Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 07:22 AM

430 posts, read 558,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wtf are you talking about? The hospitals did get overrun and 400 people per day are still dying. My "secret society" info comes from my buddy the head anesthesiologist who is now deep into discovering his own PTSD after becoming a ventilator operator and put more people in the ground, scared and alone in a month than in his whole 30 year career before this. There are still next to zero antibody tests available except for specific "studies" and the gubmint is so on top of their game, they are mandating wearing maxi pads or bandanas on our faces. Pharmacies are overrun and no one is getting basic medical care unless urgent. Every time a gathering breaks out (religious, activist, etc), numbers of the virus spike and people D.I.E. The POTUS is hunching his way through mainlining lysol and open lung UV rays while the experts cringe and cover their faces.

Yes, total overreaction. That's what we do when we fail to prepare and put politics in front of every possible piece of human existence. We panic, overreact, argue, throw money at it and kick the debt can down the road. Just like Sandy, 9/11, school shootings, etc. Next...

Your alarmist post is valid in that we faced a difficult crisis, however you assertion that the hospitals were overrun is inaccurate. Yes we had a terrible spike in deaths due to the virus, but not a single patient died due to a lack of medical care or equipment. We had large emergency hospitals built that are now sitting vacant in NYC and on Long Island. 95% of those who died suffered from a known per-existing or were over age 70. That doesn't make the deaths less painful, but it does put things into the proper perspective for those who are healthy. Your friend didn't sign up for a job where he expected to see death on that scale and his reaction is totally understandable. I hope he finds a way to cope with the stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:29 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times
OP - I wanted to support you - you started off well - but your own link says that deaths for the 70 and over group were at 67% - not 95%, as you stated.

After that, I pretty much quit reading.

67%, by the way, matches up with all the other reports out of New York, like this one:

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2...hs-by-age.html

Old 04-27-2020, 07:33 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I am my own source on that one, however if you prefer 99% of all deaths by natural causes we can go with that. I have inside knowledge of that particular statistic and the rate of deaths due to COVID are being inflated by roughly 20%. You will have to take my word for it for now, but my information is correct and will eventually be brought to light. I'm no info wars conspiracy theorist. If anything, the people now clinging to many of the initial inaccurate statistics and probabilities seem to be denying the obvious. It is becoming clear that we overreacted, which is perfectly fine. Better that than to under react. Now the curve is flat and the hospitals never got overrun. It's time to responsibly get back to our lives.
This is my point... you claim to have "inside info" and throw out these statistics that we have to "trust you" are accurate. Yet, you're not a conspiracy theory person?! Please explain how this isn't the exact playbook for every conspiracy theory ever created?

Now, I will give you credit... like with every good conspiracy theory there is some truth mixed in. Like that the curve is flattening and all hospitals weren't overrun. We do need to "responsibly get back to our lives". Sure, yes - agreed. But that runs counter to the overall spirit of what you're saying... I guess different people have different definitions of "responsibly" - and there's the rub.

Thankfully some other states are doing the dirty work and opening up... we can see what kind of stats come out of those states over the next week or 2. Unless of course, those will be bogus and fake numbers.... because you know, "they" are controlling us. Right?

Old 04-27-2020, 07:44 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,895,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Keep passers by "downwind" of yourself, even if you have to cross to the other side of a pathway, trail, etc. Take a deep breath prior to passing someone heavily exhaling (jogger/etc.) and slowly exhale after passing them as you walk away. Turn around and check for people coming up behind you, stop and temporarily get off the sidewalk/trail/etc. if it's too narrow for safe distance passage, make pretend your looking at something or pull out your phone and do a "fake check" on a call or email.
In suburban areas and parks, most everyone has been doing a good job of staying clear by crossing the street when about to pass someone from what I've seen... we jog the blocks and everyone seems to be doing their part. This is more of an issue in the congested areas like the city where there's too many people and nowhere to get by. I will also say that people need to stop using the bike paths here since there's little to no escape on there. 2 days ago it was beautiful and it was more crowded on the Bethpage path (seen from the road) than a normal nice day a year ago. Couldn't believe the lack of concern shown by people.

As for the OP, all we need are charts to show progression. No need to spread lies on anyone's part. We are still very much close from the peak in relative time terms. Also your suggestion of everyone getting back to work - let's see how many even have work to do, both because of owners' hardships & lack of patrons. It might not restart as well as you hope, and it has the added bonus of making more people sick again.

Quote:
but don't give in to the fear and abundance of bad information out there.
That's basically the same message as POTUS a few months back.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-27-2020 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is my point... you claim to have "inside info" and throw out these statistics that we have to "trust you" are accurate. Yet, you're not a conspiracy theory person?! Please explain how this isn't the exact playbook for every conspiracy theory ever created?

Now, I will give you credit... like with every good conspiracy theory there is some truth mixed in. Like that the curve is flattening and all hospitals weren't overrun. We do need to "responsibly get back to our lives". Sure, yes - agreed. But that runs counter to the overall spirit of what you're saying... I guess different people have different definitions of "responsibly" - and there's the rub.

Thankfully some other states are doing the dirty work and opening up... we can see what kind of stats come out of those states over the next week or 2. Unless of course, those will be bogus and fake numbers.... because you know, "they" are controlling us. Right?
Alright, so don't believe me on that particular point and take the numbers at face value. We would come to the same conclusion I think.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
OP - I wanted to support you - you started off well - but your own link says that deaths for the 70 and over group were at 67% - not 95%, as you stated.

After that, I pretty much quit reading.

67%, by the way, matches up with all the other reports out of New York, like this one:

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2...hs-by-age.html

95% is over 70 AND pre-existing conditions combined... as it states in my links

Old 04-27-2020, 07:47 AM

5,068 posts, read 3,964,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I am my own source on that one, however if you prefer 99% of all deaths by natural causes we can go with that. I have inside knowledge of that particular statistic and the rate of deaths due to COVID are being inflated by roughly 20%. You will have to take my word for it for now, but my information is correct and will eventually be brought to light. I'm no info wars conspiracy theorist. If anything, the people now clinging to many of the initial inaccurate statistics and probabilities seem to be denying the obvious. It is becoming clear that we overreacted, which is perfectly fine. Better that than to under react. Now the curve is flat and the hospitals never got overrun. It's time to responsibly get back to our lives.
There will always be deniers (deny the hospital ships and the Javits Center and the massive Stony Brook tents were unnecessary...deny the hospitals were not overrun). And more deniers (deny we can open up the economy without each American receiving a safe and effective vaccine). And more deniers (deny there is a certain and severe medical cost to an economic Depression). And even more deniers (deny the NYC area and nursing homes are outliers).

The odd experiment of quarantining so many of the healthy and those least at risk of death is one that future statisticians/epidemiologists will doubtlessly debate.

Perhaps they'll decide the opposite would have been the best tactic (quarantining only the unhealthy and those most at risk of death...with exceptions in a handful of outlier locales).

Old 04-27-2020, 08:05 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,892,404 times
So what would the numbers look like if things weren’t shut down? Any reasonable person would agree over preparing was the right move. Anyone still think 60k is the projected number of deaths?

Old 04-27-2020, 08:08 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times
40% of adults age 25-40 live with their parents. 55% age 18 to 25. How will we protect those people? More than half of those parents have diabetes, hypertension, obesity, or a combo.
The folks wanting to work are the very same folks carrying the disease directly to the vulnerable.
Assume that 100% of school children are asymptomatic carriers, at one point or another. How are you protecting their parents? Grand parents?

It's a tough call, people. But of all the ways to open up, "Hide the Weakest Link" will not be effective. You'll need something else.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,062,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
In suburban areas and parks, most everyone has been doing a good job of staying clear by crossing the street when about to pass someone from what I've seen... we jog the blocks and everyone seems to be doing their part. This is more of an issue in the congested areas like the city where there's too many people and nowhere to get by. I will also say that people need to stop using the bike paths here since there's little to no escape on there. 2 days ago it was beautiful and it was more crowded on the Bethpage path (seen from the road) than a normal nice day a year ago. Couldn't believe the lack of concern shown by people.
We're having a few issues here in the 'burbs'. Two weeks ago my GF and I were standing on the sidewalk at a busy intersection waiting for the light in order to cross, an elderly lady with two cocker spaniels on leashes in tow came down the sidewalk on a three wheeler that took up the entire sidewalk. Not stopping and with a scowl on her face she said "excuse me!" and we were faced with either stepping into a hedgerow or out into busy traffic.

Then a mother was riding down a road with her young daughter on the sidewalk coming up behind us. Again we got a nearly last minute "excuse me" before nearly getting a fender in the calf with the protective mother looking over at us just waiting for us to challenge the daughter and/or not move.

Dog laws are completely out the window, people are seemingly taking them everywhere, unleashed in many instances. Less waste cleanup efforts being made from what Iv'e seen.

The problem with rewriting the laws/rules in this unique situation is that two can play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island