Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM

146 posts, read 840,640 times

Advertisements

We saw a great house on a nice quiet street in Greenvale. However, when I just got home and looked up the demographics and median income, I was a bit surprised. Can anyone shed some light on Greenvale? Is it a nice, safe, quiet place to raise a family?

I know most L.I. communities are changing... any help is greatly appreciated. Are there any pockets to stay away from, etc.?

I'm talking about a house specifically a few blocks north of Northern Blvd. and one block east of Glen Cove Rd.

Also, are there any additional village taxes that I should know about?

Thanks!

Last edited by purelygeneric; 04-26-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 03:20 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Is that the area that is right by the Roslyn train station?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-26-2008, 03:27 PM

146 posts, read 840,640 times
It's actually a few blocks away from the Greenvale station. However, I'm also interested in thoughts on the Roslyn Heights area too if that's what you are referring to.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Sorry, I did mean the Greenvale train station. I grew up nearby in Roslyn Harbor and I remember when those little houses were mostly filled by people who worked for the large estates nearby. They must be pretty old by now. You would be in the Roslyn school district if you moved there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
I gotta say I really don't know Greenvale well at all, but just wanted to mention that the schools would be either Roslyn on the Town of North Hempstead side or North Shore on the Town of Oyster Bay side -- both great districts.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Greenvale

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
We saw a great house on a nice quiet street in Greenvale. However, when I just got home and looked up the demographics and median income, I was a bit surprised. Can anyone shed some light on Greenvale?

For those who may not be familiar with Greenvale:

Greenvale is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the northwest part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Greenvale in the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Roslyn Harbor in the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay; on the east by the Village of Old Brookville; on the south by the Village of East Hills in the Towns of Oyster Bay and North Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Roslyn Harbor in the Town of North Hempstead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ee/Greennvale-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Greenvale has a different border than does the "Greenvale, NY 11548" ZIP code postal zone (there are places that have a "Greenvale, NY 11548" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Greenvale): places that have a "Greenvale, NY 11548" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Greenvale are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor and the Village of East Hills in the Town of North Hempstead and in the Village of Brookville in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Also, complicating the matter even more, the "Greenvale, NY 11548" postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas separated by the "Glen Head, NY 11545" postal zone.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island