Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 12:43 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by copiague_used_to_be_nice View Post
I've been living in Copiague for 30+ years and I believe I'm an expert on this town by now. Don't come here. I live in the heavily Hispanic part of town and it's absolutely not the pretty diversity story that some people would like to make you believe.

Houses are overcrowded. There are no parking spots on the street anymore and I had lost "my" parking space in front of my home. Now I just park both my cars in the driveway. Drug deals happen with daily frequency and I have witnessed 3 high speed Police chases on my street (I believe 3 in the last 2 years). Loud music late into the night, from 4 corners of the world, sometimes simultaneously. Had my fence spray painted twice with gang signs and now I'll have to upgrade my security camera system to a full out 24/7 surveillance.

Murders are also on the rise, and lots of that is spilling over from North Amityville. Starting to notice an increase of homeless people as well, a few months ago the county was planning on dumping a bunch of them into a Copiague hotel but the Town Of Babylon stopped it. No doubt Copiague will also become a dumping ground for illegal immigrants as well if it hasn't already.

Last month at around 3 in the morning I spotted a bunch of Suffolk PD officers canvasing the area around my house for what I imagine were either bullet fragments or shell casings. I don't know I didn't ask, just recorded them with my phone since that was odd. 5 more years and I'm outta here and I can't recommend this place at all.
seriously, move. no white person that has lived on long island back when it was a great, safe place to live should still be living in towns like yours. sell and get the f out.

same thing has happened in north east queens in once beautiful, safe places like whitestone, bayside and little neck. even douglaston. now all full of 3rd world scum renting one of 10 apts in mcmansions. people that could never get into these neighborhoods in the 80s or 90s before all the homes were knocked down and rebuilt as apartments. never heard of one gun incident in my area growing up back in the day, now there's a gun incident every day. there's still about 5 white families left on my street. houses are going for $1M. everyone is cashing out and getting out of dodge. we'll all be gone within 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 07:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
seriously, move. no white person that has lived on long island back when it was a great, safe place to live should still be living in towns like yours. sell and get the f out.

same thing has happened in north east queens in once beautiful, safe places like whitestone, bayside and little neck. even douglaston. now all full of 3rd world scum renting one of 10 apts in mcmansions. people that could never get into these neighborhoods in the 80s or 90s before all the homes were knocked down and rebuilt as apartments. never heard of one gun incident in my area growing up back in the day, now there's a gun incident every day. there's still about 5 white families left on my street. houses are going for $1M. everyone is cashing out and getting out of dodge. we'll all be gone within 3 years.
Confirmed! my wife works at a Elementary public school, kids from Little neck and bayside go there. She says its insane the drastic changes in the demographics and behavior of kids in the last 7 years.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Thanks. Repped you all. Realtor seems to have inventory there and in islip too. She had lots for sale in Shirley and Mastic but we ruled those out because they seemed seedy
. None of us have time to run and look at everything. .
eh, you should be telling the realtor where you want to buy - not being directed to places where she has "inventory".

Old 06-16-2023, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 5,229 times
What a sad story. It’s a shame that decent longtime residents of a neighborhood have to experience such a decline. It’s pretty awful and should be a lesson to anyone who is considering a move to a neighborhood that is “diverse†or “in flux.â€

Old 06-16-2023, 11:11 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
I've been living in Copiague for 30+ years and I believe I'm an expert on this town by now. Don't come here. I live in the heavily Hispanic part of town and it's absolutely not the pretty diversity story that some people would like to make you believe.

Houses are overcrowded. There are no parking spots on the street anymore and I had lost "my" parking space in front of my home. Now I just park both my cars in the driveway. Drug deals happen with daily frequency and I have witnessed 3 high speed Police chases on my street (I believe 3 in the last 2 years). Loud music late into the night, from 4 corners of the world, sometimes simultaneously. Had my fence spray painted twice with gang signs and now I'll have to upgrade my security camera system to a full out 24/7 surveillance.

Murders are also on the rise, and lots of that is spilling over from North Amityville. Starting to notice an increase of homeless people as well, a few months ago the county was planning on dumping a bunch of them into a Copiague hotel but the Town Of Babylon stopped it. No doubt Copiague will also become a dumping ground for illegal immigrants as well if it hasn't already.

Last month at around 3 in the morning I spotted a bunch of Suffolk PD officers canvasing the area around my house for what I imagine were either bullet fragments or shell casings. I don't know I didn't ask, just recorded them with my phone since that was odd. 5 more years and I'm outta here and I can't recommend this place at all.
What murders in Copaigue??

Old 06-16-2023, 05:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
eh, you should be telling the realtor where you want to buy - not being directed to places where she has "inventory".

This!!!

Unless OP gave a price range to the agent and those were the only areas matching the budget...

Old 06-16-2023, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 6,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
What murders in Copaigue??

https://longisland.news12.com/police...oting-has-died

https://longisland.news12.com/police...-copiague-deli

These are the 2 most recent ones. But if you keep going back you'll find more.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:28 PM

12 posts, read 6,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

As far as the racial demographic on my block it's just me and my elderly Italian neighbor who are left. 15 years ago this town still looked like it might have had a chance with the Polish community trying to keep it nice but they all have moved to Lindenhurst, further west or returned back to the homeland.

Finances are what's keeping me tied down here, as I am a single earner, and the proceeds of the sale would have to be split between me and my brother. I have to rough it out a bit more before I can elevate myself to a nicer neighborhood. I don't want to rent out apartments in my house as well and play the "live in landlord" so I gave myself a safe-ish timeline of 5 years.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:14 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
https://longisland.news12.com/police...oting-has-died

https://longisland.news12.com/police...-copiague-deli

These are the 2 most recent ones. But if you keep going back you'll find more.
3 years apart hardly counts as a spree....

Old 06-17-2023, 11:14 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I dont get why everybody complains about the neighborhood changing, they dont pass down the houses to the kids, what do they expect

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island