Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 06:52 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sorry. Math is math. I’m absolutely saving money (yes material costs are factored in, as well as the ton of money I got federal and state). It’s not rocket science. I know you irrationally hate solar for some reason so it’s pointless to even try to convince you.
Nope. Love solar. Just not the way it’s scammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 10:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nope. Love solar. Just not the way it’s scammed.
Leasing is a scam. If you buy the system and get all the tax credits it’s not. Many solar companies are scam artists. There are a few decent ones. My view was if I can break even in under 6 years and the payments are less than electric bill it makes sense.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Leasing is a scam. If you buy the system and get all the tax credits it’s not. Many solar companies are scam artists. There are a few decent ones. My view was if I can break even in under 6 years and the payments are less than electric bill it makes sense.
Exactly. Anything in sales can have scammers, from stock brokers to car dealers, that dosent mean the business as a whole is a scam.

And agree on leasing you are pretty much just swapping one utility for another.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:03 AM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:

Its not just leasing but also pricing. Other users around the world are shocked we pay 4x the price in solar installed. The irony is we tell everyone how great of a price it is installed.

Old 02-12-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Its not just leasing but also pricing. Other users around the world are shocked we pay 4x the price in solar installed. The irony is we tell everyone how great of a price it is installed.
I did extensive research on solar got tons of quotes. I agree the prices are insane. I said it earlier in this thread. I went with Tesla energy formerly solar city. There is a sacrifice in customer service over a local company. For 10k less than everyone it was worth it to me.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Would like feedback from someone that have had solar for 10+ years. I know solar is great the first few years.
I have had my system for 10 years. They do lose power over time. I have noticed a decease in efficiency. Again, just make sure you have a reputable company that has been in service a long time. I would look for a local company.

Look at the figures....how much money will you save if you purchase the system, taking in the fact that you will have to pay for the basic charges. And figure in the fact that the panels will have to be replaced at some point, and the cost of that.

I paid a lot for my system because at the time, the larger system was necessary. It isn't anymore and I'm giving away half of my power to neighbors or my electric company confiscates it and resells it for their profit. That's why my advise is to get a battery backup.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
My electric bill is roughly $2,100 a year for a 2600 sq ft home. Even if the Solar system eliminates my electric bill, with a $20,000 out of pocket install it will take 9.5 years to break even. I would rather take that $20,000 and invest it at 5% annual return and have $32,000 in 9.5 years.

Plus, my roof, while in good shape is 23 years old. For me, I don't think it makes sense.
That is something people don't take into account...if the roof needs repair or replacement. You are going to have to find someone to take the panels down and put them back on. Good luck with that. I have a leak in one of my skylights. I have a metal roof and if I don't want a seam in the middle of my roof, I will have to take down a large portion of the solar system. There is a lot to think about.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I did extensive research on solar got tons of quotes. I agree the prices are insane. I said it earlier in this thread. I went with Tesla energy formerly solar city. There is a sacrifice in customer service over a local company. For 10k less than everyone it was worth it to me.
My company, which went bankrupt told me that I should have my system serviced twice a year, which would cost $750.00 just to come to my property, before servicing. When I proved to them that I had a ten year service plan (I had problems with the system), they sent a third party to check it out and never paid them.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
That is something people don't take into account...if the roof needs repair or replacement. You are going to have to find someone to take the panels down and put them back on. Good luck with that. I have a leak in one of my skylights. I have a metal roof and if I don't want a seam in the middle of my roof, I will have to take down a large portion of the solar system. There is a lot to think about.
If you get solar and need a new roof the new roof qualifies for the the 30% tax credit as it’s part of the solar install.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:41 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
My company, which went bankrupt told me that I should have my system serviced twice a year, which would cost $750.00 just to come to my property, before servicing. When I proved to them that I had a ten year service plan (I had problems with the system), they sent a third party to check it out and never paid them.
Service your solar? lol and do what exactly? Change the oil? Crazy. In some really arid dusty climates like Arizona (where it seldom rains) you may need to get panels cleaned occasionally but not here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island