Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 03:33 PM

39 posts, read 29,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Insane. I was a Newsday paper boy in 1976 and it was 75 cents a week and 15 cents for Sunday. So, 90 cents a week. And that was before it wasn’t extension of CNN fake news.
Not exactly on topic, but…
I delivered Newsday circa 1972- I don’t remember the price exactly, but in those days we had to ‘collect’ as it was called. The paper was ~ $1.00 a week, give or take a dime. A number of people would hide/not answer the door/say they had no money - when I came calling. I was twelve and fronting money for adults.
Pennysaver was better- no collecting but stuffing those red bags was a hassle, and they terrorized the kids saying that inspectors were always out checking what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:12 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many years ago we had it delivered for the coupons. The thing is, both of us had to be to work by 6. The paper guy was so chaotic he rarely delivered it by 540 so we dropped it. It's no longer news if you are reading it when the news is on tv that night.
Until a few years ago I had a Newsday carrier who delivered the paper around 3:30 a.m. He retired and the paper is still delivered early, usually around 5:30 a.m.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Just call, they'll lower it to 7 bucks a week. That's the game these days, just like oil, cable, cell service, etc. no loyalty. New customers get promos, loyal old customers get what they can haggle for.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:16 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Just call, they'll lower it to 7 bucks a week. That's the game these days, just like oil, cable, cell service, etc. no loyalty. New customers get promos, loyal old customers get what they can haggle for.
I’m paying less than that but I make it clear that I will cancel unless they keep my subscription price near the new customer promo price, and I have cancelled when they didn’t.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:21 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Insane. I was a Newsday paper boy in 1976 and it was 75 cents a week and 15 cents for Sunday. So, 90 cents a week. And that was before it wasn’t extension of CNN fake news.
Me too LOL

I helped by older brothers with their routes and then took it over in the early seventies when they quit. I remember when the daily and Sunday was .90 and I had this one cheap customer that always wanted his dime change back after giving me a buck.
I did make good money for a kid, and it taught us responsibility. Plus the whole neighborhood knew me and my brothers and would always call us first when they needed their driveway shoveled or leaves rakes etc.
We were hustlers back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: