Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 60,946 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster!

Unfortunately, we had a home fire and the house is essentially destroyed.
Everything needs to be gutted to the studs. No one was hurt and hardly anything was lost as we were in the process of moving in so that is the positive aspect of this.

We are in negotiations with our insurance company - don't have any numbers yet - but we are looking for solid reputable contractors/builders to rebuild our home.

If anyone has recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM

453 posts, read 1,536,255 times
Sorry to hear about the fire, hope all works out for you

Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,889 times
I'm out in Melville and just used someone-still finishing up last minute items-who was reputable and did about $225,000 worth of renovations for us. He had been recommended by a friend who completely lost everything in a fire-he rebuilt their house in Melville as well. I would gladly-hopefully when economy picks up-use him for more work. Feel free to pm for his name and number.

Also. best of luck to you during this challenging time.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,620 times
Just watch out with the insurance company...I had a nightmare situation with a puff back !

Be ALL OVER THEM, and read EVERYTHING and UNDERSTAND everything they send you...a lawyer would be a good investment.

They have different standards of accounting...they count differently and creatively, if you will...believe me, be scrupulous ABOUT EVERYTHING and don't let your guard down !

Last edited by longislandmike; 01-07-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Another thing...when you get to the construction stage...if that is your choice...it's a minefield, and BE MORE CAREFUL, with these Morons !

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,870 times
www.shellsonly.com is a great company to deal with to rebuild your home.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,317 times
Get an advocate to negotiate on your behalf... not an insurance company employee. You'll get alot more coverage!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Get an advocate to negotiate on your behalf... not an insurance company employee. You'll get alot more coverage!
VERY good advice.

One person I know had a fire, and the insurance company wanted to pay to have the stair treads replaced but not the risers or stringers, and to have some windows replaced which wouldn't have matched the older ones. After some back and forth, the advocate got them all new windows so that they would match, and was able to get the staircases completely replaced.

There were other things, too, but those two were the ones that stick out in my mind.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
VERY good advice.

One person I know had a fire, and the insurance company wanted to pay to have the stair treads replaced but not the risers or stringers, and to have some windows replaced which wouldn't have matched the older ones. After some back and forth, the advocate got them all new windows so that they would match, and was able to get the staircases completely replaced.

There were other things, too, but those two were the ones that stick out in my mind.
Amazing conincidence ? NO !

The EXACT SAME THING...sort of...happened to me, with the insurance company.

When they measured our house, inside, for painting...the insurance company short-changed the measurement of the cellar railing, and didn't count the risers or springers for paint...somehow, our cellar stair were an architectural oddity...they were suspended in mid-air !

In addition, there was NO sales tax calculated in what were owed us in the final amount !

What you probably already encountered is a MULTITUDE of STRANGERS, literally, POURING over your property and personal things...your Personal Property....EVERYTHING ! And until the job it done "right" the first time...if you are LUCKY...the endless flow of STRANGERS, transversing your property line, is LITERALLY, ENDLESS !

What the "SCAM" is, is the following : there is A LOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ "floating around" in ANY KIND of home repair/ construction situation, and the aim is NOT to "put you back were you were before"...the insurance company types will say this a lot...but TO MAKE MONEY FOR THEMSELVES, AT, ULTIMATELY, YOUR EXPENSE !

I know what you are thinking..."but the insurance company is paying for this and that, and I'm not..". The insurance company AND the contractor...who they are in "ca-hoots with" will cut corners on materials and construction, etc....THIS is how they make their money, on "cutting corners" and short-changing you on materials and methods !

YOU NEED AN ADVOCATE TO INTERPRET AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, AS PER THE POLICY ! It's NOT that the insurance company and the restoration/construction company/people will STOP cheating, it's that they will cheat you LESS, in the end !

This is "why" insurance costs and premiums are so "HIGH"...CORRUPTION ! AND AN "HONEST" PERSON, IN ALL OF THIS, IS HARD TO FIND ! IT'S ALL OF THIS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ BEING PASSED ALONG...a hundred $ or a thousand $$$ here or there, adds up, and THEY COUNT ON YOU NOT BEING SOPHISTICATED OR SMART OR TOUGH ENOUGH TO SAY "NO" !

Don't want to scare you...but, this is only the, proverbial "tip" of what you will encounter in your journey !

Just keep going forward, and be ALL OVER EVERYONE, AND DON'T TRUST ANYONE...ANYONE, even your advocate !

Last edited by longislandmike; 01-08-2009 at 02:46 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Get a public adjuster on your side.....they know how to deal with your insurance companies. For sure, this is your first step.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island