Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

I love the South Shore beaches, especially Fire Island and last week I finally got to live one of my LI dreams, kind of. I always wanted to rent a big old beach house in the Hamptons, but needless to say the closest I got was camping at Watch Hill. Actually camping at Watch Hill was pretty cool.

Here's where I spent part of last week running the dog on the nearly deserted beach, enjoying an early LI summer (80-85 degrees), hot tub at night, listening to Billy Joel, the Good Rats and Frampton Comes Alive on the top deck while looking at the ocean. The only thing that screwed up the fantasy of being back on LI was that the sun moved front to back, instead of left to right when looking at the ocean, and the numerous BBQ joints instead of Italian restaurants. Oh well, it was still cool and brought back some great memories of another time, another place.
Gardner House Oceanfront Home in ocean-hill Corolla

So has anybody ever rented in the Hamptons and how was it?
And for the rest of us what's your favorite Long Island beach and favorite thing to do there with most of your clothes on?

For me, field 5, Robert Moses State Park, 7AM before the crowds show up.
And of course square dancing at Jones Beach followed by strolls on the board walk.

Getting psyched for the summer trip to the Island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
I miss riding my bike on the boardwalk in Long Beach. It is exactly 2.2 miles from end to end & I could ride it all day long on a nice day. I also miss the concerts at Jones Beach.... my wife is flying up to see John Mellencamp in July.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
As a teen in Massapequa, we would ride our bikes to Jones Beach a few times a week (about 10 miles each way.) It was an easy ride getting there, but after a day of surf and sun, it wasn't as easy riding home

The beach is one of my favorite concert venues. Something about the salty sea air, the ocean breeze, hearing the surf in the distance (prior to the show) and the random gull flying over -- every time I see a show there the excitement feels like the first time again.

I saw John Mellencamp there in Sept 2001, just a few days before 9/11.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM

220 posts, read 1,119,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So has anybody ever rented in the Hamptons and how was it?
We sold our house in East Hampton in 2007. I lived there year-round for eight years. It was the most relaxed and comfortable eight years of my life. If I could in any way work it out, we'd move back. Taxes are low, schools are great, and the lifestyle is so comfortable.

As for the beach, you're just so close all the time. I'm not a sit-out-in-th-sun person, but I would always on a lark turn dow a road and stop and the beach, even just for a 10 minute look. Sometimes I'd get out and walk, sit for awhile. Or have lunch at the beach on a work day. It's a fantastic place to be.

The summer folk give it a bad rap. It's just not that way when you live there year-round. It's so small town woderful. Can't say enough about it. (Could do without the obnoxious crowds, though, that have begun to come for longer and longer stretches of the year, just about all year now to some extent. But, with that come other amenities...)

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,179 times
You should check out the NJ Shore, or NC beaches. Almost as nice and the season is longer. I love living out east but its changed over the last 10 years with the building and crowds. I can't remember not living on the beach even whan I was younger. We would spend EVERY day in the summer at Malibu Beach Club in Lido untill the Town of Hempstead took it over and ruined it. We were lucky enough to buy a place out east when the pricing was not insane (to a point).
You might want to start looking after Memorial Day, sometimes you can find a steal in Hampton Bays but always go and look first. The real estate people can advertise ocean view loations only if you are squinting while standing ontop of your chimmney. So far this summer with this lousy economy things are still be grabbed for real high prices which proves the theroy that even the rich know how to get rich in the worst of times.
The funny thing is when you drive down Dune Road and gawk at the houses there are more then a few that have curtains in them and NOTHING ELSE. I have a freind who takes care of peoples houses in the off season and he has found pets, pizza boxes, cots, and junk in these fantastic houses.
Strange if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
You might want to start looking after Memorial Day, sometimes you can find a steal in Hampton Bays but always go and look first.
Hampton Bays - they've made a nice facade; it looks all good but the underbelly is the same and, really, worse than ever (day laborers, etc). Drug-related crimes: DUI, drug dealing, burglarly, violence... and racial tension. I wouldn't go to Hampton Bays, though it looks pretty and "like a Hampton" now.

Quote:
I have a freind who takes care of peoples houses in the off season and he has found pets, pizza boxes, cots, and junk in these fantastic houses.
Strange if you ask me.
People stake out homes that are vacant in the off-season and "squat" in them. Always good to keep someone visiting your home, even if you aren't.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
If I may ask...then why did you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
We sold our house in East Hampton in 2007. I lived there year-round for eight years. It was the most relaxed and comfortable eight years of my life. If I could in any way work it out, we'd move back. Taxes are low, schools are great, and the lifestyle is so comfortable.

As for the beach, you're just so close all the time. I'm not a sit-out-in-th-sun person, but I would always on a lark turn dow a road and stop and the beach, even just for a 10 minute look. Sometimes I'd get out and walk, sit for awhile. Or have lunch at the beach on a work day. It's a fantastic place to be.

The summer folk give it a bad rap. It's just not that way when you live there year-round. It's so small town woderful. Can't say enough about it. (Could do without the obnoxious crowds, though, that have begun to come for longer and longer stretches of the year, just about all year now to some extent. But, with that come other amenities...)

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
If I may ask...then why did you move?
My husband works in Hauppauge and it seemd like a good idea at the time, or at least not an awful one. We're still trying to figure it out. He's a computer [software] engineer and his niche doesn't exist on the East End. (I'd moved to EH in 1997 on my own; we married in 2003, then moved in 2005 because his commute was unbearable.)

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I grew up on the North Shore in a beach house for the summers . There is something unique about the beach. We were able to see Connecticut from our windows in those days. We spent all of our time out -of -doors on the beach or the sandbar. We would take the little boat to Port Jeff , buy cokes ( in bottles for ten cents ) and just walk around. The North Shore itself is pretty , but I prefer South Shore beaches. Ours had so many rocks and clam shells and all. Even then, though, Port Jefferson Harbor was not all that clean. The Sound was, but not the Harbor.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,785 times
Default I adore it..

Life on the East End of Long Island is a life trully worth living.. really I cannot say enough good things about it!

There is so much to do, so many people to meet and the area is just beautiful. I like to call it the "Norman Rockwell painting we call home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island