Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 01:58 PM

73 posts, read 90,182 times

Advertisements

We just bought a great new place in Greenlawn/Dix Hills, and discovered unfortunately that our closest neighbors are very heavy weed smokers. And yes, I get it - in a room of 1000 people, 999 smoke weed and I am the only one who doesn't. I've been made aware by many people that I'm the "outcast" for not smoking. I honestly don't care if people do, that's not why I'm here. I'm simply aware of the fact that i'm the odd man out when it comes to weed.

My real problem? The stench makes me very sick to my stomach. I also have an 8 year old that I don't want being exposed to it. I'm not about to march next door like a male Karen and tell them to stop doing what they want to do with their own property. They also aren't the type that will be receptive to a polite conversation about it either, unfortunately.

So, I just want to know - what could I possibly due to mitigate the stench and blow over of smoke from them? They smoke outside in their backyard a lot, so whenever we're trying to enjoy a day outside we're basically putting up with the stench for most of that time. I'm assuming there's not much I can do at all, but I'm open to any possible suggestions to try and curb the stench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 04:12 PM

430 posts, read 559,403 times
First of all, you are not in the minority here. You have a right to not be exposed to an illegal narcotic while you are on your own property, especially with your child in mind. There are several approaches to take with your neighbors, but if they will not be receptive to a polite request to stop, then you may end up with escalating tensions. You can of course call the police on them, especially when you see them smoking outside of the house. You can also install an obvious security camera which has their yard in it's view and maybe a bright light too. That will deter the behavior, but also probably antagonize them. Don't feel bad about doing what you feel necessary though. Most people don't smoke weed and don't want it around their children for many reasons. It's also still illegal in NY and of course smells terrible.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:30 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,786,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post
We just bought a great new place in Greenlawn/Dix Hills, and discovered unfortunately that our closest neighbors are very heavy weed smokers. And yes, I get it - in a room of 1000 people, 999 smoke weed and I am the only one who doesn't. I've been made aware by many people that I'm the "outcast" for not smoking. I honestly don't care if people do, that's not why I'm here. I'm simply aware of the fact that i'm the odd man out when it comes to weed.

My real problem? The stench makes me very sick to my stomach. I also have an 8 year old that I don't want being exposed to it. I'm not about to march next door like a male Karen and tell them to stop doing what they want to do with their own property. They also aren't the type that will be receptive to a polite conversation about it either, unfortunately.

So, I just want to know - what could I possibly due to mitigate the stench and blow over of smoke from them? They smoke outside in their backyard a lot, so whenever we're trying to enjoy a day outside we're basically putting up with the stench for most of that time. I'm assuming there's not much I can do at all, but I'm open to any possible suggestions to try and curb the stench.
I feel for you, the stench makes me sick too. I absolutely hate it. It’s disgusting.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:39 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,178,308 times
Maybe they have a medical marijuana card and smoke legally? Not sure what your options could be. But if it legit makes you sick then that’s not right for you to be forced to smell it. This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:48 AM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post

What if the smell was emanating from a food you didn't care for, what would have been your approach? Ask them to stop cooking that particular food? Just curious.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-23-2020, 06:09 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
I am not a fan of the smell myself but I understand you dilemma. Question. How long is this a problem? You say it happens a lot. How many are smoking? I would guess that on a windy day it could be problematic or on a very humid day where the odor might hang in the air a while. While I don't like it, it seems hard to believe that this goes on for hours and hours.

Yes, it is illegal, no doubt. People buy houses to relax and enjoy the outside space. If you call the police there is little they can do or would do that would stop it. If you call and report them, it sounds like you will antagonize them. So you need to co-exist. IF you tell me that there are 10 people daily that is a different story, but if they go outside once a day, then I am afraid you will need to go inside unless you want to get several large fans for the outside that circulate the air around. Even that may not help you .

Old 08-23-2020, 06:49 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,243,037 times
you're not in the minority here. I realize that smoke rises, but do you think a six foot high stockade fence would help ? (if the smokers are not on a high deck in their backyard)

Old 08-23-2020, 08:10 AM

22,692 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What if the smell was emanating from a food you didn't care for, what would have been your approach? Ask them to stop cooking that particular food? Just curious.
Strange analogy. Eating isn’t illegal and it’s not something you’d want to shield your kid from. Most people cook indoors. If they BBQ it’s usually a small selection of foods and usually once a day. You would also have the expectation that that might happen when you buy a house in the suburbs.

As nuts stated we need more context here. Is it all day every day. How many people. Would some tall trees planted on the border of the property help? Any way to install a fan for some air circulation? It’s just hard to believe this is an all day every day problem but if it is maybe when people can get back to work, that will help.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:20 AM

412 posts, read 291,155 times
Have you talked to them?

I don't like confrontation either. But, I've literally met neighbors and felt like I made a new friend in cases where the reason for the discussion was a problem like this. I find if you talk to people nicely, most people are nice...even on LI. If you don't ask them to stop but ask them to do it in certain parts of the yard if possible or at certain times when your kids aren't outside etc, you may find a good compromise and make a new friend.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:49 AM

874 posts, read 730,289 times
what if they were smoking cigarettes and cigars?

those are bad for your health. but since they sell them at the store its ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island