Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 06:13 AM

13,070 posts, read 18,289,659 times

Advertisements

My dad was fantastic with plywood and when I was a kid he made a huge sled, thinking 5 ft long including the rails maybe 3 -4 ft wide. Then he made a Santa who had a raised arm (up in a wave) and 8 reindeer. There was more than one reindeer patter too, because some had a hoof bent back and others were in a grazing like position. That was on our lawn for years at Christmas. When we sold our parents home there was only one reindeer left and the sled and it was so old and brittle we tossed it.

We know he subscribed to the Family Handyman magazine too, but my sister and I seem to recall it was a Daily News pattern. There is one similar now in the Winfield Collection of patterns, but they did not exist back then and the reindeer and Santa are different.

Does anyone recall if the Daily News published patterns or maybe and ad for them? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 06:31 AM

19,336 posts, read 17,278,667 times
I can only say I remember the magazines with all those patterns they were very popular in the 50's & 60's, back then a sheet of exterior plywood didn't require a bank loan...

Old 11-28-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can only say I remember the magazines with all those patterns they were very popular in the 50's & 60's, back then a sheet of exterior plywood didn't require a bank loan...
We got to talking about it on Thanksgiving, our memories of it and the packages in it and the we started to figure it out.
My sister and I figured if we were going to do it now the cost would be up there. 2 Reindeer per 4 x 8 = 4 sheets. Santa = 1 sheet. Sled = 3 sheets, (1 each side and a third for the back and front and seat of the sled.) So 8 sheets, plus the screws and screw eyes for the reins, plus the paint. He had such fun making it too. He would be so astonished if he were alive today.

We were lamenting that it is now a lost art due to cost.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We got to talking about it on Thanksgiving, our memories of it and the packages in it and the we started to figure it out.
My sister and I figured if we were going to do it now the cost would be up there. 2 Reindeer per 4 x 8 = 4 sheets. Santa = 1 sheet. Sled = 3 sheets, (1 each side and a third for the back and front and seat of the sled.) So 8 sheets, plus the screws and screw eyes for the reins, plus the paint. He had such fun making it too. He would be so astonished if he were alive today.

We were lamenting that it is now a lost art due to cost.
Not just a lost art but not cool, no lights, no movement. I also remember they use to have paper/vinyl images that you glued to the plywood then cut it out. Of course I am old enough to remember updating furniture with contact paper...

Old 11-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Not just a lost art but not cool, no lights, no movement. I also remember they use to have paper/vinyl images that you glued to the plywood then cut it out. Of course I am old enough to remember updating furniture with contact paper...
Hey take it easy on yourself, I recall that too!!! My dad mounted a flashlight behind Rudolphs nose and he had that red plastic ribbon in front of it so it looked like his nose was glowing red. He would go out every night and turn it on and then off. Such great memories.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hey take it easy on yourself, I recall that too!!! My dad mounted a flashlight behind Rudolphs nose and he had that red plastic ribbon in front of it so it looked like his nose was glowing red. He would go out every night and turn it on and then off. Such great memories.
Growing up in NY it seemed like there was always snow for the holiday and because of that lawn decorations like the cut-outs were popular and a few strands of lights on the bushes or inside on the windows. These 10,000,000 light displays we see down south never existed and no one would want to be on a ladder in January trying to take the strands off of the gutters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island