Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
It seems every bulletin you have posted on you are trashing Kings Park. I recently moved there and know the Key Food Shopping Center. Yes, that is the only place I have seen African Americans but it does not mean it is a bad shopping center. Any small area in a town located near a train station usually does look undesirable. That does not make the whole town bad.

My husband and I have been living in Kings Park for 4 months and love it. It is a blue collar working and middle class neighborhood and is surrounded by very nice towns.

People bumping year old threads to bash a certain area=people not to pay much attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Been here 15 years....great place to live!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
Kings Park is awesome. Just go to one of the community events and you will experience a nice small town feel that is second to none!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Kings Park is awesome. Just go to one of the community events and you will experience a nice small town feel that is second to none!

I agreee.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Just go to one of the community events ...
Can you list several?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM

46 posts, read 189,091 times
That's the first time I've seen Walter ask a question.

Kings Park events:

-Kings Park Day
-Any home sporting event at the high school - lots of people and support
-Sunken Meadow 10k in June - big turnout and good people
-Kings Park 15k run in March - not Cow Harbor, but good enough
-4th of July parade
-The elementary schools used to march through town for Halloween - great fun!
-The fire department drives through town during Christmas and has a Santa.

Kings Park is a great place to grow up and live! Nothing but fond memories.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
In addition:

Middle School Annual Turkey Trot
Homecoming Parade
World Peace Celebration
Kings Park Jazz Festival - Feb 27th
Charity Basketball game

Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
why does eveyrone keep calling it a middle class town? I think there are more levels besides low middle and high, and Kings Park is defnitly Upper middle class by a long shot. Have you seen the house prices lately?? Ever since i can remember It has been a pricey, nice place to live..Middle class seems a bit of stretch for the worse....and no i dont live anywhere near there. But really guys? Long Islanders have the most skewed views due to how overpriced everytihng is here compared to other states.. Anywhere else people would consider a town like KP upper middle class.

OH and As far as the Psych Center goes...back then it only drew more people in then it pushed away, It wasent just a hospital, it was an entire community...Even offered living arrangements for employees on the grounds, It was a place where mentally ill people felt welcomed and loved. And it changed the lives of thousands of people...half the employees were Kings Park residents. It literally changed the town. Now everyone just sees a dumpy looking half mess / half park owned by smithtown, but back in the day it was truly a great respectable place (for patients, employees, even town residents) I dont see how a place whos only goal was to cure and help people - would turn people away from living in a particular town. Maybe i just feel this way because i work in the mental health field but hey, just my 2 cents...or 25 cents i guess cause this was much longer then i planned it to be =P

Last edited by ydsavaged; 02-25-2010 at 04:37 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
why does eveyrone keep calling it a middle class town? I think there are more levels besides low middle and high, and Kings Park is defnitly Upper middle class by a long shot. Have you seen the house prices lately?? Ever since i can remember It has been a pricey, nice place to live..Middle class seems a bit of stretch for the worse....and no i dont live anywhere near there. But really guys? Long Islanders have the most skewed views due to how overpriced everytihng is here compared to other states.. Anywhere else people would consider a town like KP upper middle class.

OH and As far as the Psych Center goes...back then it only drew more people in then it pushed away, It wasent just a hospital, it was an entire community...Even offered living arrangements for employees on the grounds, It was a place where mentally ill people felt welcomed and loved. And it changed the lives of thousands of people...half the employees were Kings Park residents. It literally changed the town. Now everyone just sees a dumpy looking half mess / half park owned by smithtown, but back in the day it was truly a great respectable place (for patients, employees, even town residents) I dont see how a place whos only goal was to cure and help people - would turn people away from living in a particular town. Maybe i just feel this way because i work in the mental health field but hey, just my 2 cents...or 25 cents i guess cause this was much longer then i planned it to be =P
Your response implies calling an area middle class is a pajorative, why is that? If you make low 6 figures, own a home you can afford and are able to eat out once in awhile, you're middle class in the Metro NY Area, not jut LI. Something hundreds of thousands of people aspire to. It's not uncommon for executives and those making good money on paper to live a blue collar, middle class lifestyle. I'm thankful that you can count me in that group.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,905 times
Default KP to live

to be called "white trash or trashy " shows ignorance. I have lived in KP for over 35 years. Born in NYC, raised in KP. Continue to live here, bought a house 13 years ago. I like the quiet small town feel. If you are looking for action, this town is not the place. Over the past several years we have had lower class families (no insult) move in, and some of them treat their property and curb appeal like slobs. As a hard working individual, I get infuritated with their attitude...

I will be friendly with anybody next door or in my area of any race or color, as long as they keep their property clean and not like a slob. If property values go back up (they are), this will limit lower class of people. You can always choose eastern LI towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island