Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:16 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with your reading of the Babylon code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
I called the town and they said there is no such thing as a legal basement apartment, regardless. They said accessory apartments are either first or second floors, not basements or converted garages.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
But, basements in , say, a high ranch are not really cellar-like basements and those are legal . And, that being said, there are plenty of carved up houses, hidden backyard and basement apartments all over the town of Babylon.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-11-2008 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 PM

But those high ranch "basements" are totally on ground level... they're not underground at all.
Of course, there are a ton of illegal apartments, basement apartments, garage apartments, etc all over Babylon.... the only way the town can bust the landlords is for people to provide the town with information about the illegal apartments. If the town could collect the back taxes on all (or even half!) of the illegal apartments in the Town of Babylon, the town would have a MAJOR surplus and maybe do some great things for the people who live here.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Oh, I absolutely agree. My friend and I took a walk last night in Babylon Village and there are streets where almost every fourth house is either carved up into apartments or has a secret house in back (these are old homes so they may have once been detached garages) . I can not imagine that the village itself , though, as proactive as they are about collecting their taxes let's this one go by.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 AM

153 posts, read 380,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree. My friend and I took a walk last night in Babylon Village and there are streets where almost every fourth house is either carved up into apartments or has a secret house in back (these are old homes so they may have once been detached garages) . I can not imagine that the village itself , though, as proactive as they are about collecting their taxes let's this one go by.
Wow that is alot, I have not noticed this, then again, I have not been looking. Are some towns or villages better than others about policing this type of thing? I imagine changing direction and clamping down on these apartment would be difficult at best. There would be a groundswell from the people owing the illegally subdivided homes.

I'm not terribly concerned about it. If these homes are split up to support multi generational families (as my neighbors house is), no big deal. Also if a 1 br appartment is split off to make ends meet for the homeowner it's not a huge deal for me either. If the homeowner lives in the same building I'm sure care will be taken to preserve quality of life around the house.

I know this is not a new phenomenon on the island would you say it's growing with more and more homes being carved up?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 AM

The place where I live is zoned as a 1 family and the slumlord has it carved up into a 4 family..... yes, four stoves, four kitchen sinks... the whole shebang. One time, the town tried to inspect and he wouldn't let them in. The town is well aware of it, but they're not doing anything about it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
The place where I live is zoned as a 1 family and the slumlord has it carved up into a 4 family..... yes, four stoves, four kitchen sinks... the whole shebang. One time, the town tried to inspect and he wouldn't let them in. The town is well aware of it, but they're not doing anything about it.
Officials can only enter during a police or medical call for 911.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Wow that is alot, I have not noticed this, then again, I have not been looking. Are some towns or villages better than others about policing this type of thing? I imagine changing direction and clamping down on these apartment would be difficult at best. There would be a groundswell from the people owing the illegally subdivided homes.

I'm not terribly concerned about it. If these homes are split up to support multi generational families (as my neighbors house is), no big deal. Also if a 1 br appartment is split off to make ends meet for the homeowner it's not a huge deal for me either. If the homeowner lives in the same building I'm sure care will be taken to preserve quality of life around the house.

I know this is not a new phenomenon on the island would you say it's growing with more and more homes being carved up?

Well The Town of Riverhead website encourages people to call in about these apartments on their home page. Some do care more than others.

Yes, in certain areas of LI, carving up homes is getting worse.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Officials can only enter during a police or medical call for 911.
That's not true... if someone signs an affidavit stating the premises is illegally converted from a 1 family into a 4 family (and, of course, the person would have to have solid proof), then the Town Inspectors can get a warrant and enter the premises, whether the slumlord likes it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island