about.

Lastly, there were some very encouraging stats released this week. The antibody testing indicates that 20% of the NYS population has already been infected. This puts the death rate at 0.6%, which is most likely still inflated because all deaths due to natural causes are being attributed to COVID right now. Of the 0.6% that died, 95% of those were over 70 years old or had a KNOWN pre-existing condition. That makes the odds of a healthy person being killed by COVID very close to zero. (Please don't be the one to refute this with a cherry picked case from another state). Obviously, there will still be the occasional unexplained tragedy.

With all that being said, it's time to get Long Island and NYS back to our new normal. The vulnerable and elderly should continue to quarantine. The rest should get back to work while continuing to practice increased hygiene. The initial explanation for the quarantine was to "flatten the curve" and give our Healthcare system a chance to prepare and not become overwhelmed. We now have an excess of facilities and personnel ready to go. We are in fact turning away the USNS Comfort because it is no longer necessary. The quarantine was not supposed to be a means to iradicate the virus and it is ineffective as such. Be smart and safe everyone, but don't give in to the fear and abundance of bad information out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 03:50 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,174,008 times
Where are all the links and data to back up your claims?

Old 04-27-2020, 04:45 AM

5,074 posts, read 3,972,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
People are relentlessly attacking others on social media and on these boards with posts about COVID. It seems to be out of some odd sense of duty or support of unnecessary overbearing government regulations while using completely innaccurate information. I just want to lay out a few facts and relay some stats released this week in New York. Some people on here need to hear this. Obviously, not everyone...

Lastly, there were some very encouraging stats released this week. The antibody testing indicates that 20% of the NYS population has already been infected. This puts the death rate at 0.6%, which is most likely still inflated because all deaths due to natural causes are being attributed to COVID right now. Of the 0.6% that died, 95% of those were over 70 years old or had a KNOWN pre-existing condition. That makes the odds of a healthy person being killed by COVID very close to zero. (Please don't be the one to refute this with a cherry picked case from another state). Obviously, there will still be the occasional unexplained tragedy.
Very good points.

Mortality rate is encouraging (and another example of the scientific experts getting it very wrong).

Notwithstanding predictions to the contrary, the NYC-area (and it dense huge population, mass transit, and overseas travellers) has proved to be an outlier here in the US regarding deaths from COVID-19 and the sooner the rest of the country gets back to work (with continued attention to nursing homes, elderly/ill, and crowds) the better. (Yes, there may be areas of exception in the US). Economic depression has its own and very severe health implications.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-27-2020 at 05:12 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 06:02 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,198 times
Infowars... I guess misinformation is justified to battle perceived misinformation. I am not aware of a definitive source that "all deaths due to natural causes are being attributed to COVID right now". The key word here is ALL. That assumption seems to be the cornerstone of the lockdowns are unjustified crowd - aka deniers.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:14 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,893,976 times
Another poorly prepared paycheck to paycheck denier!! Who would have thunk it!

Don’t exercise with a mask on! You may injure yourself!!

Get used to wearing a mask whenever you’re gonna by around other people. Not worth getting into a fight you may lose.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:46 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,064,691 times
I don't know about you, but I'm tired of the NY tri-state area being "ground zero" for things! Measures going forward to to give us a break in the "New Normal" please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post

Get used to wearing a mask whenever you’re gonna by around other people. Not worth getting into a fight you may lose.
I say just use common sense, treat it like a learning experience, bone up on your meteorology/weather pattern/situational awareness skills/breathing techniques.

Keep passers by "downwind" of yourself, even if you have to cross to the other side of a pathway, trail, etc. Take a deep breath prior to passing someone heavily exhaling (jogger/etc.) and slowly exhale after passing them as you walk away. Turn around and check for people coming up behind you, stop and temporarily get off the sidewalk/trail/etc. if it's too narrow for safe distance passage, make pretend your looking at something or pull out your phone and do a "fake check" on a call or email.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Where are all the links and data to back up your claims?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/n...s-test-ny.html

https://nypost.com/2020/04/26/scienc...rus-lockdowns/

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...GCTvk.facebook

Old 04-27-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Infowars... I guess misinformation is justified to battle perceived misinformation. I am not aware of a definitive source that "all deaths due to natural causes are being attributed to COVID right now". The key word here is ALL. That assumption seems to be the cornerstone of the lockdowns are unjustified crowd - aka deniers.

I am my own source on that one, however if you prefer 99% of all deaths by natural causes we can go with that. I have inside knowledge of that particular statistic and the rate of deaths due to COVID are being inflated by roughly 20%. You will have to take my word for it for now, but my information is correct and will eventually be brought to light. I'm no info wars conspiracy theorist. If anything, the people now clinging to many of the initial inaccurate statistics and probabilities seem to be denying the obvious. It is becoming clear that we overreacted, which is perfectly fine. Better that than to under react. Now the curve is flat and the hospitals never got overrun. It's time to responsibly get back to our lives.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I am my own source on that one, however if you prefer 99% of all deaths by natural causes we can go with that. I have inside knowledge of that particular statistic and the rate of deaths due to COVID are being inflated by roughly 20%. You will have to take my word for it for now, but my information is correct and will eventually be brought to light. I'm no info wars conspiracy theorist. If anything, the people now clinging to many of the initial inaccurate statistics and probabilities seem to be denying the obvious. It is becoming clear that we overreacted, which is perfectly fine. Better that than to under react. Now the curve is flat and the hospitals never got overrun. It's time to responsibly get back to our lives.
Wtf are you talking about? The hospitals did get overrun and 400 people per day are still dying. My "secret society" info comes from my buddy the head anesthesiologist who is now deep into discovering his own PTSD after becoming a ventilator operator and put more people in the ground, scared and alone in a month than in his whole 30 year career before this. There are still next to zero antibody tests available except for specific "studies" and the gubmint is so on top of their game, they are mandating wearing maxi pads or bandanas on our faces. Pharmacies are overrun and no one is getting basic medical care unless urgent. Every time a gathering breaks out (religious, activist, etc), numbers of the virus spike and people D.I.E. The POTUS is hunching his way through mainlining lysol and open lung UV rays while the experts cringe and cover their faces.

That's what we do when we fail to prepare and put politics in front of every possible piece of human existence. We panic, overreact, argue, throw money at it and kick the debt can down the road. Just like Sandy, 9/11, school shootings, etc. Next...

Old 04-27-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Another poorly prepared paycheck to paycheck denier!! Who would have thunk it!

This is exactly the type of ignorant online comment that prompted me to write this post. Not that I need to respond to that accusation, but I will because you are very wrong and it is wrong to make assumptions like that. I am not a wealthy person, but I do have a significant balance in my multiple retirement accounts. I also have the recommended savings of six months worth of expenses should I need it. I don't though because my wife and I are both still being paid our full salaries.

I don't exercise with a mask on because that is a stupid thing to do. That doesn't seem to stop people on the internet demanding that I wear one.

I will be perfectly happy to wear a mask when in a crowded indoor location, for the good of others that may be exposed to whatever germs I have. I'm not sure what fight you are talking about. What will you do when this virus has run it's course and you can no longer make asinine demands of people on the internet? Will you continue to accept inept and overbearing government intrusion into your life or just recommend it for the rest of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island