Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM

52 posts, read 250,402 times

Advertisements

A friend recently asked me to meet her for dinner on a Saturday night in downtown Huntington. I live about 30 minutes away and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle. I've driven through the area on a weekend afternoon an it seemed like a pain to find parking and maneuver through the area during the day....I'm assuming at night it's even worse. How crazy and crowded does it get in downtown Huntington (main st & new york ave.) on a Saturday night? How is the parking situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
A friend recently asked me to meet her for dinner on a Saturday night in downtown Huntington. I live about 30 minutes away and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle. I've driven through the area on a weekend afternoon an it seemed like a pain to find parking and maneuver through the area during the day....I'm assuming at night it's even worse. How crazy and crowded does it get in downtown Huntington (main st & new york ave.) on a Saturday night? How is the parking situation?
There are several parking lots around that location, some smaller than others.
If your friend is from the area, she should know where they are, or where you can find alternate parking. If you need specific tips, send me a DM and I'll give you specifics; I live and work in the area

Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are several parking lots around that location, some smaller than others.
If your friend is from the area, she should know where they are, or where you can find alternate parking. If you need specific tips, send me a DM and I'll give you specifics; I live and work in the area

Huntington Village is a notorious pain in the arse to get in and out of.

There are some very cool back road options that will spare you the unforgiving wrath of NY Ave/110.

Maybe some locals can weigh in, the back road names escape me (whats the road by New Community?)

crooks

Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Maybe some locals can weigh in, the back road names escape me (whats the road by New Community?)

crooks
Could be Woodhull that you're thinking of.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Woodhull is one of several options - certainly not one with parking opportunities though. (Not one of my favorites)
Of course a lot depends on which direction you're coming from...

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM

175 posts, read 657,248 times
Huntington Village is terrific. The traffic isn't insane unless there is a festival or carnival or something going on. It is a little tough to get to from the LIE or Northern State, but that's true of most of the North Shore.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Huntington Village is terrific. The traffic isn't insane unless there is a festival or carnival or something going on. It is a little tough to get to from the LIE or Northern State, but that's true of most of the North Shore.
C'mon LIE to Huntington Village sucks.
You have no real open N/S artery and its always a drag.

What backroads do you suggest, I know theres a couple of cool ones.
I think it was easier coming in on Park off NSP if I recall.

crooks

Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
C'mon LIE to Huntington Village sucks.
You have no real open N/S artery and its always a drag.

What backroads do you suggest, I know theres a couple of cool ones.
I think it was easier coming in on Park off NSP if I recall.

crooks
Coming from Nassau or Queens/Brooklyn take 135 to Jericho Turnpike east, left on Woodbury Road, left on Route 108. When you hit 25A you can either take that the rest of the way or snake through Cold Spring Harbor on Lawrence Hill Road. That way is faster, but 25A is a nicer drive.

That's convenient for me because I live right on top of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway....not sure if it would be that much better for people who have to take the LIE anyway....but I'd imagine it would beat Route 110.

Parking in Huntington Village was never a problem for me, if you can't find a spot on the street there are a few municipal lots (I think) you can park in. I've never gotten a ticket, at least...

If you're coming from the east, I dunno what traffic is like during rush hour - but you can get from the NSP to Huntington pretty quick on Suffolk CR35. Get off at the Deer Park Avenue/231 exit going north, bear left and take it all the way up to 25A.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Coming from Nassau or Queens/Brooklyn take 135 to Jericho Turnpike east, left on Woodbury Road, left on Route 108. When you hit 25A you can either take that the rest of the way or snake through Cold Spring Harbor on Lawrence Hill Road. That way is faster, but 25A is a nicer drive.

That's convenient for me because I live right on top of the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway....not sure if it would be that much better for people who have to take the LIE anyway....but I'd imagine it would beat Route 110.

Parking in Huntington Village was never a problem for me, if you can't find a spot on the street there are a few municipal lots (I think) you can park in. I've never gotten a ticket, at least...

If you're coming from the east, I dunno what traffic is like during rush hour - but you can get from the NSP to Huntington pretty quick on Suffolk CR35. Get off at the Deer Park Avenue/231 exit going north, bear left and take it all the way up to 25A.
Thats the one Sean Sean

Deer Park Ave exit is quick.
I think it turns into Park.

110 is useless.

crooks

Old 03-22-2009, 08:29 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
As i said in the last Huntington thread... no one takes 110 to actually GET anywhere. It's been useless for years.

People I know who live west of the village take Woodbury Rd/108 to the parkways, east they take Deer Park Ave/Park Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island