Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,359 times

Advertisements

Trying to buy a home in the Town of Brookhaven, the home owners prior to the current owners got a certificate of occupancy (CO) over 10 years ago for a screened in porch. The current owners enclosed the screened in porch and did not get a CO: (1) what is customary to do in this situation from a seller and buyer perspective (2) what is a ballpark figure to get a CO (3) does this stall future renovations to the home (i.e. adding a legal bedroom within the current layout of the home) (4) is there any merit or advantage to having a CO for the screened in porch that is now an enclosed porch? Any advice, past experience or two-cents welcome. Unsure how long we will be in the home, could be 3 years or 30 years. At this point sellers are willing to drop the price 3K but that doesn't seem enough -- devastated to walk away from the home which seems to be the concensus from most people so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 05:35 AM

150 posts, read 110,057 times
Who’s the dumbass to tel you to walk away from the home cause of a covered porch. And one that the seller has already deducted an additional 3k for? Can you find a better home for a better price? If yes, then use this excuse to back out. If not, then you buy the damn home.

A covered porch is something that costs hundreds of dollars to demo. Or probably at most 5k max, to get plans drawn up and filed (if you ever even need to do it). If you plan on doing major renovations that require permits down the line, you just do it all together.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:36 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Enclosed as in they just put in windows or enclosed as in it is now a full on addition?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Is it now heated?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
We do not want to demo the enclosed porch, the home is very small and it's about 1/3 of the main floor (no basement). It's the nicest room in the home to date quite honestly.
Yes, it is heated and there are ceiling lights, windows, etc. It is fully enclosed now, there is a glass door to the outside.
It was mentioned by the seller's realtor initially that there was a CO for the screened-in porch (which doesn't exist) but not the current structure (enclosed porch) and it was brought to our attention by our attorney that that current area does not have a CO.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:55 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Unfortunately that “screened in porch” is now living area. And will need to go thru the process of getting it officially by the town.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:00 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
If your bank will allow it, close and ignore it. I purchased a home with an extension, finished basement with a bathroom and a deck no C/O on any of it. I then solid it 3 years later the same way. The permit game is so so overblown. Sure I wouldn’t buy a home with with a full second floor addition w/ no c/o. A enclosed porch and small things who cares.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:25 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Well, it's up to your bank whether they will close with it. But since you want to do work on the house later on, you'll be responsible for getting it permitted along with the other work you plan. And your taxes will now encompass that as living space.

I'm guessing seller is in the driver's seat here. If you won't buy someone paying cash probably will. If the house checks all you boxes and you're ready to deal with the permit process and pay the extra taxes, go for it.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 16,625 times
I have been down this route before when I bought my home. There was a discrepancy in the contract details vs the CO description (enclosed porch vs. screened in porch). So I questioned it and it turns out that the prior owners literally enclosed the screened in porch with exterior siding, windows, drywall, and a door. My attorney made a convincing point that the physical structure already existed with a CO and "enhancements" were made due to the change in ownership over the years. We found this to be minor and ended up going through with the house since it checked all the boxes.

In your case, it is something to think about. Certain things can go unnoticed especially if it is out of sight. Similar to what others have said, I would be more concerned about a major addition like a second floor extension with no paperwork.

Last edited by altidelete; 07-07-2021 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island