Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 04:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Per the NYS report card Kings Park School district demographics:

BLACK OR AFRICAN AMERICAN: 23 students = 1%

HISPANIC OR LATINO: 314 students = 12%

ASIAN OR NATIVE HAWAIIAN/OTHER PACIFIC ISLANDER: 97 students = 4%

WHITE: 2,243 students = 82%

MULTIRACIAL: 51 students = 2%

Keep in mind there are people like me who are white Hispanic. My children were counted as Hispanic, not white for our school district census. (Not KP) Long story short, some of those 314 students are going to be white.
I put both my kids down as hispanic when registered for school. Now if they go to college they can play the race card. These stats my not always be accurate cause ding dongs like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 06:21 PM

544 posts, read 939,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I put both my kids down as hispanic when registered for school. Now if they go to college they can play the race card. These stats my not always be accurate cause ding dongs like me.
Same, because they are. My daughter was recognized as a National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar for a high PSAT score. Colleges seek these students out (gotta look diverse) and will offer more money to woo these students.

If your children place well on the PSATs AND remember to mark themselves Hispanic, they might place, too.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:01 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,953,270 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Same, because they are. My daughter was recognized as a National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar for a high PSAT score. Colleges seek these students out (gotta look diverse) and will offer more money to woo these students.

If your children place well on the PSATs AND remember to mark themselves Hispanic, they might place, too.
Don’t ‘accidentally’ mark them down as Asian…

(Actually, there is a pending Supreme Court case that might address anti-Asian discrimination in college admissions …. but one suspects the elite colleges will somehow continue race-based admission decisions despite an adverse ruling.)

Old 06-24-2023, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 4,558 times
The last couple of post shows how parents raise their white children to go into school and tease the maybe 2 black/Hispanic kids out of 200 white kids in a professional program, Assuming that they are there because of their race. From my personal experience, there were 5 black kids in my doctorate program (out of 130 students), all scored near perfect on their standardized tests and A+ students. I highly doubt that they were there because of their race. They all graduated top 10% of our class. I wonder if it would make white people feel better if those 5 seats were given to white kids and there’s no black kids at all to ensure that the “race card” is not being played.

Anyhoo, this post is about Kings Park,NY but is taking a different turn. Does anyone on this site actually live in Kings Park and like to comment about what you love about the area?

Old 06-24-2023, 08:25 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidngo View Post

Anyhoo, this post is about Kings Park,NY but is taking a different turn. Does anyone on this site actually live in Kings Park and like to comment about what you love about the area?
I live close by , so cannot comment on the schools, but can comment on the area as I visit there often.
Kings Park has a real "downtown" with older homes. The main drag (25A) was somewhat depressed years ago but seems to be coming back. There are some really nice neighborhoods in the town, especially down by Sunken Meadow Rd. / Kohr Rd areas.
It's very hilly , which is unusual for most of Long Island.
It's on the water - Sunken Meadow State Park sits in the town of Kings Park. It gets really busy there on summer weekends , but traffic is mainly on the parkway leading to the park, not the secondary roads.
You also have a nice waterfront park (the bluff as locals call it) and Nissequogue River State Park. There is a nice walking path from downtown that goes all the way to Nissequogue River State Park.
Nice place to live if you enjoy the outdoors.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:49 AM

544 posts, read 939,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidngo View Post
The last couple of post shows how parents raise their white children to go into school and tease the maybe 2 black/Hispanic kids out of 200 white kids in a professional program, Assuming that they are there because of their race. From my personal experience, there were 5 black kids in my doctorate program (out of 130 students), all scored near perfect on their standardized tests and A+ students. I highly doubt that they were there because of their race. They all graduated top 10% of our class. I wonder if it would make white people feel better if those 5 seats were given to white kids and there’s no black kids at all to ensure that the “race card” is not being played.

I'm sorry, but who is teasing anyone? I'm Spaniard and Puerto Rican. My Puerto Rican grandmother wasn't white. Having been through the college app process twice in the last 10 years, I can safely aver that many post secondary schools seek out high-achieving Hispanic students.

I'm replying to you as someone who has experienced racism as a young child on Long Island -- and wouldn't wish it upon anyone else. Hispanic slurs, having gates shut in my face to keep me out, cops at my house because my Hispanic mother was being harassed by a neighbor. Today, that person would be locked up for hate crimes. (Not saying I had it as hard as black people have, just that it has made me more sympathetic.)

I won't offer advice on race in the KP school district, merely advise you (from a property value perspective) to be careful where you look. There is a large train yard project proposed for the area on the west side of the Sunken Meadow (not KP) by Townline and Pulaski. It is for handling waste from a local incinerator. I would avoid any homes along Old Commack Rd in case noise and potential pollution from the train yard is an issue. Also, just down the road from KPHS is Winter Brothers commercial dumping facility (borders the KP Unique Area) which generates a lot of truck traffic along Old Northport Rd and Lawrence Rd.

Wishing you good luck in your search.

https://northportjournal.com/busines...-spur-proposal

Old 07-07-2023, 02:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,904 times
Quote:
All white students should mark "Hispanic". Play their game against them.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:01 AM

172 posts, read 119,540 times
I grew up in Kings Park 35+ years ago when it was 99% white. It's a great place to live but not with a permanent victim attitude. Don't go looking for a problem and you won't find one.

There are no Confederate flags in Kings Park -- now I live in south central Virginia and a rebel flag is never too far away (though it's more about history and heritage here).

Old 07-10-2023, 07:39 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,953,270 times
Some concerns (faux and otherwise) are thoroughly groundless.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:02 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
Not anymore they can't. See students for fair admissions V. Harvard College. The race card for college admissions is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island