Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 05:13 AM

1,263 posts, read 561,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Long Beach is a lost cause. They don’t want anything over there. Anything built in LB is guaranteed to start at 1m. Either high end condos or very large homes on water. LB doesn’t have a terrible reputation, pockets are run down. And is always a flood risk.

Commercial space is dead. We are never going back to the offices! There is tons of office space on 110 and Jericho turnpike that will be repurposed. Prob the last thing LI needs.
Plus as we have seen, the City will fight just about any build, even completely legal ones, if it threatens the ocean view. And even on the brink of bankruptcy and on the hook for a $130 Million judgment for exactly that, they'll continue to do the same thing because it helps to pick up a few votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 06:33 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
What?

If they don’t pay then the town repo’s the house.
If it’s a section 8 home (and many in Hempstead are) then no they aren’t paying property taxes. The taxpayer is, and the slumlords that own dozens of houses get rich off it.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:28 AM

9,172 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Gentrification Along South shore coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Heya folks,

Over the years I've seen ToB and ToI get better and better and only one thing comes to mind - gentrification. Even central island hoods are popping out new stores and condos. Since this island isnt getting any bigger, I wonder if developers would ever gentrify anything south of the sunrise.

We have the best beaches and decent proximity to ... well now NYC isnt worth anything so cant say proximity to anything other than family - if they say.

Do you guys think that developers will build here despite the terrible politics and laughable high cost of living? It would be cool for something good to finally happen here but I'm not sure if it's giving this dying island too much optimisim.
I am not sure if I agree with what you are saying, across most of the South Shore from like Baldwin eastward out to say Bellport, the areas south of Sunrise are pretty nice. Indeed, the majority of Long Island's poorer communities are NOT south of Sunrise, they are instead toward the center of the Island.

Take Baldwin vs Baldwin Harbor on the water. And then basically continue that eastward to at least Bellport, with only a few exceptions the areas are nicer toward the water.

Btw regarding politics, if developers can handle NYC machine politics, then Long Island politics are a piece of cake.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:38 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
The word “gentrification” makes my skin crawl.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,415 times
Quote:
Heya folks,

Over the years I've seen ToB and ToI get better and better and only one thing comes to mind - gentrification. Even central island hoods are popping out new stores and condos. Since this island isnt getting any bigger, I wonder if developers would ever gentrify anything south of the sunrise.

We have the best beaches and decent proximity to ... well now NYC isnt worth anything so cant say proximity to anything other than family - if they say.

Do you guys think that developers will build here despite the terrible politics and laughable high cost of living? It would be cool for something good to finally happen here but I'm not sure if it's giving this dying island too much optimisim.
The Town of Islip has approved a development called Heartland Town Square in Brentwood which is supposed to be mixed use residential development which will be walkable to transportation and stores/offices. It is approved for the entire 452 acres of the old Pilgrim Psychiatric Center and is supposed to have about 3,500 units. Who knows when the construction will actually start though.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:51 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Heya folks,

"NYC isn't worth anything"? Ridiculously not true.

LI is not dying, it will still be here, & it will still be a desirable place to live, long after all of us here now are gone.

So yes.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The word “gentrification” makes my skin crawl.
Its run its course. It doesn't even mean what it used to.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

LI is not dying, it will still be here, & it will still be a desirable place to live, long after all of us here now are gone.

So yes.
Yup. LI could get way more expensive & ppl would still come

Old 03-21-2021, 07:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

So yes.
If the state actually does these tax hikes they are talking about. It will be the nail in the coffin for the state. The very wealthy and finance will just leave eroding the tax base. Then we can become a welfare state and get more federal aid.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:20 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yup. LI could get way more expensive & ppl would still come
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
If the state actually does these tax hikes they are talking about. It will be the nail in the coffin for the state. The very wealthy and finance will just leave eroding the tax base. Then we can become a welfare state and get more federal aid.
Uncertain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island