Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM

61 posts, read 398,360 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Quick Q. I just moved to West hempstead and I was wondering if anyone knew what my best option would be as far as taking the LIRR. I called the Nassau BLVD station and and they said that I need a Garden City parking permit to park my car there which isn't good for me. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM

61 posts, read 398,360 times
Also

Does anyone know anything about the country life press station? It's located between St James St S & Chestnut St in Garden City.

Please help - thanks again

Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 26,353 times
Angry Garden City LIRR Parking

Just saw your post - this is one of my pet peeves. I live in GC South - not part of the Village which controls parking at all 5 LIRR stations in the area. I have asked inquired many times about getting a permit (current cost is $100/year) but the answer is always NO. They couldn't care if you had to walk on crutches in the snow to the train station - only GC residents area allowed to get a permit which is really aggravating as the people who live across the street from these stations can get a permit while those (like me) who haveno alternative but to walk 3/4 of a mile to/from the station every day cannot.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Garden City South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater812 View Post
Just saw your post - this is one of my pet peeves. I live in GC South - not part of the Village which controls parking at all 5 LIRR stations in the area. I have asked inquired many times about getting a permit (current cost is $100/year) but the answer is always NO. They couldn't care if you had to walk on crutches in the snow to the train station - only GC residents area allowed to get a permit ...

Skater812, you are not the first to learn that folks who live in a hamlet, such as Garden City South, do not get certain benefits that other folks that live in a village, such as Garden City, may have, and, oftentimes, this is reflected in property values between properties that are in a hamlet and adjacent properties that are in a village.

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City South:

Garden City South is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Garden City South in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north and east by the Village of Garden City; on the south by the Hamlet of West Hempstead; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Garden-city-south-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City South is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address. places in the Hamlet of Garden City South have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Really ridiculous. Gotta love those rich snobs, ugh. Stay away from West Hempstead, horrible service and a real run down area. Maybe you can travel down to the Babylon line (Baldwin, etc) or use Mineola Intermodal.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM

I appreciate the information but I still do not think it is right that GC controls the parking at all of the local LIRR stations. The GC residents are not the only people who need to take the LIRR to get to work. I certainly do not expect to park there for free - I am more than willing to pay the annual permit fee and there are parking spaces available at these stations. Maybe now that GC is feeling the pinch of this current economy, they will reconsider and allow some of us GCS "step-children" to park there as it will generate some revenue. As for property values, there are some houses in GCS that are worth more than the lower-end houses in GC and I am told that many years ago, parts of GCS were to be incorporated into the village but that never happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Skater812, you are not the first to learn that folks who live in a hamlet, such as Garden City South, do not get certain benefits that other folks that live in a village, such as Garden City, may have, and, oftentimes, this is reflected in property values between properties that are in a hamlet and adjacent properties that are in a village.

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City South:

Garden City South is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Garden City South in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north and east by the Village of Garden City; on the south by the Hamlet of West Hempstead; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

Garden City South is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address. places in the Hamlet of Garden City South have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the information but the Babylon line is too far. Mineola would be an alternative but I'm told you have to get there by 6 AM to get a parking space. Most of the time the walk isn't too bad and good exercise but on the days when its raining or freezing cold when it would be nice to park there and I can't, I'll just keep cursing out GC as I've been doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Really ridiculous. Gotta love those rich snobs, ugh. Stay away from West Hempstead, horrible service and a real run down area. Maybe you can travel down to the Babylon line (Baldwin, etc) or use Mineola Intermodal.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,951 times
Default Reginald Pierre

Please please please, if anyone knows un then please help me find him

Old 06-27-2015, 07:06 PM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
The Mineola station is fine... Arrive by 7:30-8am and park at the very top level. You always find parking there. West Hempstead station isnt too bad except i would suggest picking up the train at Hempstead Gardens and park for free on Willow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island