Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times

Advertisements

Is it a national past time? Really...is it? It's not just here on LI. Reading through threads in the City-Data-Forums in other states such as North Carolina, Colorado, California....I see the same exact thing going on. What's funny is all these people keep pointing fingers elsewhere not realizing that when you point your finger you have three pointing back at you. I'm wondering if it's gotten worse or has it always been this bad. Seems worse to me than decades ago but then again I am older and take more notice of such things.
And with all the kvetching, how many of these people actually do anything to make our society a better place to be?
I hope this thread doesn't sound like I'm complaining I'm just wondering if people take notice of all the good that's around us...in spite of our problems.

Last edited by andybuildz; 06-29-2008 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: cause I always wanted to be an editor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
I often wonder the same viewing posts and threads in all 50...

Relocation in particular, people often place far too large a burden on the new location to blanket solve all their present problems. Statements such as "I can't wait to leave here/get there"...."I have the days counted/ big calendar with black magic marker X-ing down the days".....etc.

Relocating is certainly an adventure to be anticipated when it is voluntary and self planned....but one must not throw their entire identity into the move, and focus more on more of a calm level headed game plan to make the most of it...

There's the story of the farmer who is questioned by the out of towner

The person asks the farmer what the people in the community are like, the farmer asks "what are they like where you are now".....?

Whatever their answer is, the farmer replies "That's pretty much what they are like here"

Old 06-29-2008, 11:13 AM

Nice post ShouldI! I think there's a fine line people need to pay attention to. With every complaint a person has...they should spend as much time adding to the good that's around them. It's awfully easy to find all the faults. There's much here on this sandbar of LI I really don't like but there's plenty that I do, such as next to no natural disasters like we see all over the countries with wild fires, tornado's, hurricanes..etc. Compared to that our high taxes aren't really all that bad.

I think it's how you view yourself...the way you view the world. It really does start within.

It's also funny how our moods can swing like the weather no matter how in control you think you are. One incident triggers another that you never would have imagined. Once we as individuals recognize that, the easier it might be to react to our feelings in a more rational way.
It's amazing how one tiny incident can put you in such a horrible mood but when you think about simple things that create reactions in our moods and behavior you also need to recogize what doing things like simply smiling at someone does.

One thing that shows a lot of bad behavior I believe is politics and politicians are "supposed to be" an example of what we stand for as a united people.
For the most part I think people are good and want good...maybe that's part of the reason the word CHANGE has so much more signifigance now than it might have in the past......although I wonder what that word actually means to some people.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,927 times
oh Andy....stop whining about me complaining and let me iron your shirt for you

Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 47,003 times
Default gratitude remedies complaints

I wondered the same thing - I found this site through a google search on apartments- seems to reflect part of society perhaps.

I think the site can be helpful as a research tool, but I think the old fashioned way of travelling and taking to people in person is better.

I have lived in 2 states and would never make a move based on opinions in a forum, but as it is said "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Same applies to cities/neighborhoods.

Gratitude turns complaining into appreciation.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
oh Andy....stop whining about me complaining and let me iron your shirt for you

WOW..Gigi...that might be the problem after all. I can't remember the last time i had a shirt ironed...

Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
It's true that it seams that everyone is whining but go back to when Clinton was president...housing market was much more stable,gas under $1.,good trade with other countries and the list goes on. The simple fact is in todays economy tons of people are struggling and think that it's greener on the other side. Relocating can be beneficial considering the economy but the problem is also relations with each other. As someone born in NYC in 1971 I saw people in the city always trying to be nice each other and everyone knew one anothers name or got to know it...nowadays everyone wants to be left alone,and wanting to kill everyone on their drives home. The attitudes of kids today especially are standoffish,and lazy,and the cliques are growing worse. We have become our own worst enemy and it shows in our foreign relations and perception of us around the world. If you visit other countries as I do occasionally you'll realize that many countries were jealous of us for years and now we're the laughing stock of the world. Moderator cut: ..

Last edited by Keeper; 06-29-2008 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Don't hijack the thread please

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
It's b/c people in this country are spoiled and have a warped sense of what they are "entitled" to. Of they can't get it or it's not "perfect" than its terrible. Also, I have found that the anonymity of the internet breeds nasty, typically negative comments b/c there is no accountability. People are attracted to this to whine or to simply egg others on. It's the general nature of the internet, I would say.

Like I've always said...keep that in mind and read everything judiciously.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
It's b/c people in this country are spoiled and have a warped sense of what they are "entitled" to. Of they can't get it or it's not "perfect" than its terrible. Also, I have found that the anonymity of the internet breeds nasty, typically negative comments b/c there is no accountability. People are attracted to this to whine or to simply egg others on. It's the general nature of the internet, I would say.

Like I've always said...keep that in mind and read everything judiciously.
Agree 100%...especially the internet part. Makes even a coward into a warrior. Too many people pose questions that only can be answered with basically "GOTCHA" answers....rather than "lets try and figure this out together" answers.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,927 times
well I know who I am...as this is my real name.......and I'm accountable for everything I say.

who are you? and you? and you? and you? and you? and you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: