Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 06:27 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,837,832 times

Advertisements

Just talk to them nicely. Probably had no issues from the neighbor before and so became complacent. If you can smell it, so can the cops so politely saying "hey put a towel under the door or light some incense" or "dude, you're reeking up the whole block" is actually not antagonistic, it's just doing them a favor so they realize to dial it back a bit. Just try to be neighborly and not a narc about it. Pot smokers usually aren't looking for confrontation or hassles and they'd probably prefer not to hassle you either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 06:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,550,970 times
How close is this neighbor? I have trouble smelling my neighbors firepit.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:18 PM

73 posts, read 90,484 times
Appreciate all the feedback. Fortunately it seems that the heavy smoking stopped after about 2 weeks in later summer. Since we've been living here I've only had to put up with the stench a handful of times over the course of 3 months.

We're going to install a high privacy fence which will offer more separation between our property and theirs. The way the lots are laid out, our property lines practically blend into each other. To put in perspective of how close they are, if I'm leaning up against the side of my house facing theirs, I could easily touch the side of their house with a yard stick, and not have to fully extend my arm (no I haven't tried it, haha). The larger privacy fence will at the very least help mitigate if/when they're near my property line and smoking, but then at the same time that stench just gets everywhere, so it'll only be a minor deterrent, if at all.

We've discovered a much bigger issue at play, best saved for an entirely different thread. There's always "one" in every neighborhood, no matter how nice the neighborhood is, and from what our other neighbors have told us it so happens we have the "luck" of our new home being right next to the "one" in the neighborhood that's the pariah of the community.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island