Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent236 View Post
Hello,
I know this post is dated, but I am in need of some help and opinions of other parents that have dealt with a similar situation please. My son is 3 years old and is transitioning from EI to CPSE. We live in Levittown. He was diagnosed in Ocotber 2013 with ASD high functioning. he currently is attending full EI program at Little Village and has come a long way since starting in Feb 2014. The school is advising that he no longer needs ABA therapy full time and they want to put him on part time no ABA 2.5 hours a day. We just had CPSE meeting and they agreed he does not need full time and only part time is approved. I disagree with them and requested a second CPSE meeting to fight their decision. I feel if he has done so well why not keep him full time and let him progress even more. I need some opinions from moms who went through this. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do. I took him to a Pediatric developmental doctor who agreed he needs full time as well and so does his regular pediatrician. Little Village does not have a full time class appropriate so I am touring all schools to see my options. Does anyone have any advice on this situation or a similiar experience? Please help would love any feedback.
Does your child's social worker have any advice? Ours was a great help, told us what to expect, and what to fight for.
The pediatrician can write up a strong case for, as a help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 PM

41 posts, read 117,627 times
You can always call for another CPSE meeting. You have the right to request that your child be re-evaluated through another agency. Currently the EI/ABA program is receiving lots of funding (Under the Dept, of Health). The CPSE program is under the Dept of Education and there have been cuts. Some children receive SEIT services (1:1 special education teacher works with a child in their home or private daycare or preschool -up to 3 hours a day 5 days a week, this teacher may or may not be ABA trained). Some school districts give parents lists of approved special ed preschools and therapist and parents have to make contacts on their own with providers. Speech Therapist, OT and PT can come to your home or daycare settings. Some children are approved for Special Education preschools, bus services for these programs are provided. Parents are encourage to visit CPSE preschools and find the best match for their child, based on openings. For some families being in a special education preschool works out better (if a child receives a lot of therapist at home scheduling may be difficult and sometimes a suitable therapist can not be found (there are not enough therapist willing to travel around to the homes). If you would like special education laws and policies explained you can contact LI Regional Office NYS Edu Dept at 631-952-3352 (they will connect you with a representative from your area).

Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
Hi everyone. Variety has expanded and now in Syosset and Levittown. They have so many programs for pre-school and students up to age 8. They have wonderful programs and workshops for social skills on the weekends. I think Variety has more choices then Little Village, but don't rule out HASC also in Woodmere.

Wayne Rock | Special Education Advocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island