Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 PM

87 posts, read 643,106 times

Advertisements

Dumb question, but when people talk about Long Island, what are they talking about? Is it NYC? The suburbs? Or ?

Someone please clue me in. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Well, officially the island of "Long Island" starts in Brooklyn by the Brooklyn Bridge across Manhattan and goes all the way to Montauk in the other end, at the edge of America!

Wikipedia says Long Island is the largest island in the contiguous states, and the most populated in the whole United States as well.

But when people discuss Long Island here, I believe they mostly refer to the suburban, middle-class area between New York City and the more country-like and expensive land of The Hamptons in the east.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,645 times
I'd refine that just a tad further, and say that when most (90% or more) people refer to Long Island they mean only Nassau County and Suffolk County.

If you define it as being between NYC (Manhattan) and Montauk/Orient (the two easternmost points), then that would include Queens County which is geographically Long Island (the head of the fish, so to speak) but at the same time is also one of the five boroughs of New York City. Thus, if you're including Queens as part of NYC in saying 'between NYC and...', then Manhattan-ite is entirely accurate.

In local parlance and usage, it's only Nassau and Suffolk County residents who are considered, and consider themselves, "Long Islanders".

Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 AM

40 posts, read 207,854 times
Geographically speaking, Manhattan-ite's description fits.

Politically, OvertaxedOnLI nails it.

Financially, you really don't want to know!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
Long Island is comprised of four counties; Kings, Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk. Two of the counties (Kings and Queens) are part of NYC.

Nonetheless, Long Island is one land mass.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
It's Nassau and Suffolk (including the "East End" of the Hamptons and North Fork).

For real estate purposes, some might wrap eastern Queens in there b/c east of Forest Hills is pretty suburban (similar to a lof of Nassau areas).

Nassau country is in between Queens and Suffolk. Nassau has about 1.3M people and 286 sq. miles. It includes places like Jones Beach. Suffolk County has about 1.5M people, but it is about 912 sq. miles. Much less dense and commercial, even still have many semi-rural types of areas.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 19,559 times
People from Queens say they are from Queens.......Everyone east of Queens say they are from Long Island..........If you are from anywhere east of Patchogue.....You are from the East end.........

Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,758 times

Hi I think I might be able to answer his question - Long Island consists of individual cities/towns within the counties.

I worked at a AAA type of company that sent out tow trucks, or people to help when you were stuck somewhere (before Blue Star) and was astounded that they had to explain that if someone called and told you they were stuck on Long Island, that they needed to tell you the town they were in because it wasn't just one place. I told them that I was from Long Island and no one there is really that stupid - they would not tell you they were "in Long Island"

Just another reason to be unhappy in Nebraska

Old 10-13-2007, 07:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Dumb question, but when people talk about Long Island, what are they talking about? Is it NYC? The suburbs? Or ?

Someone please clue me in. Thanks
99% of the time when someone says "Long Island" they mean Nassau and Suffolk counties.

But as other people said, geographically "Long Island" is Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau & Suffolk.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Newsday covers Queens/Nassau/Suffolk.

There are parts of Queens that I'd consider to be LI.

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island