Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I have solar on my roof. My advise...don't. You still have to pay the service fees. I paid $40T for my system. My electric company will only let me save a year of kwhs, so they took hundreds of dollars of energy from me. Energy that I needed for the winter for my horse waterers and heaters to keep my chickens warm. I was told the panels last about ten years and are expensive to dispose of.

If you decide to install a system just make sure you get an established company and get a battery backup so you can bank your excess kwhs. I would go totally off the grid if I could. Also, have a good warranty in writing.
The service fees are nothing though like 20 bucks a month. I’m Still paying over 100 Less a month than I did before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 08:41 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,526 times
Would like feedback from someone that have had solar for 10+ years. I know solar is great the first few years.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Would like feedback from someone that have had solar for 10+ years. I know solar is great the first few years.
Solar panels can last for decades although they lose efficiency over time. So yeah you won't get the same production in 20 years (ive read they are typically at about 80% then) but you will still get significant production.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:27 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
My electric bill is roughly $2,100 a year for a 2600 sq ft home. Even if the Solar system eliminates my electric bill, with a $20,000 out of pocket install it will take 9.5 years to break even. I would rather take that $20,000 and invest it at 5% annual return and have $32,000 in 9.5 years.

Plus, my roof, while in good shape is 23 years old. For me, I don't think it makes sense.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
My electric bill is roughly $2,100 a year for a 2600 sq ft home. Even if the Solar system eliminates my electric bill, with a $20,000 out of pocket install it will take 9.5 years to break even. I would rather take that $20,000 and invest it at 5% annual return and have $32,000 in 9.5 years.

Plus, my roof, while in good shape is 23 years old. For me, I don't think it makes sense.
Your electric bill is pretty low to begin with. 175 a month is nothing Solar is def not for everyone and if the math dosent work in your favor don’t do it.

Just FYI as for the roof, anything that is in relation to the solar install is subject to to the 30% tax credit so you can actually save money on a new roof by rolling it into the install.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:35 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Waste of money & a scam.
Solar is great if you buy and install the system yourself and are completely off the grid.
You run the house on a battery bank with a power inverter. The panels keep the batteries charged. But that’s all basically illegal on LI. They will not allow you to be energy independent.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Waste of money & a scam.
Solar is great if you buy and install the system yourself and are completely off the grid.
You run the house on a battery bank with a power inverter. The panels keep the batteries charged. But that’s all basically illegal on LI. They will not allow you to be energy independent.
Having a battery backup on LI makes no sense unless you really want it for power outages. They still have 20 years of net metering. So the utility acts as your power bank. I pull from the grid everyday at night. I never have to pay as my credits just keep accumulating and rolling over. Ex last months bill I was negative 137kw/h they subtracted that from my credit bank and I paid $17 for the connections fees and maybe 20c in taxes and fees. The 20 year deal will probably end this year but if you have it you’re grandfathered in.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Having a battery backup on LI makes no sense unless you really want it for power outages. They still have 20 years of net metering. So the utility acts as your power bank. I pull from the grid everyday at night. I never have to pay as my credits just keep accumulating and rolling over. Ex last months bill I was negative 137kw/h they subtracted that from my credit bank and I paid $17 for the connections fees and maybe 20c in taxes and fees. The 20 year deal will probably end this year but if you have it you’re grandfathered in.

Yep exactly. It’s not a scam whatsoever if the numbers work for you.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:41 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Sorry. Scam. My son was a solar salesman. I got the skinny on the whole deal.
When you factor in the materials and cost to install and such, you aint savin’ ****.

Old 02-11-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sorry. Scam. My son was a solar salesman. I got the skinny on the whole deal.
When you factor in the materials and cost to install and such, you aint savin’ ****.
Sorry. Math is math. I’m absolutely saving money (yes material costs are factored in, as well as the ton of money I got federal and state). It’s not rocket science. I know you irrationally hate solar for some reason so it’s pointless to even try to convince you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island