Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 45,359 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been searching for a house for the past 4 months with little luck. We've seen a few nice homes that we liked, but there always a reason not to purchase (inspection issues, not enough room in house, offer went in before us etc).

We saw a house this weekend in West Babylon that we really liked, but are a little concerned with its proximity to Wyandanch. The house is located south of the Southern state between Wellwood Ave. and Straight Path.

We have hear conflicting information about West Babylon. The block the house is on looked like the homes were nice and well taken care of. We're going to drive through the neighborhood again before making any real decisions. But thought I'd ask if anyone is familiar with this part of West Babylon as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by BC1234LI; 04-26-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM

330 posts, read 887,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1234LI View Post
Hi everyone!

My husband and I have been searching for a house for the past 4 months with little luck. We've seen a few nice homes that we liked, but there always a reason not to purchase (inspection issues, not enough room in house, offer went in before us etc).

We saw a house this weekend in West Babylon that we really liked, but are a little concerned with its proximity to Wyndanch. The house is located between the Southern state, Wellwood Ave. and Straight Path.

We have hear conflicting information about West Babylon. The block the house is on looked like the homes were nice and well taken care of. We're going to drive through the neighborhood again before making any real decisions. But thought I'd ask if anyone is familiar with this part of West Babylon as well.

Thank you!
West Babylon is a pretty nice small town feel type of place. Very working class, feels pretty safe, close to a lot of things including the water, good property sizes. Schools I believe are average. But in the area you are looking in you have to be very careful because sometimes they will list west babylon schools but it is a half truth. You might have west babylon elementary but wyandanch high schools. No offense to wyandanch people but the school statistics are at the bottom and it will effect your resale not to mention if you have kids that you want to avoid wyandanch. Check the address on zillow and see the exact elementary, middle and high school listed because I know in that area a lot of the homes are zoned for wyandanch high.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
you should be ok south of the SSP.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 AM

153 posts, read 380,634 times
My oldest daughter's friend lives in the area you are describing. I have done many drop-off and pick-ups at different times of day in the area and have yet to see any red flags. Seems like a nice, respectble neighborhood.

I believe for the most part, if you're looking in WBab zoned to WBab schools you're in good shape. I'm sure three are a few exceptions, I would drive around the neighborhood with the radio off and windows down a few nights and weekends before deciding on any home. Even in the best neighborhoods an obnoxious neighbor can ruin a block.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 136,362 times
Is that not Lindenhurst?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM

330 posts, read 887,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD411 View Post
Is that not Lindenhurst?
looks like anything east of rte 109 is west babylon, this is that area though the northern part has split school districts, west babylon, wyandanch, lindenhurst.

Calling Walter Greenspan ... we should see a post soon about lindenhurst town lines

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Lindy map...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...st-please.html

Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon

For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon:

West Babylon is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central to southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Wyandanch; on the east by the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/West-babylon-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of West Babylon has a different border than does the "West Babylon, NY 11704" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Babylon and a place can have other than a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of West Babylon): places that have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Babylon are in the Village of Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of West Babylon with a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757", "Wyandanch, NY 11798", "North Babylon, NY 11703" and "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island