Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM

97 posts, read 98,094 times

Advertisements

You know you're from Long Island when people who are priced out of your area make it their personal mission to post on Internet forums how great their new suburban paradise is, all while being preoccupied with anything related to LI.

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, hey hey heyyy, goodbye!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Looking for ANY reason???? That's just one reason!
Sounds like OhBeeHave has been drinking too much LI water/kool aid!
Whatever you say, Stuart Smalley.

Stuart Smalley's famous quote - YouTube

Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You know you're from LI when you have to read posts from disgruntled soon-to-be former LIers looking for any reason to justify their departure.

Best of luck on your move down south.
You are from LI when don't feel like driving more than 50 miles cause you know you will have to drive through NYC.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You are from LI when don't feel like driving more than 50 miles cause you know you will have to drive through NYC.
You know you're from LI when you realize this statement is hogwash.

I head upstate and to New England without driving through NYC. I could also head south without going through NYC.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Unless I am driving East to the Hamptons (around 60 miles), Montauk (over 80 miles), the North Fork or hopefully the city - because it is less than 50 miles. Of course I could take a ferry from Orient Point or Port Jeff to Connecticut too.

See you next Tuesday

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You know you're from LI when you realize this statement is hogwash.

I head upstate and to New England without driving through NYC. I could also head south without going through NYC.
You got me. I am not from LI counties however technically Brooklyn is located on Long Island, too.
How would you drive south w/o driving through NYC though?

Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You got me. I am not from LI counties however technically Brooklyn is located on Long Island, too.
How would you drive south w/o driving through NYC though?
Same way I head north -- Port Jefferson ferry to Bridgeport CT. It isn't the best option for heading south, but it is an alternative for leaving LI and not hitting NYC.

FWIW I drive into NYC to head south: Suffolk to Nassau to Queens to Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bronx to the Geo Wash bridge to NJ.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Same way I head north -- Port Jefferson ferry to Bridgeport CT. It isn't the best option for heading south, but it is an alternative for leaving LI and not hitting NYC.

FWIW I drive into NYC to head south: Suffolk to Nassau to Queens to Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bronx to the Geo Wash bridge to NJ.
Seems like a waste of time to me I'd go Belt to Verrazzano to Goethals, gets you south faster. I know LI pretty well, Montauk and Jones Beach being my favorite spots but never took the ferry. How long is the ride and how much is it?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Seems like a waste of time to me I'd go Belt to Verrazzano to Goethals, gets you south faster. I know LI pretty well, Montauk and Jones Beach being my favorite spots but never took the ferry. How long is the ride and how much is it?
I live minutes from the Port Jeff Ferry. It is a 75 min ride letting you out in Bridgeport. $51 car and driver. It costs me $25 in fuel and tolls just to get to the Bronx, not figuring in wear and tear, time spent in traffic. To drive around to Bridgeport it is about $34 and 90 - 120 mins. Not that I use it to drive south, last time I drove south was a year ago and we used the Triboro up and around to the GWB which was the most direct route for the area in NJ we were headed to. Full disclosure: I have almost no reason to travel south. Everything I do is based here and in New England.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I live minutes from the Port Jeff Ferry. It is a 75 min ride letting you out in Bridgeport. $51 car and driver. It costs me $25 in fuel and tolls just to get to the Bronx, not figuring in wear and tear, time spent in traffic. To drive around to Bridgeport it is about $34 and 90 - 120 mins. Not that I use it to drive south, last time I drove south was a year ago and we used the Triboro up and around to the GWB which was the most direct route for the area in NJ we were headed to. Full disclosure: I have almost no reason to travel south. Everything I do is based here and in New England.
I misunderstood, I thought that by going south you meant south of NYC.
Atalntic City is south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island