Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

Why can't people clean their own house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Why can't people clean their own house?
Everyones working to pay the taxes.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 121,687 times
I used to say the same thing except when both you and your significant other work full time careers of 60-70 hour weeks, have a child, you don't want to spend the time cleaning. So you trade a few bucks for some time with family and to do other things. Oh ya, working to pay the taxes you know....

Old 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM

I actually like cleaning my house. I have pride in my home I guess.
I work 6 or 7 days a week from April through October, 12, 14 sometimes 15 hours a day, and I still find time to tidy the house, with the help of my wife of course, who also works full time 40+ hours. Winter is a different story because my work load is cut in half, but it's really only mid-Dec to early Feb that I'm dead.
It's probabally me, I've just got that real old-school mentality.
Maybe if I had a ton of money I'd have someone cleaning my house.
I guess I just can't relate.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM

41 posts, read 121,687 times
The part that gets us over the edge is having young children. I would rather spend those two hours with them.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
I work 6 or 7 days a week from April through October, 12, 14 sometimes 15 hours a day, and I still find time to tidy the house, with the help of my wife of course, who also works full time 40+ hours. Winter is a different story because my work load is cut in half, but it's really only mid-Dec to early Feb that I'm dead.
We do too.

I love cutting my lawn.

Crook

Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
My neighbor just used a guy to clean all her windows and she said he also cleans gutters. SInce he charges only $6 a window, I'm guessing he's reasonable for gutters too - I'll get the name later - DM me if I forget to get back to you. I used Ned Stevens to clean my gutters last fall - $97 - I have a dormered cape....if you have a steeply pitched roof they might charge more (that's the kind of house I grew up in).

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 AM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Everybody's different and everybody's situation is different. But I guess this is the internet where someone can sit up on their high horse and proclaim their greatness amongst the crowd

Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Did you get your check yet?

Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Doing my yard in GC takes about 1 to 1.5 hours a week. I work in the city and often have 60-70 hour work weeks. There really is no excuse for not doing your own yard unless you are handicapped.

If people got off their butts and did their own yards, we'd put a real dent in the illegal immigration problem AND we'd drastically reduce noise and air pollution.

As for spending time with your kids, why can't they help out in the yard? Honestly, I've never seen a lazier group of kids than what we have on LI and it's the parents fault. I used to be out in the yard with my dad all the time growing up. Now I guess they are inside playing video games.

----
True story....My neighbors across the street have an able bodied 18 yr old High School Senior at home. The husband is really fat so maybe he can't shovel. The kid however is in good shape. What happens after the snowstorm??? MOM is out there shoveling the entire driveway. Junior finally drags his butt out there when there is only a tiny portion left of the walkway. Unbelievable.

This apathy and laziness is clearly caused by many LI parents and they only have themselves to blame for coddling their kids so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island