Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 09:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
arent the heirs the new owners now?
The heirs are usually the ones wanting to get rid of crap,not old people who boarded stuff and can’t let go as OP described.

We will be having one in the near future. We won’t even be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 09:55 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsifal View Post
You should leave a horrible review, that is so unprofessional and sounds like a waste of your time.

Behavior like this is why I personally never sell anything, I offer to my extended family first and if they don’t want it I put it by the curb or put a picture on Facebook and tell people it’s free to first person who sends me a message. Otherwise People get real weird and say they want to buy it but then they don’t show up or when they show up they want to negotiate a lower price.

I agree with whoever said it sounds like hoarding, once someone else expresses an interest they can’t bear to part with it.
Agree. I stick stuff on the curb and put it on Nextdoor. It’s free and they still want you to hold it smh. I don’t respond to inquiries. It’s at the curb get it or don’t!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
When we cleaned out my parents home, we chose what we wanted to keep and the rest we told our neighbors who had kids going into college that if they wanted anything it was theirs for the taking with a dead line. Donated 3 tv's to locale schools and then what could be donated was. Then the dumpster arrived and it was a refreshing, cathartic few days as we toss crap into it.

FWIW, I have heard from many friends who have used them that Sisters in Charge do a fabulous job at tag sales.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
There are outfits which wil come and pickup used clothes,dishes,furniture,I used one which raise money for battered wives.
Salvation Army could come if you have what they want.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:26 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Brothers Dan and Dave of the "PackRats" do an awesome job. They sort, sell, clean, and donate what is salvageable and doesn't sell. I've used them for sellers.
DM me for contact number if interested. (no benefit to me!)

Old 12-29-2021, 06:16 AM

38 posts, read 94,278 times
Can’t stand competing with the resellers who think they have seniority over other buyers. It should be first in line, first in the door. But they make their own “take a number” rule. They slyly stick a sheet of paper with numbers in their windshield and buyers are supposed to know to take a number. Then when the sale opens everyone comes from out of nowhere and cuts the line with their numbers. This numbers game isn’t even run by the people hired to run the sale, it’s the professional resellers who make their own stupid rule. This gives themselves the advantage of first pick by taking up the first several numbers so they have the place to scavage through by themselves while the rest of us stand outside until the next group of buyers are allowed in the door.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitterChatter View Post
Can’t stand competing with the resellers who think they have seniority over other buyers. It should be first in line, first in the door. But they make their own “take a number” rule. They slyly stick a sheet of paper with numbers in their windshield and buyers are supposed to know to take a number. Then when the sale opens everyone comes from out of nowhere and cuts the line with their numbers. This numbers game isn’t even run by the people hired to run the sale, it’s the professional resellers who make their own stupid rule. This gives themselves the advantage of first pick by taking up the first several numbers so they have the place to scavage through by themselves while the rest of us stand outside until the next group of buyers are allowed in the door.
Yep... Back when I attended sales more often there was this character I was told used to bribe his way into sales. Sure enough, he showed up at a sale and cut the whole line. The "regulars" were furious and the offender thought the whole thing was funny and laughed at everyone going in the door.

I have only the one experience lately along with a friend who recently hired a company along with her sister to handle their mother's estate claiming they had insiders skim off all the best stuff in advance.

Unfortunately I do not think there is any oversight or regulation of the tag/estate sale industry and the companies that offer services, so I am assuming one would diligently screen and review companies prior to hiring one.

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 12-29-2021 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling Error

Old 12-30-2021, 09:18 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I have never bought anything at an estate sale or yard sale, but I have browsed a few. I don't need someone else's crap when I have plenty of my own. I'd love to have a big yard sale. I tell my husband if he doesn't start selling his collections I am calling American Pickers to come buy it LOL.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:29 PM

259 posts, read 174,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
There are outfits which wil come and pickup used clothes,dishes,furniture,I used one which raise money for battered wives.
Salvation Army could come if you have what they want.
I would never donate to a homophobic organization like Salvation Army.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:09 AM

129 posts, read 129,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Brothers Dan and Dave of the "PackRats" do an awesome job. They sort, sell, clean, and donate what is salvageable and doesn't sell. I've used them for sellers.
DM me for contact number if interested. (no benefit to me!)
What is the typical commission for local services like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: