Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM

563 posts, read 2,574,319 times

Advertisements

The tolls and fares were originally designed to pay for the remaining balance on cost of the infrastructure, roads, bridges etc. When was the last time they actually could fix and improve instead of patchwork maintenance of this infrastructure? The proposed increase is not even for that--its to balance a huge deficit. Have you paid attention to any of these "free" crossings when you go across. They are older than dirt. The Williamsburgh bridge can't even get a paint job. They are still trying to clean the lead paint off I assume. Probably its original paint. Bottom line is whether riders and users are saddled with a fare increase, a commuter tax is proposed, a congestion pricing plan is approved, a business tax is proposed, etc, this problem will never go away. They will continue to stick it to Joe Q. Public.

The idea of an increase in car registration is something I have not heard but its a good "outside the box" idea. Of course no one wants to pay but cars are a luxury and privilege as much as a necessity for people and its one of the things the state could do. THe EZ pass only on the bridges with currently no tolls is another idea that I think would work because I was wondering myself how they could collect tolls. But they would prob offset any money earned by the time that officers would put in earning a wage to combat idiots with no EZ-pass that foul up traffic when they show up to cross. And it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,981,662 times
Gov. Paterson slaps state Republicans for blocking plan for MTA

Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 AM

4,702 posts, read 8,788,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
But they would prob offset any money earned by the time that officers would put in earning a wage to combat idiots with no EZ-pass that foul up traffic when they show up to cross. And it will happen.
they could install a version with no gates that simply scans your EZ Pass. those who don't have EZ pass will have pics of their license plate taken and will receive tickets in the mail. It's not a perfect solution, but nothing is easy when you're dealing with infrastructure that's 100+ years old.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,938,460 times
My guess is that they'll use something like the camera system that London uses for congestion charging to catch people without EZ-Pass. The London system works well enough (as long as you don't forget to pay the charge!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island