Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times

Advertisements

I'm about to be clipped anyday now. I just got so fed up I stopped paying, and also due to money being tight right now, a TV and computer are last on the essentials of life list.

Anyway, has anybody had any real success trying to beat them out of a few bucks a months with the threat of going to FIOS or the like?
I'm really thinking of switching over, even if the FIOS isn't the second coming, at least I can save a few bucks for the time being.

I think I'm paying around $150 a month for the bare bones stuff with Cablevision...Computer, phone, and the cheapest tv package that includes some of my favorite channels like Disc, Sci-Fi, Speed, etc...
I have no movie channels like HBO etc...No premium crap or HD etc...

Just curious if threats work or not. And to what degree.
If they can bring my current package in line with FIOS, maybe I'd stay.
A one time $25 credit wont due, nor will $3 a month off my bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM

453 posts, read 1,536,452 times
Yep, we got them to redo the triple play ($99/mo) for a year by telling them we were going to cancel and go to dish

Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
I got the run down from Verizon last year...I'd be paying basically about $10 less per month for the same channels, but better quality (if what they are saying about signal quality and internet speed is true).

Of course, since the TV is still not available where I live, I can't get it. I hate Cablevision.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Yep, we got them to redo the triple play ($99/mo) for a year by telling them we were going to cancel and go to dish
Please share what you got, and how you did it !

Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 PM

208 posts, read 913,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Please share what you got, and how you did it !
Wow, that's a great deal the other poster got with the triple play being re-done. When I called them, all I got was $25 off my bill for one year, of course after that year is up, I will be calling again to see what happens, but basically all I did was call and ask to speak to the retention department, and I was very nice with the guy, told him look, I know people are calling every day telling you I want a lower bill or they will switch to FIOS, yadda, yadda, told him I wanted to stay with cable (only reason I really stay is for MSG network in HD and my email address), but my neighbor just got FIOS and really loves it and is saving a lot of money every month, and since we are in hard economic times every penny counts, so is there anything you can do to help me remain a loyal customer, blah blah blah....something along those lines.

Then told me some stuff I wrote in the other FIOS thread about a larger energy consumption and a lot of fees on FIOS, but then said they could give me a discount on my phone bill and internet bill which totaled $25, so my bill went from $165 to $145. I have basic optimum with one DVR box and I subscribe to the sports pak for $6 a month to get the NHL Network cause they are too cheap to give it to us for free, plus regular optimum online, and voice.

I seriously remember pricing out a FIOS system with the same specs as my current cable plan and I swear it only came out to be slightly less per month, maybe $10 if that. Maybe the deal is better now, I haven't done this in about a year.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 PM

43 posts, read 180,275 times
Make an appointment w/ Verizon & get a confirmation #. Then call Cablevision's Disconnect Dep't (800-918-2581) and tell them that you have an appointment to switch over to Fios. When I called, they asked if I had a confirmation # from Fios, which I did, and then he told me he could give me the promo price again for 1 year, which was OK, but then he started to rattle off a bunch of stuff he could also give me free for 1 year if I stayed. So in the end I got Free HBO/Starz/Encore, HBO On Demand, free DVR & Optimum Online Boost all for about $110/mo. I was reluctant to switch to Fios anyway since I didn't want to have to have a box for every TV, but was willing to give them a shot to save a substantial amount of $$. Unless Fios blows me away with an even better offer, I'll stick with Cablevision until this promo ends and see what they'll give me next time I threaten to leave.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM

You need a box for every set with FIOS? yikes.
I assume they charge a fee per box...I have 4 TV's.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM

549 posts, read 2,195,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think you are going to need a box for every tv anyway with the digital signal.

Verizon sent me a free converter box for a tv I have that is not using one of their boxes.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

43 posts, read 180,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Of course...I believe it was $6/box/mo (we have 5 TV's!!), but they give you the 1st one free. Even with paying for the boxes, it was still cheaper than CV's non-promo price. I was just reluctant because 2 TV's are wall mounted and I have no way of hooking up a box asthetically without some electrical/carpentry work.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM

I have 2 IO boxes, my kids tv's are just hooked up to the coax feed, so they only get certain channels through the low 100's I believe. They get the important stuff though, like cartoon network, nickeloden, disney, TNT, TBS, all that type of stuff.

I'm paying just under $150 for Cable, FIOS is I think 94.99 right now? but with 4 boxes, plus the misc taxes and fees it's gonna end up being around the same money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island