Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM

75 posts, read 195,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The school district that serves Bayville, Locust Valley, is well regarded. However, I don't know anything about their special ed programs in particular.

Have you checked out this thread for ideas:

Best Long Island School Districts for Special Education
Thanks for the link. I'll try to sift through it then ask more directed questions about the districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM

61 posts, read 210,080 times
Does your daughter receive her early intervention services through CPSE? If so, she may not qualify for future services after age 3. Since, after age 3, she will need to be re-evaluated to qualify for CSE.

Also, programs under CSE in general is provided by School District and depended on funding. With current budget deficits, many SD are limiting their special education programs.

You might want to do more research on the quality of SD’s special education programs before buying a house. If they do a lot of referrals, it is a good indication they may already have exhausted their resources. Also, with referrals, CSE’s per diem rate is very low compared to market rate. Few licensed providers will accept CSE’s rate.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBoy View Post

Also, programs under CSE in general is provided by School District and depended on funding. With current budget deficits, many SD are limiting their special education programs.
That's right, after age 3 the SD is responsible for the cost of special ed, regardless of who provides the services or where. This is where doing your homework is so important, as some SDs refuse to pay for outside services even if called for and even though it's State mandated. The largest SD on L.I. is one of them - I'm aware of parents who had to take them to court in order to get what the child was entitled to. Sad!!
And yes, the reduced funding surely will have an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBoy View Post
You might want to do more research on the quality of SD’s special education programs before buying a house. If they do a lot of referrals, it is a good indication they may already have exhausted their resources. Also, with referrals, CSE’s per diem rate is very low compared to market rate. Few licensed providers will accept CSE’s rate.
Actually doing a lot of referrals is not necessarily a bad sign; in fact, it shows that they recognize the need and their inability to provide a particular service. One of my daughters works "in the system" and is very aware of who is willing to do what is called for and who refuses as long as possible.
With regard to who accepts CSE's rates, I guess that depends on what services are required. In addition, there are still limited openings for some children on the spectrum and parents have to be very vigilant and resourceful to get the information and placement.

But as stated, research with regard to the SD is very important before deciding on a location.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM

I think you may confusing CPSE (committee on preschool education) with early intervention (EI). My daughter received services through EI up until the age of 3. After that, services were assumed by the school district through their CPSE. Because there are no spec ed preschool programs in the Mineola SD, she was eligible to go wherever a spot was available within the programs in Nassau county. It didn't cross my mind what would happen if we moved to a school district that did have a program, although all the programs that we looked at were independent of any public school. This will be something I need to inquire about. Is mill neck considered part of the Locust valley SD?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Mill Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crojj42 View Post
Is mill neck considered part of the Locust valley SD?

The Village of Mill Neck is about evenly split, with the western part in the Locust Valley Central School District and the eastern part in the Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Mill Neck:

Mill Neck is a village (incorporated in 1924) in the most northern part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Mill Neck in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by Mill Neck Bay; on the east by Oyster Bay and the Hamlet of Oyster Bay; on the south by the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Matinecock; and, on the west by the Village of Matinecock, the Hamlet of Locust Valley and the Village of Lattingtown.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/Mill-neck-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of Mill Neck has a different border than does the "Mill Neck, NY 11765" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Mill Neck, NY 11765" mailing address and not be in the Village of Mill Neck and a place can be in the Village of Mill Neck and have other than a "Mill Neck, NY 11765" mailing address): places that have a "Mill Neck, NY 11765" mailing address that are not in the Village of Mill Neck are in the Hamlet of Oyster Bay; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Mill Neck that have an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" and "Bayville, NY 11709" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
My son had recieved early intervention and CPSE services right up to Kindergarten through the Oceanside School district. I don't know the details because my wife handled everything, but he had services from 2 to 6 or 7, whatever age it is when you enter Kindergarten. Overall, I was very satified with the services.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
My son had recieved early intervention and CPSE services right up to Kindergarten through the Oceanside School district. I don't know the details because my wife handled everything, but he had services from 2 to 6 or 7, whatever age it is when you enter Kindergarten. Overall, I was very satified with the services.
Glad to hear you were satisfied! Kindergarten officially starts at age 5, but can occasionally be delayed.
As a rule, Oceanside SD does not like to refer to outside services ...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Glad to hear you were satisfied! Kindergarten officially starts at age 5, but can occasionally be delayed.
Is it 5? I don't remember. I'm toast. I'm lucky I can remember to tie my shoe laces anymore.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Is it 5? I don't remember. I'm toast. I'm lucky I can remember to tie my shoe laces anymore.
LOL for myself, I call it "senior moment"

And you certainly have more important things on your mind...

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I guess I got a lot to ask about. I didn't realize that things varied between school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island