Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 28,491,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why opposed to first floor master? I know many who would kill for that!
Lots of parents who have small kids want to be on the same level as their children. I have seen this on house hunters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:10 PM

37 posts, read 48,149 times
If we didn't have young children we would definitely want the MB on the first floor

Old 10-16-2020, 07:39 PM

We aren't opposed to 1+ but it wasn't a priority. I didn't realize how little inventory there is in Melville and why. It sounds like we will have a better chance finding something in Dix Hills. If we had a bigger budget would it be worth it to be in Melville and how much more would we need to find something that is close to the Nassau border and isn't a gated community

Old 10-17-2020, 07:13 PM

276 posts, read 231,834 times
one of the reasons i like that area of dh is many of the homes are on hills with front yards set back from the street, and large heavily wooded backyards.

dont see much for sale there right now. if you look at this first sold listing especially, good example of the lots im talking about.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...9304723_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...9592943_zpid/?

Old 10-18-2020, 06:05 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
No we aren't commuting to Manhattan. Otherwise we wouldn't look this far out

We don't need 1+ acres. None of the homes we saw in Nassau
Had that much land. While a gated community is nice we aren't looking
To pay hoa fees. I assume you get more value in fix hills bc it is farther out.

Are there not a lot of homes in Melville in general or just my price range.
Ideally we wanted either a colonial or ranch with 4 bedrooms and at least 2 1/2
Baths with a nice size kitchen and family room as well as a decent sized backyard
In a kid friendly neighborhood
We didn't want to have to do to much work especially now.

I will look at the areas you suggested and see what is available as well as the
Links you sent

Thanks
Since a ranch by definition is a single floor the bedrooms are on the main floor. The Colonial on the other hand has all bedrooms on the second floor. So then you eliminate a ranch, a split will have generally have the bedrooms and bath on the "second" floor, colonial will be on the second, cape cods, will be 1/2 & 1/2 unless remodeled to resemble a colonial.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 PM

38 posts, read 30,709 times
I second what gx89 says - the Tuxedo Hills part of Melville. It is convenient for highway access, about as close to Nassau as you can get if that is a priority, and pretty much anything I need can be obtained by going down 110. Getting to the Cold Spring Harbour station isn't too bad either.

I don't know if this is a consideration or not - one part of Tuxedo Hills has underground electric, while the other part has the typical above ground on poles (there are a ton of trees in this area). During the big storm that blew down a ton of trees this year, the above ground section lost power. The underground electric section did not lose power (and did not lose power after Sandy either). Obviously historical performance has no bearing on the future - just a data point for your consideration.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:40 PM

thanks for the update about tuxedo hills - always good to know this type of information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island