Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 06:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,207,091 times

Advertisements

So - you say you DO turn the AC down during the day while I'm at work? HA - PSEG says you don't. Gotcha.

No choice. They got tired of waiting for people to go along with big brother.

But no more estimated bills - does this mean no more balanced budget payments too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:07 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So - you say you DO turn the AC down during the day while I'm at work? HA - PSEG says you don't. Gotcha.

No choice. They got tired of waiting for people to go along with big brother.

But no more estimated bills - does this mean no more balanced budget payments too?
I have one othe rthn no one has to read the meter it's the same. You can still do balance budget. As far as temp goes, I opted in to let them change my AC 1 degree as they paid me $170 for2 thermostats and I can override if I wish. You have to sign up and have ecobee, nest or other higher end "smart" thermostat.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 PM

109 posts, read 96,703 times
Default net meter

I have net meter due to solar roof. I was lucky to be home when PSEG guy was swapping out old meter to smart meter and told him NO, I'm keeping old one. He said there would be $25 monthly fee for reader to come out. This was a few months ago and my bill is still the same.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:18 PM

78 posts, read 67,282 times
Well the water company already reads from the street, what's the issue with the electric company doing the same?

I'd rather not have someone randomly creeping onto my property to read the meter.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
There are 2 issues here - trusting PSEGLI and trusting the meter. I’ve had smart meters in my last 2 houses with zero problems. My bills are accurate.

As to PSEGLI that’s a different story.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:08 AM

516 posts, read 1,077,967 times
It's the Tin Foil Hat People who think the "Radio Waves" are going to give them Cancer.

All the fuss about cancer while they are sitting on the couch with a Laptop on their lap and a Cellphone by their side. The transmitters in both devices have more power and are closer to you then the Smart Meter.

Be back later, I have to go Microwave my breakfast Lol

Old 03-24-2021, 06:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,829,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
It's the Tin Foil Hat People who think the "Radio Waves" are going to give them Cancer.

All the fuss about cancer while they are sitting on the couch with a Laptop on their lap and a Cellphone by their side. The transmitters in both devices have more power and are closer to you then the Smart Meter.

Be back later, I have to go Microwave my breakfast Lol
Didn't even know that was an issue. The issue for solar owners is the net meter just goes forward and back, easy peasy, the Smart meter will be tweaked with code that will squeeze more money out of solar owners based on convoluted fuzzy math. The Net meter goes up and down, no nonsense. THAT is why they want to swap them out ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoluccm View Post
I have net meter due to solar roof. I was lucky to be home when PSEG guy was swapping out old meter to smart meter and told him NO, I'm keeping old one. He said there would be $25 monthly fee for reader to come out. This was a few months ago and my bill is still the same.
This! And for the meter reading I just take a pic w/ Newsday date line in the background and load the meter reading into the website. Never had a problem.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:22 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,413,113 times
OH, the btching just keeps going on here on the LI forum. People need to get a life. GO outside, breathe some fresh air, enjoy whatever time you have left. Stop btching over the nonsense.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:23 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,154,061 times
Not PSEG, but I had my utility company provided thermostat in my home. I figured, why not, they would provide them at no cost and during the summer they could "stall" my thermostat for a block of 2 hours to help conserve energy and I got a credit. Win-Win. I was fine with it. We changed our heating system and the thermostat stopped working, so I decided to buy my own because we had to wait for a new install and it was too cold to wait. We figured they could no longer "read" the thermostat so we would lose our credit. Much to my surprise, I still get it years later and they have no ability to control this thermostat. Refuse, chances are like Paoluccm, you will not notice any change at all.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,207,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Not PSEG, but I had my utility company provided thermostat in my home. I figured, why not, they would provide them at no cost and during the summer they could "stall" my thermostat for a block of 2 hours to help conserve energy and I got a credit. Win-Win. I was fine with it. We changed our heating system and the thermostat stopped working, so I decided to buy my own because we had to wait for a new install and it was too cold to wait. We figured they could no longer "read" the thermostat so we would lose our credit. Much to my surprise, I still get it years later and they have no ability to control this thermostat. Refuse, chances are like Paoluccm, you will not notice any change at all.
That gives us a good idea. Nobody wants to come home to pets in heat stroke or wilted plants because some PSEG arse decided to pause my ac fot the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island