Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 27,305 times

Advertisements

Wow! I remember Village Pizza in the '70s. Love, love, loved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Wow you guys brought back some great memories. As a kid I loved getting my burger from the train. And Village Pizza was great. Haven't been to that area in years. I'm sure everything has changed.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 24,601 times
Thumbs up Best Burgers

I used to go to Hambuger Coo Coo back in the 70's. My parents used to go there when they were younger. They had the best burgers anywere around. They use to take the meat out of a cooler and it was rolled into a ball. Then they would put it on the griddle and flatten it out. The burgers were loose and juicy. If you ordered onion rings the cook would take out an onion cut it into rings and dip it in the batter while you watched. This place was the best. At lunch time there would be a line to get into the joint! Till this day when I make burgers I still do it the Hamburger Coo Coo way and I tell my friends about this place all the time. Good memories I'm originally from Farmingdale and we use to go up to Huntington to hang out.

Last edited by bigrigol23; 01-15-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 22,957 times
I don't think so - unless the company that purchased Finnegan's Pub and Tap Room in Huntington also opened other locations. Although the Finnegan family had a lot of children two generations ago, they did not have large families, and only two had sons carried on the Finnegan name. I do know Uncle Bill's son and family are still on LI. However, my ex-husband and kids are in Orange County, Calif.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,440 times
Smile Hamburger Choo-choo

Yes, the Hamburger Choo-choo, which I went to in the late 50's/early 60's. I heard that it was there under various ownerships until the late 90's. I am actually exploring opening a more technically advanced, but similarly themed, version food restaurant in Massachusetts. There is another thread with more info on this site.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,440 times
Default Hamburger Choo Choo

Amazed to find this thread of recollections of my childhood favorite restaurant, the Hamburger Choo Choo. I still remember seeing my hamburger and/or milkshake coming round the bend in the counter at the Hambruger Choo Choo. I lived in neighboring Syosset, but always insisted on going to the Hamburger Choo Choo in Huntington. I worked briefly in corporate and operating positions at Burlington Northern Railroad, and then went on to a 25+ year career as a consultant in the railroad industry, advising the US govt, foreign govts, US transit authorities and railroads around the globe on operations, safety, technology, etc.

I am currently involved in trying to launch a technically more advanced, but similarly themed, food restaurant, with the first location in New England, where I currently live.

Anyone with good recall on what worked and what didn't work at the Hamburger Choo Choo, please reply. Your comments would be much appreciated.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Hey George, my father owned Toy Town / Sports Town right across the street. I have many many fond memories your dad's store. I remember Joe, who was Haiti and used to flip burgers. I had already moved out of Huntington when the Choo Choo burned down. It was so sad to hear about it..

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
I was just telling my 6 year old son how when I was a young boy, my mom would take me out to Long Island to visit my grandfather in a nursing home in Huntington shortly before his death, and we would stop on the way back at Hamburger Choo Choo. In my eyes at that time, and in my memories of it, it was the coolest place I had or have ever eaten at. I only went there a few times but the memories of it are indelible. It really tempered the sadness of my grandpa's decline. I only wish it still existed so that I could share it with my son...

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
OMG I loved that place. I so wish it was still there, my boys would LOVE it. I think it's Cugini East now (offshoot of a place in Mineola).

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,576 times
That place was the best!! wish it was still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island