Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

I stopped in there after a hike and needed to use the restroom. They directed me to the back, where the mens room was out of order, so I had to use the women's restroom. There were papers all over the floor, garbage bins overflowing with more dirty paper, I never seen a restroom such a mess, ESPECIALLY IN A SUPERMARKET.
I wouldn't buy anything from there. I reported it to the NY State board of health though I had to give them the address of the store, which from their website, doesn't look right as it's listed on N.Main st in East Hampton.
The store itself was neat, but the restroom was such a mess! Plus their prices are a RIPOFF.

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 04-06-2009 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: keeping the focus on the health issue here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,611 times
"Also saw numerous illegals possibly working there"

In Amagansett! No way!

Do what other hikers do; **** in the woods.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

It wouldn't suprise me, given the condition of the restrooms.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Got the right address and corrected it with the Dept. of Heath.
It looked like they hadnt cleaned the restroom garbage in weeks.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Now John, let me start by saying you did the right thing, no doubt, but one reason people use private businesses for this purpose is that there is an extreme lack of public facilities available. And if you think private business bathrooms are bad.....

Businesses provide bathroom facilities for a variety of reasons...they may be required by law (partially due to lack of available public facilities) or they do so for paying customers. It does not sound like you bought anything.

People who use private business establishments for this purpose (assuming they buy somehting) are called p*** customers.
I do not know if there is a name for folks who use said facilities and do not buy anything (it is theft of curteousy at least and maybe theft of sevices in some situations).

People who use the facilities, do not buy anything, and then report the business to the BOH......?

Your time may be better spent rallying the local government to provide facilities. Or be willing to do volunteer work and possible monetary donation to build a facility in Amagansett that does not already burden a possibly overburdened private business.

It's a dirty job the government does not want, so in many instances the private sector gets the job and does the best they can.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
Just because Johninwestbury didn't buy anything doesn't mean it was wrong for him to report it. How many times have you heard on the news about people getting violently sick because of fecal matter on things. Supermarkets contain produce. If the bathrooms are gross, then the people who run the store are gross and therefore hygiene is lacking after using the toilet.

For example, you eat out at a nice restaurant. You order a lemon in your soda. Now if the person who cut the lemon but didn't bother to wash their hands after wiping their A_S, guess what, you've got fecal matter on your lemon from their hands which is now in your drink and you will most likely have a bout on the toilet later that night.

Many years ago I was at a Chucky Cheese and while I was washing my hands after using the restroom, an employee came out of the stall and just left. I should have reported her, my bad, however, I never took my kid there again.!

Breakdown down in society........dirty toilets and expired food on shelves at the supermarkets! Oh My!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
When I lived on LI, IGA was used by welfare recipients and white trash. Guess not much has changed

Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
"Also saw numerous illegals possibly working there"

In Amagansett! No way!

Do what other hikers do; **** in the woods.
figures

Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Now John, let me start by saying you did the right thing, no doubt, but one reason people use private businesses for this purpose is that there is an extreme lack of public facilities available. And if you think private business bathrooms are bad.....

Businesses provide bathroom facilities for a variety of reasons...they may be required by law (partially due to lack of available public facilities) or they do so for paying customers. It does not sound like you bought anything.

People who use private business establishments for this purpose (assuming they buy somehting) are called p*** customers.
I do not know if there is a name for folks who use said facilities and do not buy anything (it is theft of curteousy at least and maybe theft of sevices in some situations).

People who use the facilities, do not buy anything, and then report the business to the BOH......?

Your time may be better spent rallying the local government to provide facilities. Or be willing to do volunteer work and possible monetary donation to build a facility in Amagansett that does not already burden a possibly overburdened private business.

It's a dirty job the government does not want, so in many instances the private sector gets the job and does the best they can.
I was going to buy something there, the retail area looked quite clean and they had a decent selection (although prices were high). But after seeing the restroom I decided not to.
I actually prefer to see what the restrooms are like before buying food in ANY establishment. As far as customers just going to use the restroom, what is wrong with that? If someone is driving on the highway you'd rather than go in their pants or on the side of the road than stop in the gas station to go?
The concept of pay toilets does not fly here in America. It may in Singapore, but not here.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
figures
I was out of the woods when I had to go. In that area of Amagansett are fields, unlike some guys I dont believe in doing one's business out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island