Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 09:40 AM

17 posts, read 12,160 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking added some cover along the wall from the backdoor to the garage and make it like a cover walkway, but pavement may not be necessary. Another stairs to the other direction is acceptable if necessary. The purpose is to shelter the pedestrian from weather. I don't see many of this in LI. Is it feasible? How much will it cost roughly, including design, permit and building? Thank you for reading the helping.

Cost of Covered Walkway-dd9c1244ba8b2f70c2cc6984a5609a4b-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 12:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
I’m guessing there is no way to add a door in the garage to enter from inside the house? Would be a lot cheaper.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I’m guessing there is no way to add a door in the garage to enter from inside the house? Would be a lot cheaper.
Oh, I thought it was more expensive. How much would that be? I'm open to either, but would like to have an rough idea regarding the cost. The main level is higher than the garage. Thank you.

Old 10-29-2021, 10:20 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Most would put a little awning over the back door but 2 umbrellas and call it a day.

Door from garage to inside house if it’s uneven you can put a step in the garage and should take care of that. Just need to see if you can cut an opening and need a fire rated metal door.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Most would put a little awning over the back door but 2 umbrellas and call it a day.

Door from garage to inside house if it’s uneven you can put a step in the garage and should take care of that. Just need to see if you can cut an opening and need a fire rated metal door.

The umbrellas may not withstand the snow I'm afraid.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:25 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
What about a retractable Awning?

Old 10-29-2021, 01:40 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_yan View Post
The umbrellas may not withstand the snow I'm afraid.
Sorry I meant a umbrella to get you from garage to the awning covered door.

What’s the reason for this? To project you from the elements I assume ?

Old 10-30-2021, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 39,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_yan View Post
Oh, I thought it was more expensive. How much would that be? I'm open to either, but would like to have an rough idea regarding the cost. The main level is higher than the garage. Thank you.

Looking at your photo, you would probably need a permit (if done legally) to construct something that would run from immediately in front of the garage door, over to those rather steep steps, up the steps, and over the landing in front of the door in the photo. That's the only way that you'd end up with a 100% 'protected' walk from garage into house, as it is. Any kind of awning would, IMHO, look terribly cheap/tacky next to those exterior materials (and that's a slate roof, if I'm not mistaken) and so you'd need to have something custom built.

It would be much MUCH easier and probably less expensive to put a door in the interior garage wall that connects to the house itself, IF the room on the other side can accommodate it. If opening a door on the room side would hit something, there's no law that says you can't have it open into the garage instead (though typically it does open the other way). Garages are typically anywhere from one to three steps lower than the house floor level, so that's no big deal. Steps can be built of wood or poured concrete. It should be a fire rated door because of the vehicles in the garage. Again, no big deal, and I don't believe it would/should require a permit. How big is the garage? If it's at least 2 cars wide, you should definitely have space available for some steps.

The only glitch to the interior-door idea is if your house walls are lath-and-plaster. The house looks to be fairly old in that pic, so that's something I thought of. Getting anyone who does lath-and-plaster work nowadays is worse than finding a needle in a haystack, and would cost big bucks. But if the garage/house party wall is typical studs-and-sheetrock, really it's not a big deal to install a door and steps.

Last edited by blueworld; 10-30-2021 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-30-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What about a retractable Awning?
The purpose is to protect the pedestrian from the rain and snow, thus a retractable awning won't work I guess?

Old 10-30-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Sorry I meant a umbrella to get you from garage to the awning covered door.

What’s the reason for this? To project you from the elements I assume ?
I see. Yes, you're right, and I don't want to walk in the snow or the rain, especially with my kids. However, it seems LI people don't care too much about it, most cars are just parked outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island