Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchief View Post
i How do you go about starting and incorporated village.
As I replied a bit earlier in this thread to WIHS2006, who asked the same question:

For the actual rules about how to incorporate as a village, ask your local Assembly person and/or State Senate person for a copy (or the URL, if available) of the Legislative Act, as amended, controlling the incorporation of villages.

Second, it is not necessary to refer to a village, a municipal corporation, as an "incorporated village", as there are no such entities as "unincorporated villages", and using the term "incorporated village" implies that there are "unincorporated villages".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 AM

44 posts, read 150,774 times
Oh ok, so thats why you can still put "Whitestone , NY" etc, so how come USPS didnt just change everything to "NY, NY"?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,718 times
To me, the term "incorporated village" is 1) Silly, and 2) sedition.

If I were the government authority, of the immediate surrounding locality, I would do the following, just on TALK of such a silly thing,

1) I'd immediately string concertina wire COMPLETELY AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE PROPOSED INCORPORATED VILLAGE, especially at key traffic interections...car and any other conveyance such as trains, planes, etc.. I would post the armed, local constabulary, at pre-selected entrances and exits.

2) I would send out a list of essential and non-essential, living services, WITH CHARGES FOR EACH SERVICE, PAYABLE ON DEMAND, FOR THOSE INSIDE OF THE CLOSED OFF area. CASH ONLY PAYMENT. If payment is not made, they will be taxed a sur charge.

It would last 30 seconds, tops.

If you want an incorporated village, I can recommend examples of it, in the form of our State's fine, prison system, to you. 3 square meals a day, and "round eye" whenever you want or need it.

Only for the obsessive, and anal retentive of our society, not for "real" people or living.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
... so how come USPS didnt just change everything to "NY, NY"?
Postal politics.

In order to make all, well almost all*, of New York City have a "New York, NY" mailing address this would require that whenever one of the several post masters of the post offices that service the different parts of New York City outside of the "New York, NY" post office, either retires or passes away while in office, that their post office be absorbed by the "New York, NY" post office. This process could take in excess of 20 years, which is the main stumbling block.

* Bear in mind that small parts of the Borough of the Bronx (coterminous with Bronx County) are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc., etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Postal politics.

In order to make all, well almost all*, of New York City have a "New York, NY" mailing address this would require that whenever one of the several post masters of the post offices that service the different parts of New York City outside of the "New York, NY" post office, either retires or passes away while in office, that their post office be absorbed by the "New York, NY" post office. This process could take in excess of 20 years, which is the main stumbling block.

* Bear in mind that small parts of the Borough of the Bronx (coterminous with Bronx County) are serviced by post offices located in Westchester County and hence have "Westchester" mailing addresses, such as "Yonkers, NY", "Pelham Manor, NY", etc., etc.

My plan would stop mail delivery too !

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Walter, you like the idea of "incorporated villages" ?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Walter, you like the idea of "incorporated villages" ?

Villages, yes; incorporated villages, no.

Seriously, in my opinion, the 3 towns (as well as the 2 cities) in Nassau County and the 10 towns in Suffolk County should be dissolved, and the County of Nassau and the County of Suffolk (as well as the County of Peconic: *see below) should become coterminous county-towns.

Then, all hamlets (as well as what had been the 2 cities in Nassau county) in all the counties should be given the option of becoming villages, either using the pre-existing hamlet borders or combining two or more hamlets before becoming a village.

That way, there would be two main levels of government: the coterminous county-town and the villages, and subsequent to this political reorganization, there could be a more intelligent reorganization of all special districts, as well as all school districts.

* Immediately prior to the dissolving of the 10 towns in Suffolk County, the 5 eastern towns in Suffolk County should be allowed to secede and form Peconic County, and then proceed with the dissolving of the 5 towns, etc. , etc., etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM

It's too complicated.

When I see stuff like this..A DOOR COMES DOWN...it seems like someone is trying to put something over on me, and I don't benefit at all...NO ONE DOES, just some group, of elite, RICH people or companies...the Usual Suspects !

Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Crap. There goes my dream of having my own Incorporated Village.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Dering Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Crap. There goes my dream of having my own Incorporated Village.

Yes, you can have your own village.

The Village of Dering Harbor has a population of 15 (2007 LIPA est.), and if you move there and have a large enough family, you can vote yourself in as the village mayor and your family members could vote themselves in as the village trustees.

For those who may not be familiar with Dering Harbor:

Dering Harbor is a village (incorporated in 1916) in the northwest part of the Town of Shelter Island, in the far east part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Dering Harbor in the Town of Shelter Island is bordered on the north by the Greenport Harbor; on the east and south by the Hamlet of Shelter Island Heights; and, on the west by the Dering Harbor.

Dering Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Dering Harbor have a "Shelter Island Heights, NY 11965" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island