Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

80 posts, read 363,153 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. First time poster here, enjoy your posts and insights on the housing market on LI. I went to an open house last week and saw a wonderful home in Nassau. The home was a little outdated but Im fairly handy and can do the slight refurbishment/remodeling necessary. I can get a wonderful deal on this home the title of this thread is my only concern. The house wreaked of a spicy smell. The home has been occupied by an Indian family for approx. 10 years. My friend(who is Indian btw) said not to buy the home because the smell will never truly go away as it permeates the walls and carpeting etc. This seems a little far fetched to me. Does anybody know/ have experience. I really want this home and this is only thing holding me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Oh good lord...you will be fine (I am a second gen indian) Mom..so I do know a little bit about curry smell. Heck it even bothers me sometimes LOL. But yes..you will be fine...open up the windows and air the house out like you normally would. Unless the home is absolutely filthy and there was curry spices matted in the rugs..you will be fine.
What I am saying is that once you move in...they will be gone...so the cause of the odors will be gone. But it may take some elbow grease--kind of like a gooooood spring cleaning. Maybe make it a condition of purchase. "home must be steam cleaned and degreased?"

http://www.ehow.com/how_2265599_remo...urry-odor.html

Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
In addition to following mom2gurls advice, I would suggest you plan to rip out the carpets and remove all draperies. Carpets and drapes will absorb and retain odors.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
In addition to following mom2gurls advice, I would suggest you plan to rip out the carpets and remove all draperies. Carpets and drapes will absorb and retain odors.
Agreed, replace the soft surfaces that would absorb odors. A good mopping of tile and wood floors and a fresh coat of paint throughout will have the place smelling brand new.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,611 times
Paint, paint, and more paint.
The first house I bought had over 40 cats in it.
Just clean it like the anti-room of a gas chamber and you will be fine.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
I agree with ripping out all carpet and completely painting every wall and ceiling. Just before we bought our house, a real estate agent told us about a place that sounded wonderful...until you smelled the curry. Even the agent suggested having it professionally fumigated. The overpowering smell was a turn off and we looked further.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
My home was like this too.I replaced all the carpet and padding and repainted all the rooms. Alas the smell was gone.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
oh..if are getting a great deal in this market....that is also a big positive! BTW...the owners may have been lighting incense/candles during their prayers too (if they were religious)--and you can get "indian smelling candles"--so maybe that is there too. That is easy though..once the candles/incense are gone..so will the smell. Its like walking into a yankee candle store..you smell the candles because they are present, but once they are not present, there is no smell. good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Paint the house with a primer...specifically KILZ Oil based primer. Make sure it's the oil based one, they have latex also. Then paint normally. It works on fire damage which is the worst odor to get rid of. I used to rehab fire apartments, I know what I speak of. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:54 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
My DD bought a "curry" smelling house a few years ago and it worked out fine! She aired the house out, cleaned the carpeting and (eventually) painted. And now I see ads about a new paint that has something in it to take away odors? Maybe Arm & Hammer added to it?

Anyway, I say go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island