Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,218,414 times

Advertisements

Wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 07:52 AM

All train lines all directions from 3 pm to about 9 pm when they started letting one train at a time go out. People sitting all over the floor in Penn because they closed the waiting rooms - no air conditioning - after a few hours a bunch of people all got themselves beers and the party started as the masks came off. By 9 the homeless were coming in pissed all their floor space was being taken up by even more pissed commuters. Leave it to the LIRR to strand workers in the City during a Hurricane in the middle of a pandemic. Not sure who was more responsible though - the idiot employers who didn't shut their work down - or the incompetent MTA who couldn't even manage to get a train to run. Subways were out too except for a few lines running to a few locations.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,422,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
All train lines all directions from 3 pm to about 9 pm when they started letting one train at a time go out. People sitting all over the floor in Penn because they closed the waiting rooms - no air conditioning - after a few hours a bunch of people all got themselves beers and the party started as the masks came off. By 9 the homeless were coming in pissed all their floor space was being taken up by even more pissed commuters. Leave it to the LIRR to strand workers in the City during a Hurricane in the middle of a pandemic. Not sure who was more responsible though - the idiot employers who didn't shut their work down - or the incompetent MTA who couldn't even manage to get a train to run. Subways were out too except for a few lines running to a few locations.
I'm all for bashing the MTA, believe me. Buy wtf were they supposed to do, during a major tropical storm with hurricane gusts, knocking all those trees down onto the tracks? I stayed home yesterday, knowing it would be a disaster.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:09 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
During the forecasted Hurricane Gloria I worked in downtown Manhattan. I made a decision to stay home because I did not want to get stuck in the city or possibly on the train. Isaias was forecasted to hit your area right before the start of rush hour yesterday. You should have either stayed home or left early. There is no way a train that borders any kind of treed area or a power line area is going to make it through during a storm.

Some times common sense needs to play into decisions. Likewise, when it snows, either stay home or leave before the storm hits. If you don't leave in time, it is not the fault of the LIRR if you get stuck.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:57 AM

8,722 posts, read 11,134,379 times
I love to bash the MTA as well. Its not the MTA fault. Blame your employer.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
During the forecasted Hurricane Gloria I worked in downtown Manhattan. I made a decision to stay home because I did not want to get stuck in the city or possibly on the train. Isaias was forecasted to hit your area right before the start of rush hour yesterday. You should have either stayed home or left early. There is no way a train that borders any kind of treed area or a power line area is going to make it through during a storm.

Some times common sense needs to play into decisions. Likewise, when it snows, either stay home or leave before the storm hits. If you don't leave in time, it is not the fault of the LIRR if you get stuck.
Wow. Another hostile long islander. Some people have responsible jobs and need to be there and some jobs are too important to just shut down. Why so judgmental and angry? The trains stopped running by 3pm. Several hundred people had every right to expect the MTA to do its job and get them to their destination - storm or not. Why are you living so far in the past? My post was reaching out to those people stuck for hours on end and you clearly had no place to go and no place to be and certainly had nobody depending on you but hundreds of others did and could not just up and leave their responsibilities in fear that the MTA would fail. And I never said I was there but I saw dozens of postings on facebook and twitter by people I know and respect who got caught in that nonsense.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 08-05-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 03:52 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Quote:
Wow. Another hostile long islander. Some people have responsible jobs and need to be there and some jobs are too important to just shut down. Why so judgmental and angry? The trains stopped running by 3pm. Several hundred people had every right to expect the MTA to do its job and get them to their destination - storm or not. Why are you living so far in the past? My post was reaching out to those people stuck for hours on end and you clearly had no place to go and no place to be and certainly had nobody depending on you but hundreds of others did and could not just up and leave their responsibilities in fear that the MTA would fail. And I never said I was there but I saw dozens of postings on facebook and twitter by people I know and respect who got caught in that nonsense.
Not hostile at all. They didn’t just decide at 2:59 to stop service. If you or whomever were in the city the thought that the trains might stop running in a storm should have been, at the very least, enough to make you check and find out if that was the plan as the day progressed. And no, not even one person should EXPECT the LIRR to remain in service to get them home . Crap, on a good day that is an expectation that often does not hold up, for aany number of reasons. The MTA often can’t deliver on their daily responsibilities and you are expecting them to run trains in a tropical storm. Suppose they ran and a tree came down on the tracks and given the distance it takes to stop, they were unable to stop in time and therefore a train jack knifed and people were seriously injured or maybe died. I doubt you would advocate for that scenario.

So what to do.? Remain in the office or get a hotel. if you think Penn station was not a place that one would want to hang out. I am sorry, few jobs other than perhaps medical personnel, police and fire are that essential that they can’t leave. Maybe I have forgotten about some others but you get my gist. Additionally, this storm hit De. very hard and was being monitored by NYC office of Emergency Management. The weather channel as well as the NY tv stations were reporting what was happening here as early as 10:30 a.m. because I was on the phone with family relaying what was happening here
then and telling them to call the kids at work and tell them to get home before the RR shut down.

As to why so far in the past? During Sandy, I was in the Nassau County Emergency Management Center in East Meadow and not in NYC and not at the mercy of the MTA. However, I worked in NYC, during Gloria and made a decision to stay home rather than potentially get stuck in NYC because the trains shut down.

I stand on my comments that common sense needs to be applied in cases like this.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,333,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Not hostile at all. They didn’t just decide at 2:59 to stop service. If you or whomever were in the city the thought that the trains might stop running in a storm should have been, at the very least, enough to make you check and find out if that was the plan as the day progressed. And no, not even one person should EXPECT the LIRR to remain in service to get them home . Crap, on a good day that is an expectation that often does not hold up, for aany number of reasons. The MTA often can’t deliver on their daily responsibilities and you are expecting them to run trains in a tropical storm. Suppose they ran and a tree came down on the tracks and given the distance it takes to stop, they were unable to stop in time and therefore a train jack knifed and people were seriously injured or maybe died. I doubt you would advocate for that scenario.

So what to do.? Remain in the office or get a hotel. if you think Penn station was not a place that one would want to hang out. I am sorry, few jobs other than perhaps medical personnel, police and fire are that essential that they can’t leave. Maybe I have forgotten about some others but you get my gist. Additionally, this storm hit De. very hard and was being monitored by NYC office of Emergency Management. The weather channel as well as the NY tv stations were reporting what was happening here as early as 10:30 a.m. because I was on the phone with family relaying what was happening here
then and telling them to call the kids at work and tell them to get home before the RR shut down.

As to why so far in the past? During Sandy, I was in the Nassau County Emergency Management Center in East Meadow and not in NYC and not at the mercy of the MTA. However, I worked in NYC, during Gloria and made a decision to stay home rather than potentially get stuck in NYC because the trains shut down.

I stand on my comments that common sense needs to be applied in cases like this.
I agree - regardless of the anticipated strength and impact it was known at least 24 hours before that the path would take it over or near NYC.

We're talking about a transit organization that delays trains when wet leaves get on the track, or if a switch ices over. To expect them to operate during a bad storm is unrealistic.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:56 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,174,292 times
It happens. But the south shore line LIRR is notorious for being really late most of the time.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:07 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,931,288 times
Quote:
This is exactly what's wrong with NY. The stress (of jobs) that everyone is under because of the costs here. Everyone MUST make a living and go to great lengths to achieve it. Nobody here really remembers what "work to live, not live to work" really means anymore. There is no saving this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: