Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm against tipping in general. I think its a terrible practice.

Garbage men get paid decently for the service they provide. Same with mail people. Newspaper delivery I can understand.

How about a Dr? accountant? sales rep? lawyer? starbucks barista? do they work for a living?

my feeling is if someone is consistantly going out of the way to help you above and beyond for example a doorman or maintance person, they should get a holiday gift, but I feel like it shouldn't be obligated. if 90% of the people are tipping these people, how can all of them be doing that good of a job? its just not true. Now you have everyone expecting a hand out.
I have never tipped the garbage men before. However - 4-5 times this year I put out about 15 bags filled with home improvement demo stuff, that REALLY should have gone in a dumpster or been taken away with a "special pickup", so I'd like to give something this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post

People there tip the mail man, the UPS guy, the FedEx guy, and the garbage men. My Dad always tipped the garbage men, but I never even thought to give the delivery men a tip! Its not like they do extraordinary service either.
No to UPS and FedEx. Maybe if I had a lot of deliveries, but I'm not impressed with either one of them when it comes to the occasional service they provide...

I get a lot of mail at home (also have home based business) and my oversized mailbox gets a workout . But mail carriers aren't supposed to accept cash, only a small "token" gift with a value of no more than about $20 (don't remember the exact amount). Last year I handed him a bottle and he was very happy .

This year I was "cleaning out" and trash pick-up never let me down, so I'll give the garbage men a tip. Besides, I have lots of big oak trees, they're forever picking up leaf bags (still have more to do ).
Just be aware, this time of year, there are people who look at garbage cans in the wee hours of the morning on pick-up day, to see if the homeowners left an envelope on top (even lift up the cover to see if it's taped to the top on the inside!!). So if you want to give a tip, either hand it to them or get an address (mine actually leave a card with a mailing address ).

Old 12-18-2008, 03:04 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Default I believe in tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have never tipped the garbage men before. However - 4-5 times this year I put out about 15 bags filled with home improvement demo stuff, that REALLY should have gone in a dumpster or been taken away with a "special pickup", so I'd like to give something this year.
It's a way for the consumer to adjust the fee paid according to the service demanded/received.

I recall the restaurant service in London, where tipping isn't common. It stunk. On one memorable occasion, I went into a place - I was the only one in there. Yet, I had to wait for some ditzy bim to get finished Talking To Her Friend for 10 minutes.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I tip the cleaning girl and the Newsday delivery man. People who come all year deserve a thank you, I think.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,135 times
just remember to tip the windshield guy.... thats me. lol

no but really, i go to peoples homes and place of work to work on their car, while they sit inside doing whatever, and im out in the 20 degree or 100 degree weather. for someone like me, its very much appreciated to get a tip, instead of "oh man i dont know how you can do that out there, stay warm" while the person sticks their arm out the door to give a signature. man, if each one of my customers would only give me 5 bucks, i would be able to do real well off just tips lol

i think it depends on the service that is provided... services that make things very convenient for the customer should deserve tips.. things like home service that let you stay home instead of going out to get whatever product u need (food delivery, etc)

and one comment as for waiters... i pretty much always tip them, even if i dont think they did a great job.. at least a couple bucks.. only a handful of times did i give no tip, and that was because we waited forever for the initial contact and drinks, and felt like we were forgottten about after we got our food.. didnt bring or offer drink refills, etc.. i should become more stern with tipping waiters, since hey thats what they are really working for, and they should give good service if they want to get tipped.. i could go spend $12 at mcdonalds for 2 people for the same service ive gotten from some waiters/waitresses

Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default Mail Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
On another board I frequent, people are discussing holiday tipping.

People there tip the mail man, the UPS guy, the FedEx guy, and the garbage men. My Dad always tipped the garbage men, but I never even thought to give the delivery men a tip! Its not like they do extraordinary service either.

So, do you tip everyone listed? Or do you thuink it is ridiculous?
Mail delivery person should get something. That's my rule.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
just remember to tip the windshield guy.... thats me. lol

no but really, i go to peoples homes and place of work to work on their car, while they sit inside doing whatever, and im out in the 20 degree or 100 degree weather. for someone like me, its very much appreciated to get a tip, instead of "oh man i dont know how you can do that out there, stay warm" while the person sticks their arm out the door to give a signature. man, if each one of my customers would only give me 5 bucks, i would be able to do real well off just tips lol

i think it depends on the service that is provided... services that make things very convenient for the customer should deserve tips.. things like home service that let you stay home instead of going out to get whatever product u need (food delivery, etc)

and one comment as for waiters... i pretty much always tip them, even if i dont think they did a great job.. at least a couple bucks.. only a handful of times did i give no tip, and that was because we waited forever for the initial contact and drinks, and felt like we were forgottten about after we got our food.. didnt bring or offer drink refills, etc.. i should become more stern with tipping waiters, since hey thats what they are really working for, and they should give good service if they want to get tipped.. i could go spend $12 at mcdonalds for 2 people for the same service ive gotten from some waiters/waitresses
Wow, I'm in the same line of work, although not currently...never met anyone else that did it. We're a rare breed! I mostly worked dealerships and the wholesale lots out in Yaphank, but I've worked everywhere from Long Island City to Sag Harbor at every possible place in between. I love being on the road, meeting weird people, etc. The extreme weather sucks, but hey....you know it's sweet not having to answer to anyone most of the day. I was actually very close to starting my own business awhile back (I do upholstery and body work too), but decided against it because I "had a bad feeling"....now here we are in December and they're talking about bailouts for the big three and the whole world has gone topsy turvy, so I'm glad I hung on to that few grand.

PM me if your boss is hiring, I hate my job right now. Safelite? Suffolk Glass?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Wow, I'm in the same line of work, although not currently...never met anyone else that did it. We're a rare breed! I mostly worked dealerships and the wholesale lots out in Yaphank, but I've worked everywhere from Long Island City to Sag Harbor at every possible place in between. I love being on the road, meeting weird people, etc. The extreme weather sucks, but hey....you know it's sweet not having to answer to anyone most of the day. I was actually very close to starting my own business awhile back (I do upholstery and body work too), but decided against it because I "had a bad feeling"....now here we are in December and they're talking about bailouts for the big three and the whole world has gone topsy turvy, so I'm glad I hung on to that few grand.

PM me if your boss is hiring, I hate my job right now. Safelite? Suffolk Glass?
lol, im lucky to still have my job... they've been cutting back just about everywhere they can and have even laid some people off, for the first time in MANY years from what im told

but yea being on the road has its ups and downs for sure, and u see all kinds of stuff... one day i showed up at someones house that had been struck by lightening a few hours earlier

Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I recall the restaurant service in London, where tipping isn't common. It stunk. On one memorable occasion, I went into a place - I was the only one in there. Yet, I had to wait for some ditzy bim to get finished Talking To Her Friend for 10 minutes.
We do tip in restaurants unless the service is noticeably sub-par. We double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar, which ends up being somewhere between 17.25% and 18% of the food's total which I think is reasonable.

There have been occasions when the service was particularly abysmal and we left no tip. We also decided we'd never be going back to that restaurant again.

Btw, don't British and European restaurants automatically add a 17% gratuity onto all restaurant tabs? They used to do it all during the 70s, 80s, and 90s which is when I did a lot of travelling there.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Why doesn't anyone tip their real estate agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island