Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:10 AM

61 posts, read 398,371 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think of West Hempstead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house2008 View Post
Is any of these neighborhoods ...

When crossing eastward from the NYC Borough of Queens into Nassau County, it is important to understand the different geographic terminology: Nassau County includes 2 cities and 3 towns, and the 3 towns include 64 villages and 70 hamlets, for a total of 136 communities (2 cities+ 64 villages + 70 hamlets), and each of these 136 communities include 3 to 5 (or more) neighborhoods, for a total of to 408 to 680 (or more) neighborhoods.

You may find the following two links helpful to you in understanding the geography of Nassau (and Suffolk) County:

For the New York State definition of city, town, village, hamlet, etc., etc.: NYS Geographic Glossary

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

131 posts, read 610,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house2008 View Post
Is any of these neighborhoods any good to buy a house in. would you buy a house in any of these neighborhoods?

Hempstead
Farmingdale
Freeport
Roosevelt
UnionDale
Elmont

i've already heard bad stuff about hempstead, so i guess that's off the list.
Farmingdale should not be on that list. Farmingdale is a pretty nice town. I have friends that live there and I know the town well. North Massapequa is zoned for Farmingdale schools and these areas of North Massapequa hold their property values pretty well. Yes, there are some day laborers that do loiter in areas of Farmingdale but overall the town is very nice.

One great thing about Farmingdale is that they have a free PRE K program and full day kindergarten. There's also a nice mix of cultures there.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:09 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Very good points. I'm not even sure what the 'dodgy' section of Farmingdale is supposed to be, though. I sometimes see a group of Mexicans standing on Hempstead Turnpike in front of some gas station....so I'm assuming that's what people mean when they talk about it. Another time somebody on here told me the apartments near the LIRR station are a dead ringer for Compton, but I haven't experienced that myself. Main Street is great, I used to go to the Downtown all the time before it closed, still go to the bars occasionally and somtimes hit that old-style burger joint south of the turnpike. Great food!
IMO people just love to bash Farmingdale, usually without good reason and occasionally with little to no first hand knowledge.

Yep, it's true there is an immigrant population that is centered near the train station and they do hang out around the gas station and a few other stores on Conklin near the church. This population has actually shrunk somewhat since the shut down of the Secatogue apartments. But, those few blocks I guess do have a bit of a "dodgy" feel to it. I certainly would not allow my kids to hang out around there, although I have walked through there and have never felt threatened in any way, even at night. There is also a portion of East Farmingdale, I guess the southeast part that one might describe as a bit "dodgy".

The rest of Farmingdale is IMO absolutely no issue at all. Generally, great people, cool little downtown. By the way sean sean sean sean, The Downtown is now a Croxley Ale House, awesome wings and beer. If you like Thai food try Tiny Tai across the street. Old style burger joint, do you mean Bollingers on Main? If so, I prefer to head a bit further south to Terry G's, a good notch or two up in price but really excellent and underrated food. Of course, The Inn on Main is a nice spot as well, along with a number of other establishments in town.

Anywho, back to my rant..
I guess people think F'dale and they think route 110, or illegals, without realizing how much there actually is to F'dale. A few earlier posts were surprised that the area around Bethpage State Park was F'dale, until someone described it as Lenox Hills part of the Village of Farmingdale. The Hills is a wonderful area and there is also an "Old Lenox Hills", referring more to the sections closer to town that is also a wonderful area. Both of those areas along with several others in F'dale often see some homes in the million $ and plus range. Other nice areas include South Farmingdale, Woodward, West Farmingdale, North Farmingdale, and a bunch of other unofficial neighborhoods that you won't find on a map. Overall, I think the nice areas of Farmingdale outnumber the "dodgy" by about 20 to 1. As far as Bethpage State Park, home of the 2009 US Open, if you want to go there, or if you want to communicate with them, then you have to do it in Farmingdale since the address is 99 Quaker Meeting House Road, Farmingdale, NY. Sorry Eagles, it's Daler country.

Bottom line is all of you who quickly write off F'dale because of what you heard should really take a first hand look. It's most likely not what you think it is. Hey, I've heard that parts of Syosset are "dodgy", should everyone stay away from Syosset? Of course not.

Thanks to those who "stuck up" for F'dale, one consistent I noticed is that all the pro F'dale people actually have spent some time there.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
Farmingdale should not be on that list. Farmingdale is a pretty nice town. I have friends that live there and I know the town well. North Massapequa is zoned for Farmingdale schools and these areas of North Massapequa hold their property values pretty well. Yes, there are some day laborers that do loiter in areas of Farmingdale but overall the town is very nice.

One great thing about Farmingdale is that they have a free PRE K program and full day kindergarten. There's also a nice mix of cultures there.
Once again, from people with first hand experience come the positives! No surprise there.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
By the way sean sean sean sean, The Downtown is now a Croxley Ale House, awesome wings and beer. If you like Thai food try Tiny Tai across the street. Old style burger joint, do you mean Bollingers on Main? If so, I prefer to head a bit further south to Terry G's, a good notch or two up in price but really excellent and underrated food. Of course, The Inn on Main is a nice spot as well, along with a number of other establishments in town.
Yes, Bollingers! I couldn't think of the name. I'll have to try Terry G's next time I'm over there. I guess it's been awhile because I didn't know The Downtown was no longer vacant.

I completely agree with everything else you said. I would recommend Farmingdale to anybody. That area by the train station is so tiny you'd miss it if you blinked and in reality isn't all that bad anyway. I've never heard of any bad stuff going down there - not saying it hasn't, I've just never heard any reports. I guess there wasn't anything that ridiculous said in this thread, but some others are a real head scratcher to me. I wonder if a lot of people simply confuse Farmingdale and Farmingville....

Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Yeah I'm sorry I misjudged Farmingdale. Closing down those apts was a start, despite all the "uproar" from News 12 and Newsday which love illegals.
There are nice parts of Farmingdale, just like there are nice parts of Westbury. One can only hope the bad parts will shrink in good time.
Like Westbury, Farmingdale covers alot of neighborhoods, and is actually in 2 counties.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max7418 View Post
My wife and I recently bought a house in farmingdale off melville road. This area goes to Half Hollow school district. This was a major reason why we bought here although we would have preferred melville or dix hills instead. My wife grew up in the neighborhood off conklin and went to farmingdale schools. There is a definite difference between this area and where we live now. Her and I would not buy a house where she grew up and her mother was very happy to sell it in 2002.
I hadn't been down through that section in years, but I do remember the Melville Rd area being quite pretty plus woods near the SUNY campus there.
Unfortunately since I am not in that area much, I often just see it from the train station and I guess I got a bad impression.
Conklin I know has issues, thats where I saw alot of the day laborers, more toward route 110.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Other nice areas include South Farmingdale, Woodward, West Farmingdale, North Farmingdale, and a bunch of other unofficial neighborhoods that you won't find on a map.

According to the Long Island Regional Planning Commission, there is the Village of Farmingdale and the Hamlet of South Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County, as well as part of the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County that is partly in the "Farmingdale, NY 11735" ZIP Code postal zone. There is no village nor hamlet of either West Farmingdale or North Farmingdale, so I'm guessing that these latter two areas are neighborhoods in the Village of Farmingdale.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Like Westbury, Farmingdale covers alot of neighborhoods, and is actually in 2 counties.

Actually, the Village of Farmingdale like the Village of Westbury, where the majority of places with a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address are not in Westbury, is also a community where the majority of places with a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address are not in Farmingdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island