Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

I want to sell my house, do I need a realtor or an agent ? The property has a 2nd mortgage, does it affect negotiable rates and mls listings ?

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to put my home in Wantagh on the market in a few weeks.
What are the going rates these days? Does anyone still do the 2% thing anymore? I thought ABBEY did it but I can't even find their web site. Must mean they are out of business!

Any recommendations are welcome.

Off to stage!

Brian

It's like feeding time at a Shark Picnic...ONLY, you are THE Dinner !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM

690 posts, read 1,015,561 times
Many thanks to all that has replied!
My construction ends Friday when the new carpet gets installed. I will then need to start packing up all the things that make my home a home and work on turning it into a very nice house.

How far do I really need to go with that? I mean I have a wife and 2 kids and we still need to live there! I know to remove all of the nick knacks and generally declutter. I will do what I can to make the rooms feel the largest and yet still inviting.

Should I work on getting an agent before I am ready to actually show? What is the time frame from getting an agent to the first showing?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Many thanks to all that has replied!
My construction ends Friday when the new carpet gets installed. I will then need to start packing up all the things that make my home a home and work on turning it into a very nice house.

How far do I really need to go with that? I mean I have a wife and 2 kids and we still need to live there! I know to remove all of the nick knacks and generally declutter. I will do what I can to make the rooms feel the largest and yet still inviting.

Should I work on getting an agent before I am ready to actually show? What is the time frame from getting an agent to the first showing?
Glad to hear you understand about "decluttering". Counters should be kept as free of things as possible, cabinets cleared/straightened, both kitchen and linen - people will look inside.
How about the outside? Did you do a "clean-up" outside before the winter, i.e. leaves raked, beds trimmed where necessary, etc.?

Generally, agents like to do an Open House asap once the listing is signed, to introduce it to the general market, but the house should be ready. No reason not to interview an agent now! Good luck

Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Be sure to interview several RE agents and ask them their strategies for this very strange market.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Thanks Tom for your help - I'll definitely suggest what you said to my agent.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 AM

690 posts, read 1,015,561 times
Cool Update time!!!

Hi All,
Time for an update! I decided on my own (Based on what I saw on MLSLI) that I wanted to sell my house in Wantagh for 419K. I was contacted by HomeFinder15 (Ann) and she came over to the house to give it a look. She also brought a full set of comps in the area and convinced me to list at $429,888. I listed my house with Ann who works for Century 21 in the middle of March. We had a brokers party where all said the house would sell for less that 410K and most said it would take 6 months or more. One said it would sell for 350K and another said it would take up to a year to sell. However because I did the whole staging thing (emptied the closets, removed all personal things like pictures, and kept colors neutral) the brokers thought the house showed well. I had 27 showings in the first 2 weeks. It was like Grand Central Station!
My first offer came in on day 3 for 350K. I countered and we went back and forth for 2 days and they came up to 400K. On day 9 I got another offer and the same back and forth and ended at 400K as well. On day 14 I got an offer for 410K….CASH! No bank involved. Yes…I sold my home in 2 weeks! I closed on the house in Wantagh on May 19th and I closed on my new home in PA on May 21st.

What I learned?
1, Choose a agent you can trust, who stays close to you and can keep you posted on various things that can come up. Ann was all this and MUCH more! I had a few brokers I was interviewing but Ann contacted ME. That shows a real desire to sell in my book. She was prompt, was super quick on e-mail, and gave GREAT advice! She had other houses listed but I felt I was her only client. Amazing!

2, Staging a house makes a HUGE difference! It is a lot of work…but do it! It makes your house stand out against the rest. (There were 115 houses for sale in Wantagh at the time of my listing. I would say I had 25 houses as direct competition…and a few in my own development!)

3, Walk every inch of your home and property and look with a “buyers eye”. That means fix anything that doesn’t look pleasing!!! If you can’t do this honestly, get a neighbor or a relative.

4, PICTURES! Take lots of quality pictures with a wide angle lens! If you do not have a camera, hire a professional. I heard people coming in and looking into a room talking as if they knew the room already. That means they were studying the pictures.

5, If you do not have a CO for something, get it now! BEFORE you list! I needed a CO for an existing bathroom upstairs and it just creates a lot more stress in and already stressful event!

6, Broker parties are good because it introduces other agents to your home. Just remember that they too want a quick sale at your expense so they say things to make you think you should lower the price. Basically ignore the comments…

7, Just because AndreaII and LIgirl74 are having a hard time doesn’t mean you will. To be perfectly honest, if the house is ***priced right***, has no issues, and shows well, there is no need for it to be on the market that long. If it is, you need to take a look at my points 1-6 again

To see my house in Wantagh that sold in 2 weeks for 410K
ann Photo Gallery by Brian Chang at pbase.com

To see my new house (for those that are interested)
170 SPRINGDALE LANE MILLERSVILLE , PA 17551 Photo Gallery by Brian Chang at pbase.com

Good luck to all!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 AM

130 posts, read 743,476 times
I am from Berks County in PA. Lancaster County is great. I loved it when I would go visit, you have the outlets, a big mall, and a nice little community... althought just like anywhere it has it's bad areas. I wish I could recommend someone for you!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
do you mind posting the MLS number of your old house or the address?

I had a similar experience, also in wantagh. house was basically sold in 2 weeks, first offer within 1 week. Almost went to contract but my wife lost her job and decided we couldn't swing the increased payment and closing costs on the one income.

good luck in PA.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM

130 posts, read 743,476 times
Can you give me Ann's number??? I am having a hard time with a realtor that I was looking with but I didn't sign anything so I have no obligations to her but I am looking for a house and maybe she will be more willing to help ME (the buyer) this woman that I have been seeing houses with is only concerned with prices and her comission. She is showing me houses out of my range and not with what I am looking for. (1 bedroom or 2 bedroom with no heat or closets... basically pieces of ****s.) I have kids- cannot be looking to live in a piece of crap. for that I rent.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Hi MissesFixIt, you may send me a PM and we can 'talk'.

CleanMaxx - thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family and working with you during the sale of your home. I am so happy you are settling into your new home in PA, it is gorgeous!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island