Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,578 times

Advertisements

OK well found out today that we're preggers. I have my prefered place to have the baby but I'd like to hear all options. I know LIJ and Stony Brook are OK. I've also heard Winthrop is ok. Also any good MD's??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
OK well found out today that we're preggers. I have my prefered place to have the baby but I'd like to hear all options. I know LIJ and Stony Brook are OK. I've also heard Winthrop is ok. Also any good MD's??
Congratulations

Both my daughters (and many of their friends) had their babies at Huntington Hospital and all were extremely satisfied, including those that had less than "normal" deliveries.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
I was born in a hospital.

It was pretty cool.

crooks

Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 AM

198 posts, read 779,373 times
I registered to specifically ask this question! .... So i second this question and i would like to add- what hospitals have private delivery rooms standard?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 AM

9 posts, read 91,179 times
We moved to Long Island from Manhattan a few months ago. You can see my thread about short term rentals. Finally settled in. Well the baby is here! We used Winthrop and I can say it was fantastic. Nurses were great! Delivery rooms were private - In fact I can't imagine a non private delivery room. I thought they were always private. Normal hospital rooms after delivery (but you can request a private) Hospital is "Level III" I think that is the term, so if there are complications they are prepared. My wife chose Winthrop because she felt it was smaller than LIJ or North Shore, yet was setup for all problems. Ask any questions you might have.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
I registered to specifically ask this question! .... So i second this question and i would like to add- what hospitals have private delivery rooms standard?

My wife was extremely happy with St Charles in Port Jeff.

crooks

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM

122 posts, read 390,926 times
Congratulations!

I was very happy with the exceptional care I received from the midwives at Stony Brook OB-GYN. If you are in central Suffolk and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy, I'd highly recommend them.

As for SB Hospital, I liked that every room at SB was private (but I didn't care so much for the shared bathrooms). One potential issue, though: SB cannot turn people away, so there might be a problem with volume. For instance, the day my daughter was born, St. Charles was filled to capacity, so their overflow of birthing mothers flooded SB's labor and delivery wing. It was so crowded that it was difficult to find a room. They took my baby to the nursery (which is on a different floor) and I wasn't brought up for four hours. From a mother-baby bonding perspective, that's just many kinds of wrong. If I'd had/been a strong advocate, then I probably could have fought that, but I wasn't in that kind of position.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
Congratulations!

I was very happy with the exceptional care I received from the midwives at Stony Brook OB-GYN. If you are in central Suffolk and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy, I'd highly recommend them.

As for SB Hospital, I liked that every room at SB was private (but I didn't care so much for the shared bathrooms). One potential issue, though: SB cannot turn people away, so there might be a problem with volume. For instance, the day my daughter was born, St. Charles was filled to capacity, so their overflow of birthing mothers flooded SB's labor and delivery wing. It was so crowded that it was difficult to find a room. They took my baby to the nursery (which is on a different floor) and I wasn't brought up for four hours. From a mother-baby bonding perspective, that's just many kinds of wrong. If I'd had/been a strong advocate, then I probably could have fought that, but I wasn't in that kind of position.

Good luck!
Stonybrook just completed a brand new wing for OB-GYN, its state of the art. Private everything. I was just there 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times
I had premature twins in Winthrop about 8 years ago-they got wonderful care. Congratulations!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 AM

187 posts, read 863,234 times
Both my kids were born at St Catherine's and we had a great experience both times.

I suppose you need to see what hospital takes your insurance. that will be the best place to have your baby..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island