Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 21,595 times

Advertisements

i love long island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Because people like to complain. While I'm sure there are a number of reasons, I would say the #1 reason is that people can't afford it and they are upset or bitter. No matter what some people say, that is at the heart of it. That's not everyone, of course, but a lot.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 21,595 times
thats a bad reason

you peoples out there should feel and urgency to work harder to live here not complain and not let other people come

Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty90 View Post
thats a bad reason

you peoples out there should feel and urgency to work harder to live here not complain and not let other people come
Work harder for what?

Perhaps its worth it if you have kids, a dog, a boat, or all three. But to someone like me, who has none of these concerns, it is a vast cultural Sahara that is so expensive to live in that its tough to escape.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM

21 posts, read 126,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
In the past 2 years hispanic females have been robbing houses for Jewelry & Cash in broad daylight when everbody else is working.

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

The thing i love about LI is that I can work in NYC and come home to a clean, quiet, reasonably priced suburb at night where it's nice and safe.

The thing I hate about LI is the taxes.

Then again maybe I like it here simply cause I'm not a racist lunatic like SOME people.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Single people and the old especially get SCREWED $5000 and up annual school tax to pay for everybody else’s kids.
Now we need to blow out school buildings, add ESL for the Illegal "browns" that live 30 to a house and dont pay a squat of tax. Its not even fair to the many new Asian's paying tax who usually have 1 or 2 kids then done. In the past 2 years hispanic females have been robbing houses for Jewelry & Cash in broad daylight when everbody else is working.

Now lets add the 1 million plus Queens refugees fleeing the City like rats out of a sinking ship squeezing every penny to put there kids in a "good Long Island school district".
These people have an even HARDER time, they vote in every bleeding heart Democrats who tells them what they want to hear !
Result: "There goes this neighborhood" as they say

Nassau County is finished, gladly Im outta here to N Fork in May. I really had enough my town was destroyed by curruption, overpopulation, Queens Crap & McMansions
I should have a good 8-10 years on the N fork as new home sales and banks decline

-Joe
Joe, you might be a little disappointed moving out east to get away from "browns". The mayor of Greenport just announced over 20% of the village is illegal alien, and that he welcomes them to the city! With all the farms out there, there are probably loads of illegals to work on them and the wineries. When I've gone out to the N. Fork, seen plenty of them riding their bikes on Route 25/58. Unfortunately, you can't get away from them due to our Federal government's blatant disregard of its own laws.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
The Fox and the Grapes is a fable attributed to Aesop. The protagonist, a fox, upon failing to find a way to reach grapes hanging high up on a vine, retreated and said: "The grapes are sour anyway!" The moral is stated at the end of the fable as: It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

In psychology, this behavior is known as rationalization.

Last edited by Check123; 03-31-2007 at 12:14 AM..

Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
For years I looked around at different areas of the country trying to find a better environment, friendlier people, a lower cost of living, more space, etc. And ended up finding where there's more space and less crowding there's nothing to do - a drop-dead area instead of the crowds. The boredom would have engulfed me.

There are friendlier people elsewhere but this can be a veneer as I discovered - in some areas of the country they'll smile at you while they try to double bill you.

A lower cost of living would certainly be a great help, but then I'd lose services like when you throw out a mattress at the end of your driveway and want the town to come pick it up. It would sit there for years instead.

And police? Up in Rutland VT there is literally one policeman for miles and miles. They've got plenty of crime up there in VT, but everyone thinks of it as a vacation spot down here on LI.

Yes things could be better, but nothing is perfect. And it's pretty difficult to top the proximity of NYC. No other city in the world is like it.

If people don't like it here on LI due to the high costs and other perceived problems, then they need to leave. They need to stop whining about it and take action and go. They probably would be happier elsewhere. And the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to their overbearing, tiresome complaints.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:39 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Joe, you might be a little disappointed moving out east to get away from "browns". The mayor of Greenport just announced over 20% of the village is illegal alien, and that he welcomes them to the city! With all the farms out there, there are probably loads of illegals to work on them and the wineries. When I've gone out to the N. Fork, seen plenty of them riding their bikes on Route 25/58. Unfortunately, you can't get away from them due to our Federal government's blatant disregard of its own laws.
Those guys are the field workers, they dont bother anybody I haven never seen any drunk. They live in the mattress houses get up 5AM dont have kids in the schools (yet anyway) and keep pretty much in line and have no wish to stay here. I dont like it but it better the the leeches. Several farmers told me without them they would have to sell there land kids today dont want to work, parents sue everytime they come home with a bandaid.
If you go up to Greenport village Claudios after 6PM you wont see one of them ! Anytime out on the water or the beach off Nassua point. Go to Jones beach or Rockaway these days you think your in the Dominican Republic Spanish and Rap music cranking out the ipod ghetto blaster's

Its the 3td world leeches you see in Westbury, Port Washington and Queens that I cant stand. I think the Greenpoort Mayor and the Bush mob could use a good tune-up.
Like I said, I still figure N Fork should have a good 10 years or more, I'm only on Long Island because my parents are still around.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizmoon2006 View Post

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

The thing i love about LI is that I can work in NYC and come home to a clean, quiet, reasonably priced suburb at night where it's nice and safe.

The thing I hate about LI is the taxes.

Then again maybe I like it here simply cause I'm not a racist lunatic like SOME people.
Where exactly is it 'clean, quite & 'reasonably priced'?? Unless you can afford to live on the North Shore in Great Neck, Roslyn, Port Washington or Syosset, it really isn't that clean & quite. And people really are not friendly and if you live in the same place for 20+ years you probably will never say two words to your neighbors. Really isn't much different than Queens or NJ unless you consider the North Shore of Nassau county.

Is $500,000 for a starter home with $8,000 in annual property taxes and $200 a month for commuting reasonably priced??? Maybe if you are single making $200,000 a year or more and do nothing in your spare time but shop & spend money (and put down others who don't subscribe to this extreme consumerism) then long island is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island