Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,537 times

Advertisements

We are a young minority couple moving to Kings Park with 2 kids. What is Kings Park like? How are the schools? I see that it’s not very diverse which I don’t mind as long as the people are welcoming and friendly. Are residents friendly towards minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 02:44 AM

786 posts, read 484,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidngo View Post
We are a young minority couple moving to Kings Park with 2 kids. What is Kings Park like? How are the schools? I see that it’s not very diverse which I don’t mind as long as the people are welcoming and friendly. Are residents friendly towards minorities?
Not sure, but I suspect that your kids will have a safer upbringing compared to highly diverse areas. Funny enough, white folks have to ask themselves this same question nowadays when they move into a new area. Is it too diverse?

But then the question is, what really is diversity? The word has been hijacked by liberals. Is East New York in Brooklyn considered diverse? Not to me. It's all black. That means homogenous. Is Flushing, Queens diverse? Not to me. It's all Asian (literally). Much of the Bronx is just black/hispanic. Doesn't sound diverse to me yet "minorites" seem to be considered diverse for some reason.

Are there truly any diverse areas? An equal of similar amount of white/black/asian/hispanic/other? Not really.

But back to your questions. Is it safe for you to live in a place with too many white people? Yea. 30 years ago? Maybe not as much. Us white folk are tip toeing on egg shells in 2023. Highly doubt you'll have any problems. And if you get a "look," don't make a big deal about it. I get "looks" all the time in the hood. All the time.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:49 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
I don't understand these questions - what if you end up with the one person in town who is a crazy nutjob racist? No one can predict that. My sister lived next to the town nutjob in Huntington. Everyone in town knows him. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:56 PM

I only asked this question because I came to this site to look for posts about schools in the area then I read a couple of comments stating to stay away from kings park if you are a minority. This was unexpected and I wanted to learn more. I guess people can put their own fear and assumptions to others.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:02 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Kings Park has long been considered a good district and the area is a fine place to raise a family. To the extent that sort of thing is important to you.

I did see one post on Niche complaining that there were too many white people in the Kings Park schools. 80%. I think you’ll find that sort of complaint regarding racial composition (too white, too black, too Hispanic, too Asian…) about every district if you look hard enough.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 06-19-2023 at 03:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2023, 06:02 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
I only asked this question because I came to this site to look for posts about schools in the area then I read a couple of comments stating to stay away from kings park if you are a minority. This was unexpected and I wanted to learn more. I guess people can put their own fear and assumptions to others.
And again, you can hear from 100 people that THEIR Kings Park is a great place to live and no one is going to give you trouble, but if you move in next door to the one person whose house is decorated with the Confederate flag, you're kind of stuck? Most people even if they are racist are just gonna keep it to themselves, but if your neighbor is the one who doesn't they will make life very unpleasant. Unfortunately it is hard to weed these people out when you're looking at houses.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:08 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Are you able to check the community out for yourself? The thing is that when you do your own research, some places that you may be told to “stay away from”, may have what you are looking for in a neighborhood/community/school district, etc.

Also, as someone that can relate to your sentiments, I think it is important to ultimately do the work to know if a place is right for you.

Looking at some information, it looks like there is a decent Hispanic student population, with some Asians and a small black student population in the schools. Kings Park is also home to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, which adds a little a little bit of diversity to the community. https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000036858

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/co....asp?ID=197027

So, it may not be a big deal there and may be a matter of other factors.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:37 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you able to check the community out for yourself? The thing is that when you do your own research, some places that you may be told to “stay away from”, may have what you are looking for in a neighborhood/community/school district, etc.

Also, as someone that can relate to your sentiments, I think it is important to ultimately do the work to know if a place is right for you.

Looking at some information, it looks like there is a decent Hispanic student population, with some Asians and a small black student population in the schools. Kings Park is also home to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, which adds a little a little bit of diversity to the community. https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000036858

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/co....asp?ID=197027

So, it may not be a big deal there and may be a matter of other factors.
The Merchant Marine Academy is in KINGS POINT, not Kings Park.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 5,235 times
People are super concerned about neighbors keeping up the appearance of their house and yard. This means managing a ton of yard work (either doing it yourself or hiring a landscaper, as most do); not parking boats, trailers, and unused vehicles on your property (unless your space can accommodate these things in a way that makes them not visible to others); keeping all junk and garbage out of sight; and having a reasonable number of people living at the house — no extended family groups or renting to outsiders (who bring additional concerns like street parking). Many people are nervous about the arrival of “outsiders” (and certain racial minorities in particular) because there is a perception that they don’t attach a lot of value to the same things that matter most to existing residents. Everyone seems to know somebody with a neighbor who sells drugs out of the house, has regular visitors who look or act threatening in some way, or dumps garbage (stoves, old furniture, hefty bags, etc. on the lawn). Although the offending parties are just as often white, the stories with non-white offenders have a whole lot more staying power. That’s just how it is. People are also well aware that neighborhoods in decline are almost exclusively non-white, and this is quite threatening — the quality of life in the homestead, its retention of monetary value, and safety of family are paramount.

So yes, some people would be wary of your presence, especially at first, but if you establish that you plan to “play by the rules,” you should be fine.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:56 AM

I drove past the area a couple of weeks ago and I see all these things you mentioned in some parts and the neighborhood is predominantly white. The funny thing is that I was wondering if people took care of their homes there. I saw boats, trailers parked outside and overgrown lawns. I was wondering if there were a lot of renters. From my experience people tend to take care of the homes they live in and OWN regardless of race. Where we live now, our house along with other owners have the best curb appeal on the block. But, our area is dominated by renters and that is hit or miss how they take care of their home.

We all want the same things when moving to a better neighborhood to raise a family. But I am not naive to the fact that there are ignorance and negative perceptions associated with certain minority group. If it was just my husband and I moving, I would not care too much. But, we do have two young children and there is slight concern about the impact of such perceptions on them.

If residents concern about outsiders moving in is only about how well kept their property will be then there’s no problem because I share the same sentiment. But if there are deep rooted hatred of certain ethnic groups shared by many residents then life might be miserable.

Last edited by Candidngo; 06-19-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island